Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #1  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Default Exercise (specifically running) After an Operation

I'm hoping someone has experience here or knows someone who's gone through this - in November I'm going to have an operation on my foot. I have Morton's Neuroma and am going to have the actual "tumour" removed.

I started 'running' in April, by using the C25K program and I am amazed at how much I love it! I want to keep training, go for a 5K or 10K, but I'm worried about signing up for one in December, for example, because maybe I won't be healed enough.

My doctor says 1 - 2 weeks, but I'm just not sure if I believe it. I don't want to lose the level I've built up to (though I know I will a bit) but I don't want to be unrealistic either.

Should I forget about doing a 5 or 10K at the end of December and shoot for something in the springtime instead? What can I do to keep up my fitness level? I do not have a gym membership at this time, but I do have an elliptical at hom. Seems everything I like to do has me on my feet! I could ride my bike outside, but I'm worried about the weather (time to get some new workout clothes for wind/rain resistance).

Thoughts? Experiences? Ideas?
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #2  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Velveteen--im so sorry about your injury.... Ive heard about Mortons Neuroma, but never experienced it myself....that being said, if your doctor SAYS you will be all better in 2 weeks, then maybe trust that that is really the case and go ahead and sign up for the 5K (i prob wouldnt try pushing the distance to far, up to a 10K yet--- you can always train for one AFTER the 5K)
Did your Dr know you wanted to train when he told you 1-2 weeks?? Or is it 1-2 weeks just to be able to walk on your foot again? If your Doctor doesnt know you want to run, then maybe talk to him again, and see if he gives you a new projected healing time-line.
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #3  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

Thanks so much for your response this projected healing time is with the running in mind. I hadn't signed up for anything at that point, but I did tell him that I was running and doing other exercise and was concerned that it would put me back a few steps. He did say it's such a common procedure that I really didn't have much to worry about and would be back in motion again quickly. I guess I just am a bit pessimistic about that timeline because of my weight and the pressure on the foot from running/ other forms of exercise (so my other two are elliptical and belly dancing - both I will have pressure on the foot).

I should be walking after around 1 week he said and probably another week before I could exercise again. I unfortunately don't know the date of my operation yet, but if it's the beginning of the month, then I should be able to do a New Year's 5K, right?
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I have Morton's Neuroma, but haven't been operated for it, it's not that serious in my case, I guess... I only wear orthotics and they work wonders....

I would not run on it for at least 4-6 weeks, I would definitely err on the side of caution especially when it comes to your feet...If you screw it up more, then you will be off your feet even longer than only 6 weeks....

I think you should be more specific with your Dr. about what types of exercises, ie. running, you will be doing on a newly operated foot...

It really sucks when life gets in exercisings way ....

Good luck....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote