Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 10-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

Default closet solutions

I hope I'm not posting this in the wrong place. I figured the maintainers would be the ones to have this issue.
My closet is bursting. I've discovered my long lost love of clothes shopping I wish I had a walk in closet, but unfortunately I share a regular good sized closet with the hubby. He teases me that I will move him out soon. I can't bring myself to do that, but something has to happen. I'm wondering what closet solutions you have come up with that actually work. So many of the organizers don't look efficient to me. I'm thinking of hanging another rod in the very top of the closet for tops and skirts and getting a step stool so I can reach.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #2  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

What about for one going through each item and getting rid of anything you haven't worn in a year? I spring clean my closet now and then.

Or those hangers that hold 5 items per hanger? That might work for you.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #3  
Workin' It

In my last house I had a custom designed Elfa setup from The Container Store. Expensive, but fabulous. I just recently bought the Rubbermaid kits from Lowe's - Home Solutions I think they are called? (Previous rod fell off the wall...) I got one of the 3'-6' & one of the 4'-8' foot for the two walls. Love it. I have short hang, long hang, top shelves and middle shelves for stuff. I also still use the rolling drawer rack from The Container Store. I'm planning to get extender rods soon and get some shoe shelves to put down along the floor. I bought one of those Grab It things you see advertised to get cans off the top shelves of the pantry and use it to get things off my top shelf (purses, hats, etc). I'll see if I can get a pic of my new closet when I get home.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #4  
Workin' It

I used to use the layered hangers that held multiple items - be careful with those. The ones I had were metal, held 6 blouses, great. Weighed a lot even empty and six blouses got heavier still in the space meant for just one... Added to the ripping of the rod from the wall...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:27 PM   #5  
Chuggin' along...

Do you live in an area that has enough of seasonal changes that would allow you to rotate your wardrobes through the season? During the summer, your winter clothes don't need to be easily accessible to you (or your DH's for that matter). If possible pack up the parts of your wardrobe you aren't using that season and store them somewhere else. This would help you go through your clothes frequently, too, and donate the things you don't wear anymore.

Of course I've always figured that guests don't really need a lot of space in the guest room closet, I might as well use it...
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:43 PM   #6  

Congratulations on your awesome accomplishment.
I can see why you are enjoying shopping.

Great job.
Reg4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Closet/drawer space is a BIG issue for me as well, now that I'm a certified shop-a-holic. It's bad. Close to bordering on out of control. Yikes...

Anyway, I too don't have a walk in closet. I have a decent sized closet of my own though, but it's just not enough. And drawer space - forget it about it. I'm busting at the seams. I've got plastic containers all over the place filled with sweaters and shirts - under the bed, in the linen closet, in the laundry room.

I do what Megan mentioned. It's not ideal, but it's something. I keep one season out at a time. Making the current season more accessible then the off season stuff. In fact, I just spent this last weekend making the switch.

It's a pain in the neck, but I'd rather have THIS problem with clothing then the one I had before. That the clothing was all horrible, overpriced, tent-like, nothing looked good and yeah, I'm sure you're aware....
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:19 PM   #8  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Not only do I swap out my clothes seasonally, I've recently gone to a 6 season swap. It is the only way to get all my seasonal clothes in my closet at once

I just swapped out "fall" for "late-fall, early-winter". The weather is downright chilly here in northern MI right now.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #9  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountingDown View Post
Not only do I swap out my clothes seasonally, I've recently gone to a 6 season swap. It is the only way to get all my seasonal clothes in my closet at once

I just swapped out "fall" for "late-fall, early-winter". The weather is downright chilly here in northern MI right now.
I usually have to do this too. There's a lot of in-between clothing to be dealt with. But luckily (sarcastically said), we've seemed to have skipped that lovely in-between fall weather and gone straight to winter like temps. Yuck. I feel terribly, terribly gypped of all my gorgeous fall clothing. All those fabulous blouse and jackets. Yesterday it was a fabulous turtleneck sweater and winter coat. I love those too, but like I said, I missed out on some other stuff that I was looking forward to wearing all summer.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote