Old 10-14-2009, 05:46 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/ticker/176

Height: 180cm/6ft

Default Rant.. I DON'T WANT CAKE!

The universe has transpired against me this week. I haven't been feeling that "strong" with my willpower and didn't need any sort of temptation.

So what happens? In three days at work there have been FOUR cakes brought in - a birthday cake, a promo cake from a company and two from our test kitchen (I work at a magazine). Pavlova, chocolate mud, malteaser cake and ice-cream cake. Sigh.

I am proud to say I didn't succumb. I wanted to, but I didn't have any. But what REALLY annoyed me was people in the office who decided to hassle me about it. Comments like "Why don't you just have a really little bit", or "Just have some and go to the gym later" and my personal favourite "Ooooh, you're really missing out, this cake is awesome, you really should try some".

How many times do you have to say, 'No thanks, I don't feel like any' or 'I'm trying to be good' before people will FREAKIN LISTEN and RESPECT YOUR CHOICES!!!! Grrrrrrrrr!

It's hard enough to say no, without people being on your case about it. Made me so mad. I just felt like they were trying to sabotage me and throw me off track, which is probably paranoid, but I would NEVER hassle someone about eating cake when I know they are busting their butt to lose weight.

Ah, feel better now. Thanks for listening!

Last edited by Aussie Nikki; 10-14-2009 at 05:48 AM.
Aussie Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 176/143/138

Height: 5'7

I completely sympathise. Cakes and morning teas at my work are the standard - sometimes several times in one week (the joys of the public service!).

I think a lot of the time people make those comments to you in an attempt to justify to themselves why THEY are eating it.

I usually just ignore them. Sometimes I will work a piece of cake into my daily plan because to me I need to live a little but for the main I tend to walk past the cake table and move on.

Last edited by Lyria; 10-14-2009 at 05:55 AM.
Lyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:55 AM   #3  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Sometimes you have to slap them. Seriously. Throttling also helps
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:07 AM   #4  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
LMAO - You make my day.

Sending supportive thoughts to Aussie Nikki for having to turn down seriously good cakes - in my office I have to turn down commercial sheet cakes that taste like moist cardboard. I am fascinated that ballerinas were so valued in the 1930's that the Aussies invented a cake in honor of Anna Pavola. It's the aurora, not the taste, that would be hard for me.

BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:17 AM   #5  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

For me, having someone "pushing" treats works well as I'm stubborn so I can resist a person much easier than the silent call of the treat itself.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:11 AM   #6  
Lindsay

S/C/G: 220/210/150

Height: 5'7

well, allI have to say is congrats on fighting your temptations. lol. WAY TO GO!!
Mickeypnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

There's always the classic "Why is it so important to *you* that *I* eat this?"
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #8  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
Yeah. I mean some times people just don't get the "no thanks, I don't want cake" thing. Maybe I don't like cake, maybe I'm stuffed from lunch, maybe its a flavor I don't care for. People have issues with respect, and in these cases, I think Icon is right. Just hit them.
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #9  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
the Aussies invented a cake in honor of Anna Pavola.
Or the Kiwis depending on which way you swing
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 315 heighest/Feb09 286/254/150

Height: 5ft 6 inches

Lol. If it's not a tiny office and you don't mind a little prevarication you can always say "Oh I already had some" and point to your trash can. I've had to resort to that to get coworkers off my back before.
Misora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:16 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

you could say you are allergic to one of the ingredients, that will usually stop people from pushing it on you.

or just take a piece to your desk and when noone is looking wrap it in a napkin and throw it out
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:17 PM   #12  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I'm all for a good lie - "I had some," "my doctor has me on a wheat-free diet, he thinks I may have celiac disease," "I'm on a medication that will make me spontaneously combust if I eat sugar, it's not the instantly dying that concerns me, it's that I might take out several co-workers with me when I go... Oh, hey that does look good, though would you mind if I had a bite of yours, you may want to stand back a few feet, just in case."

Last edited by kaplods; 10-14-2009 at 03:17 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:39 PM   #13  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

I like to change the subject. I work for a company that makes chocolate, so we always have some sort of goodies on hand, whether they're from trade shows or lab trails or whatever. If someone pressures me to have something that I don't want, I'll say something like, "No thanks, I'm getting in shape for my wedding next summer." If that isn't enough to get them to back off, I'll launch into some long story about how we've just picked a date and are trying to decide between a few different venues, and on and on... Eventually their eyes glaze over and they drop it

Last edited by smisen; 10-14-2009 at 04:39 PM.
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:08 PM   #14  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I hear ya- with halloween coming up there is candy EVERYWHERE! I've already had two pieces of chocolate!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 297/ticker/176

Height: 180cm/6ft

Haha! Thanks guys! Gosh I got a giggle out of your comments - throttling people, threatening to combust, talking wedding stuff... too funny!

But some really good advice though. I actually never thought of saying "I had some" or even taking a bit back to my desk and throwing it out. That would actually be very satisfying - saying to people "Yeah I eat cake AND I still lose weight", even though it's a lie! Now that would put the little skinny minny's back in their place.

Oh and yes, the Pavlova thing. I've also thought that is very strange, creating and naming a dessert after a ballerina. I thought it was Aussie, but you're right, after a quick google it seems the New Zealanders can take the credit!
Aussie Nikki is offline   Reply With Quote