Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 09-23-2009, 05:55 PM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Default The high price of being - small.....

They give you less and charge you MORE.

I was in Macys' department store today. I found a bunch of gorgeous stuff. I found this one beautiful multi-colored, ruffled blouse with a pinched waist. I fell in love with it and it's 40% off. I'm going through the sizes, L, L, L, M, L, L, XL, L, PS (pay dirt!!!) I found a PETITE small!!! Okay. I try it on along with all the other gorgeous stuff (wound up buying waay too much) and I LOVE it. I take it to the register and it only comes up as 25% off. I tell the lady at the register that it came off a rack clearly marked 40% off. She takes a look at it and sees it's a petite and tells me the petite one is only 25% off. It was placed on that rack by mistake. THE NERVE!!!!!!

They are in actuality giving me LESS, but charging me MORE. I couldn't believe it. I was MUCHO upset. I felt like I was back in the old days when I was being ripped off by the PLUS sized companies. But at least back then there WAS more material. And in my case, since I was wearing the largest size there was LOTS more material... well, maybe it all evened out. But not really. What a nerve. Taking advantage of the petite.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 06:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

But, I'll bet it looks great on you !!!
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:14 PM   #3  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

LOL - I agree - it is very frustrating to pay MORE for small sizes!

That being said, I have also found that the petite rack can have lower prices than the regular one on the same clothing in some stores.
I have found this to be true at:
JJill (online)
Kohl's (online and sometimes in the store)
Pendelton (Outlet Store)
JCPenneys (in store)
SierraTradingPost (online)
Burlington Coat Factory (in store)

And, bargoo is right - regardless of the price, I bet it looks GREAT!

Last edited by CountingDown; 09-23-2009 at 07:15 PM.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:10 AM   #4  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Pillowcases often cost more than whole sheets. It's because the amount of work involved in sewing a small item like that is more than in sewing a big item. Tiny seams and detail work is harder than long straight seams. The fabric is cheap; labor is expensive.

I'm not sure that is what is going on with the petites, I suspect it's more a matter of supply and demand--50% of women in the United States are 5' 4" or under, which is a petite size, but there's a whole heckova lot more regular size clothing out there. As a former petite, I agree, it's very annoying.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 01:22 AM   #5  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

oooh..love Macy's! Love the pinch waist things too..I know just the style you mean!

Every time I put on a petite I feel like a:

*Transvestite
*Gorilla

Pick either answer and it would be correct! LOL--my arms and legs are too dadgummed long for P section! I guess I will stick with the cheap racks. LOL
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 02:02 AM   #6  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Not to mention the additional costs associated with trying things on, liking everything, and then buying everything!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 04:53 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Not to mention the additional costs associated with trying things on, liking everything, and then buying everything!
Okay now this is SO the truth. I came home with so much stuff. It's so hard to decide when quite frankly everything looks, ummm - great. And yes the prices were good too. I gave my daughters a fashion show last night of all my new stuff. They were oohing and ahhing. The two that were home called "dibs" on a couple of outfits for particular occasions they had in mind.

Barbara, yes the high cost of pillow cases always bothered me. It's like they know you're trapped and they've found a way to "get you".

The truth is, I have a hard time finding petites and am grateful when I do. . Even the section at Macy's is well, petite . Not enough of a selection. And that is the case with any petite section I've ever found in any stores. They really need to have a whole petite STORE. Now THAT would be heaven. Being 5 feet short, I mean tall, I've no problem with the legs or arms being too short. None. I'm a true petite.

Oh and thank you for that list CountingDown. I'll look into those places.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:37 AM   #8  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

RockinRobin, I feel your pain!! When I lost weight, I had to find all new stores to shop in, seriously. The "regular" stores simply don't carry sizes small enough, unless I go to girls or the small juniors -- which aren't shaped right, nor are the styles age-appropriate. I can wear a size 14 girls! Now I know this is a high-class problem. (whine: everything is too big for me!!) But it is a problem that I didn't expect to have.

Sears, Penney's, Old Navy, Kohls and such have nothing for me. My new-favorite stores are: JJill, Coldwater Creek, Banana Republic, Ann Taylor Loft and Talbots Petites. They all have a decent selection of smaller-size petites, although I am under-growing Coldwater Creek now as sizes creep ever larger. Of course these stores are more expensive! But, I watch the web outlet pages and holiday clearance sales and find some good bargains. There is also Petite Sophisticate, which used to be my favorite store. But it went out of business, the brand was bought out by Lane Bryant and reopened a couple of years ago. Since it's re-emergence, I haven't liked their styles as much and there isn't a store near me anyway. So, there are a few other options to check out!

So yes, I'm smaller but it costs me more! I do believe it's a supply and demand thing. It depends where you live too. Areas with a higher Asian population tend to stock more of the smaller sizes. In the areas where the obesity rates are highest -- good luck with that! It makes sense, the shop owners are going to stock what sells. On the other hand, sometimes I find the awesom-est bargains on the rack because the XSP sizes don't sell!

Petites of the world -- UNITE!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 05:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

I'm right on the line for petite/regular (5'4"). I find since I have muscular arms and shoulders I can't get them into most non-stretchy tops.

I guess they assume that petite people are also frail?

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:27 AM   #10  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Robin, yes! I would LOVE a petites store. Even better would be a petite store that carries pants in three different "petite" lengths! I'm like Dagmar, I'm 5'4" so I'm right on the borderline, and it drives me nuts to buy pants. The regular sizes are almost always at least an inch too long (usually more), and the petite sizes are almost always at least an inch too short. The Ann Taylor Loft petite pants are close enough to the right length that I buy them and just never wear heels with them, and ONCE I found a pair of "regular" pants at Old Navy that was the perfect length, but really it's frustrating.

Then I think, if at 5'4" the petite pants are just about the right length, what about those ladies who are only 5'0"? I really wish we could do sizing like men's on pants. Just give me a variety of waist measurements and inseams and let me choose the right ones. I guess for women's we'd probably want waist, inseam, and also hip measurement. But the manufacturers are afraid that we wouldn't want anyone to know our measurements or something I guess, because that would just be too easy.

My other petite size rant -- actually I have two. One is that a size 8 regular and a size 8 petite are different sizes altogether, not just in the length. If a "petite" is just someone who is short, why should my size 8 petite pants have a smaller waist than the size 8 regular pants? That doesn't make any sense. Second rant is about the store Express. Express is in general designed for tall people. Their regular length pants are something like 2 inches longer than other stores, and their tall length are 2 inches longer than that. But their petite length? The same petite length as everywhere else.

I should add that Gap's "ankle" length (what moron came up with that name?) is also about the right length for me.

Last edited by paperclippy; 09-24-2009 at 09:28 AM.
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:01 AM   #11  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

Count me in as wanting a petite store!!! At 5'3" it is so hard to find a nice selection of jeans that don't look like "mommy jeans" or my teenagers throw aways. So far Gap comes close but the size 2 ankles are getting loose.

I decided to try on my 10 year old daughters size 14 girls pants.....they fit. I really don't want to shop at Limited Too!
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:52 AM   #12  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiL View Post
I decided to try on my 10 year old daughters size 14 girls pants.....they fit. I really don't want to shop at Limited Too!
The problem with girls pants is usually the rise is extremely low, so it fits my size but not my womenly "shape". And pink with purple flowers looks a bit odd on a 50-year old with gray hair ...!
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:08 AM   #13  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I still can't figure out whether you chicks are complaining or bragging!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #14  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Then I think, if at 5'4" the petite pants are just about the right length, what about those ladies who are only 5'0"? I really wish we could do sizing like men's on pants. Just give me a variety of waist measurements and inseams and let me choose the right ones. I guess for women's we'd probably want waist, inseam, and also hip measurement. But the manufacturers are afraid that we wouldn't want anyone to know our measurements or something I guess, because that would just be too easy.
Land's End will hem some of their pants which has been a lifesaver for me. Like Jessica, I'm 5'4" so the standard petite lengths are iffy. But I do need the low rise that true petites have (and manufacturers don't seem to realize that I need the same low rise in shorts, and capris, and duh! pajama pants!). I also found a style of Dockers (Metro) that have the right rise and length in their petite size. Of course, the store had only one pair in my size, but I was then able to order other colors online (and on sale ).

I love JJill and Coldwater Creek and try to buy their stuff when it's on sale. You can have them send you emails with their specials. For instance today I got one from Dockers on a 1 day sale online only....
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 12:51 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
But I do need the low rise that true petites have (and manufacturers don't seem to realize that I need the same low rise in shorts, and capris, and duh! pajama pants!).
Ugh, PJ pants are the worst for a high high high rise, even when you're not petite! But ones that are meant to be low-rise show butt cleavage.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 09-24-2009 at 12:52 PM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote