Old 10-16-2009, 09:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 252-255?/ticker/145

Height: 5'6''

Lightbulb Putting away summer clothes

I live in a fairly small studio apartment with not much room to have all of my clothes in the closet and the dresser. So when the seasons change from warm to cold, or from cold to warm, I pack away the stuff I'm not going to be wearing and bring out the stuff I will need.

The other day, I was putting away my summer clothes and bringing out my sweaters. I was thinking about when I'd need to get back into the summer clothes--it won't be for awhile! Living in Minnesota, t-shirts don't make much of an appearance until May, tank tops wait until June.

Will I fit into the clothes that I packed away? Will they be too big? I hope so! Although it seems weird, because I can't imagine myself being smaller than some of my clothes. I can imagine myself losing the weight, I think (not visually, but I know that if I stick to it, I'll lose). But can't imagine actually getting smaller. There's some kind of disconnect. Anyone else experience this weird disconnect, or the packing away of the clothes?

Last edited by Sandi; 10-16-2009 at 09:15 AM. Reason: title
paris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:18 AM   #2  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I have hated in the past when I put things away I have outgrown. Now I wish I would have kept them, but space was a concern and I got rid of them. I am pretty sure I would have enjoyed taking them out to wear again.

I'm not saving clothes as I go down, I have saved my largest pair of jeans so that I can see the difference as I go down, but that is it, nothing is getting put away for next year/season.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:26 AM   #3  

Oh yeah, fawn I agree. These are clothes now that I fit into, (and a few that are too small for me!) They were the clothes I wore over the summer up until maybe a week ago. Now it's too cold for them! I'm hoping that they will no longer fit in the spring.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:28 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

I just got rid of 80% of my summer/spring clothes. The only things I kept are the tanks and sleeveless shirts I can use for layering under sweaters. Tucking in that extra layer also helps keep my britches up until I can transition down to the next size! And, for some strange reason I kept one pair of capris. They were my favorite and they don't fit now so I know I won't be wearing them next spring. I look at them and think they go out in the next donation box. I will do it eventually.

I get the thinking behind it all but I say get rid of those summer clothes you can't use now and PLAN to be smaller next spring. You'll deserve new clothes then as a reward for sure!
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

Give them away babe. You ARE going to shrink right out of them so why do you need to keep them around? Think positive
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:14 PM   #6  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

I'm going through the same thing and I understand how you feel.
All my summer pants that I bought at the beginning of summer are now very baggy. I have worn them recently as they have a drawstring waist but they just hang off me, baggy bum and legs etc.
I would love to donate them but I've lost and gained weight so many times and I worry that if I gain again I will need them next summer or will have to lay out more cash.
How can I have faith in myself and get rid of them?!
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #7  

Yeah, I thought of giving them away. But I'm just not prepared to let go. Partially because I am afraid I'll fail, because I have in the past. And then I wouldn't be able to leave the house all summer, because I live off a gradute student stipend, which means seriously no money to buy new clothes.

Also, I don't want to give them away because a few things (like the skirts and such) I think I want to have tailored to my new size, because I love them so much!

Also, even if I keep losing, some of the stuff might still fit, if I lose slowly. I don't want to pressure myself into losing at a certain rate. I mean, if I go .5 lbs a week, then I could still fit into some of the stuff next summer. (last time I lost, I was still a size twenty when I was down to 211 lbs).

I suppose that these are all excuses (although the tailoring one is really true), but I'm just not that strong! I'm not going to use the clothes as an excuse though to not lose. In fact, keeping them in a way is an excuse TO lose-- Imagine what a great NSV--none of my stored summer clothes fit!
Old 10-16-2009, 01:19 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris81 View Post
Partially because I am afraid I'll fail, because I have in the past. And then I wouldn't be able to leave the house all summer, because I live off a gradute student stipend, which means seriously no money to buy new clothes.
|
|
|
In fact, keeping them in a way is an excuse TO lose-- Imagine what a great NSV--none of my stored summer clothes fit!
Sounds like you will need new clothes to leave the house either way
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:31 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieJ08 View Post
Sounds like you will need new clothes to leave the house either way
I know, you're right! Can't use that as an excuse not to lose either! Smaller clothes are cheaper, luckily...I think I'll be a regular at thrift stores!
Old 10-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

I hear you!!

Last fall, I was planning to do WLS but it got cancelled at the very last minute (for which I thank someone upstairs, as I'm now certain it would have been the wrong decision for me...)

I kept two pairs of capris that were a little too tight, thinking that I'd probably be able to wear them before the cold weather fully set in...

Luckily, those pants are now TOO BIG.

But, I'm afraid to give away my fat clothes too! I have so many bad memories of losing a tiny big of weight, getting excited, buying new clothes, blowing my clothing budget, and then gaining back the weight and having almost new clothes that didn't fit... and nothing nice to wear, and NO MONEY to buy more.

So, now I'm afraid to give away my fat pants... but I did throw away this ginormous purple mu-mu dress that I got from Walmart at the beginning of the summer when I was at my all time highest weight.

I will NEVER EVER EVER wear that size or that style of dress again. EVER.

I say man up and give the clothes away... I hope I'll have the guts to do the same thing soon.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:49 PM   #11  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Thrift stores are awesome. Being an air force wife I am very lucky. We have a place on base called airman's attic. It's like a thrift store, but free They limit how much stuff you can get and they stop letting you get stuff once you get to a certain rank, lucky me my hubby is still just under the cut off. I have been taking my too big stuff there and grabbing smaller sizes. I also go to other thrift stores, including goodwill. I figure it is silly to pay a lot of money for clothes that won't fit for long. I did spend a whole $20 on a pair of new jeans the other day, but I was celebrating excellent lab results from the doctor as well as onederland.

I am packing my summer stuff away though even though I know darn well it will be too big next summer (most already is). I have the space here to store it and I figure nobody going to the airman's attic will be looking for summer clothes for a while. I know they don't have a lot of room there to store things, so I plan to keep them until it starts to warm back up and then take them over. The place is also right beside the gym, so great for motivation. Every time I get to drop of things that are too big I see the gym and am inspired to go more so that I can get to drop off more clothes.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:01 PM   #12  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

You don't have to give them away yet. Hold onto them for next summer, then you can CRY and do the HAPPY DANCE when they all fall to the floor because they won't stay up.

I'm space-challenged too. Last spring I packed up all my fall/winter clothes and put them away. I remember wondering, will any of these fit next fall? Will some of them maybe be too big?

Well, I unpacked them all end of September and it was one of the happiest days of my life. NONE of them fit. Not one. Not even the flannel jammies. I had to make piles, 26/28, 22/24, 18/20...then find people to give them to. I have 4 contractor garbage bags just of the 18/20s that I'm giving away to a friend next weekend. I'll be giving the 26/28s to my sister, maybe some of them will fit, maybe the others will inspire her to lose weight (she's about a 30).

So instead of wearing those old, LARGE, clothes, here I am in my really old SMALL clothes from 6 years ago. I am so thankful I kept them. I had spent a lot of money acquiring a very nice wardrobe when I was a 14/16 then after I gained all that weight back, just put them away, unwilling to get rid of them. And I'm so thankful I kept them...I have a huge wardrobe of really really nice stuff now, no charge. And I can't wait for the day when I'm so small I RUN OUT of clothes...that day isn't far away, either.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post

Well, I unpacked them all end of September and it was one of the happiest days of my life. NONE of them fit. Not one. Not even the flannel jammies. I had to make piles, 26/28, 22/24, 18/20...then find people to give them to. I have 4 contractor garbage bags just of the 18/20s that I'm giving away to a friend next weekend. I'll be giving the 26/28s to my sister, maybe some of them will fit, maybe the others will inspire her to lose weight (she's about a 30).

Yes! This is great! This is what I'm going to go for. I don't know when I'll be able to get rid of larger clothes. There is a place in my town that will buy used clothes, so that might motivate me next summer to get rid of some stuff. That way I'll have extra money to buy new stuff!

And I should say thank you to all of you who believe in me, even though I don't necessarily always believe in myself. It's very, very encouraging. I'm learning more and more that weight loss more mental than physical.