Body Image and Issues after Weight Loss Including discussions about excess skin and reconstructive surgery

Old 09-20-2009, 09:25 AM   #1  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Default Do Body Wraps work?

After a 55+ lb weight loss, I am left with some loose skin. It's not terrible, but I feel like my skin is pretty slack, despite tons of cardio and 3x a week weight training throughout this journey. I expect that some of it will resolve on its own over time. But I'm wondering if anyone has had a body wrap done and if it was effective for tightening up your loose skin issues.

Some additional info: DD22 works at a tanning salon here in town that offers body wraps. The owner is also a friend of mine, and no, I'm not being pressured in any way. But DD and her friend are telling me that another woman, that had lost 90 lbs, had NO excess skin after 2-3 body wraps. I think that each wrap costs about $60-75, so I expect that it would cost me between $120-225. I'm not sure if I'm willing to part with that much, especially if the results are negligible. Apparently, the process is that they wrap you up (I don't know if they apply any sort of creams or minerals.), have you put on a suit that doesn't breathe and have you ride an elliptical for 30 minutes. Sounds like it might be dangerous and I would plan to be really well hydrated and fed for any such activity.

TIA to all who can offer some insight!

Last edited by losermom; 09-20-2009 at 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 09:47 AM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Body wraps are meant to dehydrate you so that you appear to lose weight.

If body wraps did rid you of excess skin, they would be on every tv show and every doctor would be recommending them.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 227.8/226.6/150

Height: 5'2"

Default No idea

Though I have no idea if they can make loose skin disappear. I started this weight loss journey with loose skin so if it works for you, will you please let us know so I would keep that in mind!
niru78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 01:20 PM   #4  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
Body wraps are meant to dehydrate you so that you appear to lose weight.

If body wraps did rid you of excess skin, they would be on every tv show and every doctor would be recommending them.
^^^ Ummm - this. ^^^

It's skin. And it was stretched to accomodate the extra fat, and now the fat is gone. But the stretched out skin remains. You just can't make that go away without surgery.

Time may very well help it though. Somewhat.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #5  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

I will confess to having had one, near my high weight. I was motivated by vanity over health, and was obsessed with getting into a dress that was every bit of a full size too small. It very well might cause some surface dehydration, as I did lose a pound before/after. I didn't go into it expecting permanent results (good thing!) because I was back to my fluffy self in under a day and a half. But ... did I get into the dress? Heck yeah, and it looked awesome. My change in eating patterns over the last 9 months have accomplished the same thing - I can get back into that dress ... only this time it IS permanent.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 01:30 PM   #6  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
My change in eating patterns over the last 9 months have accomplished the same thing - I can get back into that dress ... only this time it IS permanent.

Thanks for sharing your story with us.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #7  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

A woman in my office lost about 25 lbs over the last year with some loose skin on her tummy (she's also had a couple kids, which contributed). She bought a girdle-type thingy recommended by her doctor and wore it to sleep in every night for about 3-4 months. She told me that her doctor said, when you lose fat the connective tissue between muscles under the fat and the skin itself has to regrow--it takes time but it does happen. To a different extent for everyone, of course. That's why you are supposed to wait a while after dramatic weight loss before having plastic surgery.

So, depending on age, amount lost, and most importantly, genetics, skin should tighten and tone to some extent. It's different for everyone. I'm extremely fortunate--I'm 40 and I have some loose skin of course but certainly not what you'd expect considering how much weight I've lost (<>130) in 13 months. I attribute this solely to genetics. When I get to goal, I will always have saggy boobs and tummy but probably not much worse than your typical woman who's had kids.

Last edited by DCHound; 09-22-2009 at 10:52 AM.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 02:24 PM   #8  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Thanks everybody! I think that I'll wait awhile, Spring maybe, to see how much my skin bounces back. My stomach, which I was the most concerned about in the beginning (it was a true apron) is starting to not look so bad. What I really dislike is the loose skin on my upper arms. I had always hoped for some awesome arms in sleeveless tanks. I can wear tanks, and I look ok, but my arms are certainly no where near "awesome". Time will tell. I'm not sure why my loose and jiggly thighs don't bother me as much.

At 46, and being overweight for 25+ years, my expectations may be too high. Clothed, I look awesome!
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 199/175/165

Height: 5'8

A few skin tightening treatments at a med spa is probably your best bet without surgery. Titan laser is what its called! Pricey though!
lookergirl76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #10  

Height: 5'3"

I have a photo shoot on November 17 -- do you think a body wrap treatment would work to *temporarily* make my body look leaner? I don't mind being dehydrated for a day or so... :-)
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 02:04 PM   #11  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

rachinma - if my experience was any guide - yes - but make sure you get it no further out than the day before! I know they can be kind of expensive - if you wanted to see how it would work for you, give it a try. I can't see how it would do any harm ... you just need to have it clear in your head that this thing is mondo temporary and ultimately like blowing money down the sewer. Lord knows I've spent more money on even more trivial things.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:24 AM   #12  
Deb

S/C/G: 257/240/150

Height: 5'5"

I have my skin care license...a body wrap will help you with losing water weight very temporarily, so for a special occasion - to fit into a dress, etc.

Spas have to be VERY careful about how they market that stuff, because it can help you "appear" thinner, but won't make you thinner, etc.

Many use things like essential oils, sea salts, algae, etc - and no matter how cool an ingredient sounds - like mentioned above, if there was a magic potion to make a big difference, it would be ALL over the news, and EVERY spa would be investing in it like crazy.
lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:40 AM   #13  

Default An update please

Quote:
Originally Posted by losermom View Post
Thanks everybody! I think that I'll wait awhile, Spring maybe, to see how much my skin bounces back. My stomach, which I was the most concerned about in the beginning (it was a true apron) is starting to not look so bad. What I really dislike is the loose skin on my upper arms. I had always hoped for some awesome arms in sleeveless tanks. I can wear tanks, and I look ok, but my arms are certainly no where near "awesome". Time will tell. I'm not sure why my loose and jiggly thighs don't bother me as much.

At 46, and being overweight for 25+ years, my expectations may be too high. Clothed, I look awesome!
I'm doing some research for a friend I sell those it works wraps they tighten tone and firm loose skin I was wondering if you ever found any thing that wirked for the loose skin Im willing to send you one free wrap in exchange for your before and after pics after you wrap?
Madlin113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:49 AM   #14  
Tough Turtle

S/C/G: 199/183/115-120

Height: 5 ft 4 in

When I hear ladies chat about body wraps, it's usually as a thing to do before a wedding or high school reunion when you are trying to squeeze into a dress, usually to make someone jealous. Never heard a peep about loose skin.

Last edited by bloominbutterflies; 04-13-2017 at 09:51 AM.
bloominbutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote