Old 10-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #1  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Lightbulb I think I need to try Mediterranean!

I've been doing South Beach Phase 1 for over a week now. I have quickly lost my sugar cravings and 8 pounds (some of which, most certainly, is water).

BUT, I don't think the Phase 2 is something I'm going to be able to sustain over time. I understand that I really need to have an eating plan that doesn't just count calories or points - certain foods do not work for me no matter how low-cal they are. Still, SBD just doesn't seem workable in the long run, for me.

I found a book at the local B & N as I was cruising the cook book section. "The Miami Mediterrean Diet - Expanded Edition." I bought it because of the recipes (over 300 of them & they sound wonderful!) As I read the introduction I felt that aha! moment coming on. This plan seems like a healthy, balanced way to feed myself (and my hubby, too). I think after my Phase 1 is up I'm going to give it a try.

I can see where someone who just hates to cook would have a harder time with it but I do like to cook and I am really trying to get away from processed foods!

Anyone's experiences/thoughts on this book/food plan appreciated!

****P.S. Update 10/11: I made the Chicken Escarole Soup from the book. Excellent!

Last edited by MissKoo; 10-11-2009 at 08:57 PM. Reason: Additional Info
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:59 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

Not familiar with that book but it sounds really interesting. I used to be a dedicated low carber and actually lost quite a bit of weight that way but after about a year of that I realized that I could not sustain it for a lifetime and ultimately you have to find something you can do forever. That is one thing about this approach to eating, it is sustainable. However, it has been harder than some other weight loss approaches I have tried. I have had to make several attempts at this before figuring out how to make it work for me. I think there are a few reasons for this one is definately all the cooking involved and trying to figure out a schedule that works with the rest of my life. The other is the fact that this "diet" is actually very permissive-meaning there are not many foods that are not allowed. Most diets have lists of allowed and not allowed foods-like South Beach. There's not much that isn't allowed here so it can be hard to find the right mix that keeps you happy and still lets you lose weight. Just my few observations about this.

Lastly, I will tell you about some books that I have found helpful. I mostly follow the Sonoma Diet which is basically the Mediterranean diet structured for weight loss. You may find those books helpful too. The cookbook is excellent. I also use a book called Eat, Drink, and Lose Weight. This is also based on the Mediterranean Diet. It gives you two diet approaches-one with all the cooking and one they call the "portable plan" for when you are in a pinch. It also has a little test you can take to see how closely you are adhering to the principles. And the other one I use is called The Mediterrasian Way. There is big overlap between Mediterranean and Asian cuisines and many of the recipes are interchangeable. In fact, there are several Asian recipes in the Sonoma Diet books. Hope that is helpful as you start your new approach. Unfortunately, this forum has not been very active over the past couple of years. Wish that were different but its not. I keep waiting for everyone else to have that "aha moment". LOL
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #3  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

There is a "Mediterr-Asian" cookbook I saw on Amazon. I think I'm going to order it. It's more of the types of foods I want to prepare and not "don't eat this - don't eat that." Sustainable health and weight loss has to be an overall life plan - I've tried every "diet" imaginable! I just wanna be healthy and eat good, healthy food that tastes good!
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think the book is associated with this website, which is really nice:

http://www.mediterrasian.com/index.htm
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I have this book. It is one of the 3 main books I use as resources. I like it very much. I don't think you will be disappointed with it. The recipes are very authentic.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #6  

Hi

I'm the co-author of The MediterrAsian Way, and thanks for your really nice comments about our book!

I'm actually very familiar with these forums because not long after the book was published the 3 Fat Chicks were kind enough to review it, and I answered questions on the General Diet Plans forum about traditional Mediterranean and Asian diets.

I'm still more than happy to answer any questions, and you'll also find lots of recipes and information on our website, MediterrAsian.com.

Cheers!
Trudy
trudyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:01 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudyt View Post
Hi

I'm the co-author of The MediterrAsian Way, and thanks for your really nice comments about our book!

I'm actually very familiar with these forums because not long after the book was published the 3 Fat Chicks were kind enough to review it, and I answered questions on the General Diet Plans forum about traditional Mediterranean and Asian diets.

I'm still more than happy to answer any questions, and you'll also find lots of recipes and information on our website, MediterrAsian.com.

Cheers!
Trudy
I think I'll be treating myself and buying your book for my birthday.
redsox33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 04:23 PM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsox33 View Post
I think I'll be treating myself and buying your book for my birthday.
Hope you enjoy it.
trudyt is offline   Reply With Quote