Old 09-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #1  

Height: 5'4.5

Default What to look out for when buying lunchmeat/cheese?

Hi everyone

I'm on day 2 of induction and everything is going well so far! I'm lucky I've found so many great recipes on here that make me feel like I'm indulging

I have one question about buying packaged lunchmeat and cheese. I didn't see anything in the book (2008 ed) about what you should look out for in the nutrition label when buying packaged food. I def took a look at the carb count, but can we buy things with sodium nitrate? Every packaged meat had it listed as an ingredient but I can't remember if the cheese did. I went and bought lunchmeat from the deli counter but I'm not even sure if that's any different from what's on the shelves.

Can anyone shed some light on this topic? I feel like there's some things I should look out for that weren't listed in the book, but I've read on forums.

Thank you!

(Also bacon- is there only a certain kind of bacon we can get?)

Last edited by losingitbaby; 09-29-2009 at 09:43 AM.
losingitbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

to Atkins!
First thing you wanna do....dump that 2008 edition book and get yourself a 2003 or prior edition. The reason, those are the books Dr. Atkins wrote and advised....anything after his death (2003) has been "revised" by Atkins Nutritionals Inc. and isn't authentic Atkins.
As for lunchmeat, its a processed food and its basically best to stay away from it and all processed foods due to the high sodium content & all the additives. There may be some better choices at the deli counter, such as oven roasted turkey breast, chicken breast or roast beef. My understanding is that Boar's Head brand is natural with no preservatives.
When it comes to cheese, you want to look for natural cheese....not processed cheese or "cheese food". On Induction, cheese's are limited to 3-4ozs. per day of Bleu, Cheddar, Cow, Sheep or Goat Cheese, Cream Cheese, Feta, Gouda, Mozzarella, Parmesan or Swiss.
Dr. Atkins also recommends nitrate-free bacon....which you may have to look for in a health food store such as Whole Foods. Check the brands your supermarkets carry....you may get lucky. Also be sure not to get one that is sugar cured or maple flavored.
I hope this helps!
All the best to you!!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #3  

Height: 5'4.5

I checked out both the 2008 and 2003 editions from the library, but 2008 had bigger print so it was easier too read lol. I will def get to reading the 2003 soon.

I did buy oven-roasted turkey breast from the deli counter, but I will also look for Boar's Head. Thanks! I'm still concerned about cheese because I bought packaged "deli" cheese so I will keep looking into it.

Thanks again!
losingitbaby is offline   Reply With Quote