Old 09-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #1  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Default Big girls dress...like toddlers???

OK that's a weird heading!

But I was buying a 4X outfit for my friend's daughter and bought it off the rack, no "trying it on" of course, as the mum says "it just has to go around her"

THAT'S HOW I USED TO BUY CLOTHES TOO!!!

a nice colour, generous cut, went around me and revealed no details of the shape beneath, also in a 4X.

I was a giant toddler lol
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #2  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Hmm, a very good observation when you consider I ate like a toddler whose parents weren't watching!
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:06 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/190

Height: 5'9"

I still buy clothes like that. Find a sale - try it on - if it fits, I buy it. I have long since quit trying to find things that I actually think look good on me, because I don't think ANYTHING looks good. Hopefully that will change!
bcort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:17 PM   #4  
Bonnie

S/C/G: 307.5/237.5/160

Dont feel Bad When I go Shopping and I will find a shirt that looked nice on me and then I buy several different colors of the same shirt. Jest so I dont have to keep looking and getting discouraged when nothing fits.....
Butterfly50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:46 PM   #5  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Bonnie - I do the same thing! I have lots of colors of the same shirts.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #6  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

That wasn't my experience, and it makes me a little sad to see overweight women dress themselves in shapeless, oversized clothing. Even at my heaviest I took the time to select clothes that flattered me as best they could, tried them on and didn't just buy something because it fit, it had to look good, too. I also chose (and continue to choose) form-fitting clothes for the most part. Then again, I also wear sleeveless tops so I obviously don't have issues with showing my body. In my mind, no one's under the delusion that I'm hiding a trim body under those clothes, so I may as well dress well, in clothes that fit.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:04 PM   #7  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Lesley - I agree...my clothes have to be flattering - a good color and style...but in my case, flattering usually means loose tops that are long enough to go below my waist and cover a little bit of my tummy. I don't tuck anything in right now.
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:22 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I am the same way butterfly- I do have nice clothes that fit me, but for things like work I'll have like 3-4 shirts same cut different color.

As I've lost weight I've brought more variation into my clothes though
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I understand - I used to be a 3x toddler.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #10  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitChick View Post
That wasn't my experience, and it makes me a little sad to see overweight women dress themselves in shapeless, oversized clothing. Even at my heaviest I took the time to select clothes that flattered me as best they could, tried them on and didn't just buy something because it fit, it had to look good, too. I also chose (and continue to choose) form-fitting clothes for the most part. Then again, I also wear sleeveless tops so I obviously don't have issues with showing my body. In my mind, no one's under the delusion that I'm hiding a trim body under those clothes, so I may as well dress well, in clothes that fit.
BRAVO....I'm pretty much the same way. I try. I have to. I feel like I"m faking sometimes but I have to try.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:32 PM   #11  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottie63 View Post
BRAVO....I'm pretty much the same way. I try. I have to. I feel like I"m faking sometimes but I have to try.
I agree. I think that was the only thing I refused to let myself go with. It's like my last pretension at respecting my outward appearance.

Shopping is a nightmare, not because I can't find things that fit, but because its often hard to find things that fit the way I think they should i.e. without exposed rolls and spare tires and camel toe and muffin top(s) and HBS (hanging belly syndrome) and all the assorted body woes that come with being obese. But I try, try and try and even though it takes time and a lot of trying on stuff (online shopping is a lifesaver), one always eventually finds things that make your body situation appear a little better than it is (even if you don't exactly look skinny or anything). My mom always says what you wear is a reflection of how much you respect and value yourself and how you think you deserve to be treated and while I think that's a little shallow, she IS right to a certain extent.

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 09-22-2009 at 06:34 PM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:06 AM   #12  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

I would love to find a personal dresser, for when I've finished losing weight. (I know I deserve it at any weight but I can't afford to buy good clothes in every size on all the way down I've still to go.). My own personal Trinny and Suzannah, or Gok Wan, at least he remembers what feeling fat is like.
I like things that look nice on me but I'm not adventurous, and would like to be; most of my clothes are quite nice but designed to hide.

One of the biggest problems at big sizes is that decent clothes in big sizes are Very expensive. Many shops do go up to L - L being a UK14!! :O
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote