Old 09-29-2009, 08:43 AM   #1  
Eat Less Move More

S/C/G: 186/164/125

Height: 5'3"

Default Tell Me About Probiotics

I had no idea where to put this so I decided to come to my closest buddies here on 3FC.

Most of you here know that I have dealt with IBS-D/C type symptoms for longer than I care to admit. I thought having my gallbladder out would take care of many of my issues; it has not.

I've been hearing a great deal about Probiotics and with the little bit of research I have done it sounds like a miracle supplement.

Please help educate me so that I can make an informed decision. If you use Probiotics please tell me the brand and why. What about prebiotics?
CruiseCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #2  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

hey cruise! I don't have much info on pro or prebiotics. I do know that keeping up my fiber really helps my digestive issues, and when I'm having major problems adding a daily yogurt seems to help. please pass on anything you find out so we can all be educated : )
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #3  
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

Cruise - I found a probiotic that I really like. It's New Chapter brand and it's called Probiotic Colon. I also have problems with IBS issues, usually food related, and I found that it calms things down nicely.

weighlosswanted - I think that most yogurts have live probiotic cultures and I used to eat it daily for the same reason that you do. Unfortunately, yogurt and all dairy products give me IBS issues, so I have to take probiotics in capsule form.

Cruise, do you ever find that certain foods can trigger your episodes?
presmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:37 AM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

CAT, I've been blessed with a cast-iron digestive system, so I can't personally attest to any one thing. I have read that the healthiest groups of people on the planet have some form of a fermented food as a near-daily part of their diets - think miso, tempeh, sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir ... and this is suspected to be a major component in gut health. I HAVE been a member of the Life Extension Foundation for many years, and I find their website, lef.org, to be a huge resource for me. If you go there and search on IBS, you will find lots of studies, and recommendations for supplements. Good luck!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #5  
Eat Less Move More

Thanks for the link ICU, I'll go check it out.

Pres - It's funny for the life of me I cannot figure out what will cause a flare up of either the constipation or diarrhea. I have logged both my food and BM habits for almost a year and there isn't a pattern. I have decided in addition to taking a probiotic I am going to give up coffee.

WLW - I found this site to be the most helpful:

http://www.ei-resource.org/treatment...nd-prebiotics/

At this point I am going to try "Align", it has GREAT reviews from users at Drugstore.com:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...=29904&tab=1#1

I'll be sure to keep you all posted.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:23 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 215/201/175

Height: 5"6"

Cruise keep us posted on how the Align is working for you.
KDHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 06:23 AM   #7  
Eat Less Move More

I guess I should update this thread.....

At the same time I started the Align I also stopped drinking coffee and the results were terrific. After two weeks I stopped the Align and for the first couple weeks all went well until this last week my IBS-D symptoms came back. At this point I am going to start taking the Align again; especially seeing how I am getting ready to go on vacation and I expect my eating won't be great.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:11 AM   #8  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Ooh, CruiseCat--you are brave! I could never give up my coffee! I do hope you are able to sort this out. I tend to lean towards the constipated side myself, so I do take fiber pills and eat yogurt and prunes often.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 257/250/150

Height: 5' 3"

I take a vitamin supplement that includes probiotics called Four Pillars. Its available at jonnybowden.com I also eat yogurt almost everyday-that's also your other option.
petra65 is offline   Reply With Quote