Old 09-29-2009, 06:20 PM   #1  
Wishes I could be a cat!

S/C/G: 249/241/150

Height: 5'2

Default Is it okay to take 1 day a week and eat differently than normal?

My husband and I usually enjoy going out to dinner on Thursdays. We use to go out to eat every day but now we wanted to make Thursdays special. Does anyone else take 1 day a week away from dieting and enjoy themselves? I am not talking about totally binging or anything, but for me I would enjoy some fried shrimp, veggies, red mashed potatoes, and a salad from Applebees. How do you all feel about this?
momto3kittiess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/229/200

Height: 5'3

It depends on whether or not having a free day would cause you to fall off the wagon or not. Some people simply can not have certain things and just choose to not ever have them again.

I do give myself one free dinner a week. Not a free day, but one meal. My husband and I go out to dinner and share a dinner salad and an entree. This way I'm practicing portion control and still getting a treat. Portions are so huge in most places that really all I'm doing is eating a 'normal' amount when I split a meal.

I'm in the camp that thinks it's okay to do this. I don't find myself spiraling out of control or getting sick with one moderately portioned free dinner per week. I think the only way to find out if it works for you is to give it a try and see how you react. I will tell you to expect a temporary water wt gain due to the high sodium content of most restaurant meals. My clothes will feel fine but I will be up a pound or two for a day or so. My weight rights itself by the time I weigh in (usually showing a loss for the week--don't panic) at the end of the week.

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.
ANewCreation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

It works OK for me and lots of other people. Lots of people will say no way. I think you have decide what's right for you - pay attention to how it turns out - and be willing to reconsider if doesn't work out as you expected it to.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 PM   #4  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I think it's totally fine as long as it's planned and it doesn't stop your loss.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:57 PM   #5  
Wishes I could be a cat!

Thank you all for your input. I would think that having that one meal a week would help you gain self control and its something you can look forward. Like today I really wanted to eat a cheese sandwich but knowing I can just wait til Thursday made it go away right away
Old 09-30-2009, 09:05 AM   #6  
Lil' Old Chick

S/C/G: 229/206/150

Height: 5'4"

Sometimes we forget we live in the real world, there is nothing wrong with having one good healthy meal out with family.
We all can't be brain dead dieters 100% of the time.
Enjoy your meal.
Me Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #7  
Workin' It

It worked okay for me at the beginning of my weight loss, but towards the it kept stalling me out. Though I also was getting closer to the calorie line during the week, so that might have added to it. DH historically takes an off day when he is dieting and it works for him. In maintenance it works for me.

I say if it doesn't make you binge on other days then go for it, though I would do a meal and not a day like others have said.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:00 AM   #8  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

One tip I have is to lower your calories for the rest of the day by eating less/lower calorie items. Plus, you can try to make better choices when eating out as well. One other thing I've done in the past is split an entree with my husband while eating out.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:07 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 340/278/170

Height: 5'5"

When I go out to a family visit I always eat a bit differently than I usually do. I still make positive choices, but I allow myself to have things like a slice of raw food cheesecake or etc. It is one of those "splurge" moments, but I personally don't see anything wrong with having a night out or whatever.

I mean if you're going out and having like a ginormous cheese burger that was deep fried and then a giant cake or something, well then obviously that is a binge. But a night out where you try something you want and etc, doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Like nelie said you can make better choices eating out or share your food, another great idea. You can nibble on this or that, I tend to do that lol. My only negative comment about it is eating something your body isn't used to could make you feel bad physically. I get that way when I eat fries, I really don't feel well, I get bloated and feel icky...even though I love em lol. So, I try to balance it with other options like roasted potatoes or something. Just an added thought there...

Last edited by Jacquie668; 09-30-2009 at 11:11 AM.
Jacquie668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:25 AM   #10  
Really gonna do it!!

S/C/G: 215/209/155

Height: 5'7"

I'm back on the diet wagon this week...after falling off many times. One of my issues in the past has been that I give myself a "cheat" day...but then one day turns into two, etc.

I still don't think that I can realistically go without the cheat day...it's not right for me...but this time what I plan to do is to carefully plan what I will eat the NEXT day. No spontaneous lunch dates, no leftovers, etc. I will plan out each meal/snack, so that I will get back on track. (I'm really obsessive...so this planning won't be any big deal to me!!).
DoubleDomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:09 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3kittiess View Post
My husband and I usually enjoy going out to dinner on Thursdays. We use to go out to eat every day but now we wanted to make Thursdays special. Does anyone else take 1 day a week away from dieting and enjoy themselves? I am not talking about totally binging or anything, but for me I would enjoy some fried shrimp, veggies, red mashed potatoes, and a salad from Applebees. How do you all feel about this?
The thing is, I've learned to enjoy myself WHILE *dieting*.

That being said, I think with eating those foods you stand a very good chance of stalling your weight loss.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:11 PM   #12  
Wishes I could be a cat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
The thing is, I've learned to enjoy myself WHILE *dieting*.

That being said, I think with eating those foods you stand a very good chance of stalling your weight loss.
I will see how it goes. I do not think I could diet and not have 1 day a week to eat out or something. I can see myself failing miserably and being unhappy because I have to eat diet food all the time.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:14 PM   #13  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
I will see how it goes. I do not think I could diet and not have 1 day a week to eat out or something. I can see myself failing miserably and being unhappy because I have to eat diet food all the time.
Hmm, I'd have to say that I love the food I eat and don't consider it 'diet food'. I consider it the food I eat. Even when I go out, I try to make the best choices possible. Sometimes I'll have a splurge item but generally I'm careful with what I eat, control the portions, etc.

I don't think I could lose weight and maintain the weight I've lost if I didn't enjoy the food I ate. Eating 'off plan' foods usually makes me feel miserable. As an example, I had sweet potato fries the other day, ended up eating half what I was served and still felt a little icky later on. I was glad I didn't eat the entire portion.

I also make sure that I cook flavorful but low calorie food throughout the week. And generally, we do go out to eat once a week but sometimes I'll skip it for a few weeks. As long as I'm making good food, I don't feel deprived.

Last edited by nelie; 09-30-2009 at 12:16 PM.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #14  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
I don't eat "diet" food per se'. It's food that everyone and anyone could eat and thoroughly enjoy. I'm a huge entertainer - you could just ask one of them, because they swoon and compliment me on my fare big time. What I eat is nutritionally sound, high quality, lower calorie foods that are ALSO incredibly satisfying and unbelievably delicious.

When I decided to lose the weight, I was willing to give up lots of the high calorie foods, but I was NOT willing to eat horrible, *diet* foods. No I need total enjoyment from my foods. SO, I found, seeked out, discovered DELICIOUS yet HEALTHY foods. Ones that taste fantastic while I'm eating them and are fantastic FOR ME, long after I'm done chewing.

I never, ever, ever would have lasted on this lifestyle if I was eating bland, boring, dull, tasteless food. We're looking to create a totally new and different *normal*.

I urge you to do the same - find foods that are delicious AND on plan. If you dread the foods that you're eating, chances are you WON'T stick with it. And that would be a shame.

IMO eating out and having special evenings with your husband doesn't have to involve eating fried shrimp and the like.

Give yourself the gift of allowing your wants for *those foods* a chance to die down and develop a taste for healthy foods. It WILL happen. Just give it a chance.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 01:18 PM   #15  
Workin' It

Robin & Nelie make good points. I find I can't eat the same foods I used to eat, and I don't even really want them. A few weeks ago I had my 'standard' meal from Zaxby's for the first time in months. (fried Chicken fingers, fresh fried potato chips, texas toast) It made me feel pretty icky afterward.

DH & I try to go out once a week or so. I tend to get healthier items than I used to, and still make the evening special. Sometimes I eat a light meal and get a nice dessert, those are my splurge items more than the food these days. I also make good food at home that is very flavorful, so I don't feel like I'm always eating diet food. I enjoy what I'm eating. Heck, last night I ate my broccoli before anything else on my plate.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote