Old 09-19-2009, 08:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 184/129/130

Height: 5'4.5"

Unhappy Did I really mess up here?

Yesterday, I did great with my carbs 19.6 but calorie wise I went over or at least I think I did. I know it says you need to stay between 1500-1800. well I was at 1933. I was so worried about this that I got on my treadmill and burned 233 to get me a little under that.
did I really screw things up to where I gotta start over again?
mom4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:14 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4life View Post
Yesterday, I did great with my carbs 19.6 but calorie wise I went over or at least I think I did. I know it says you need to stay between 1500-1800. well I was at 1933. I was so worried about this that I got on my treadmill and burned 233 to get me a little under that.
did I really screw things up to where I gotta start over again?
To my knowledge, Atkins has never recommended a set number of calories....particularly if you are on Induction. If you are eating 20 net carbs or less per day of only foods on the acceptable foods list....you are fine. No, you do not need to start over
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:22 AM   #3  

Great, thank you. :-)
I'm not sure where I got that calorie amount (atkins.com or Veronica Atkins site). But I was so disappointed with myself last night.
So we're not supposed to look at calories then? Sometimes my calories will be as low as 950 and I will add something that won't harm my carbs just to get my calories up a little higher.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:43 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Rachel,
I am going to respond to your calorie question with a direct quote from Dr. Atkins himself from the book....the version HE wrote, not Atkins Nutritionals Inc.
"While some people who follow the Atkins Nutritional Approach may eat fewer calories than before, it certainly is not because the program limits calorie intake. People doing Atkins may end up eating fewer calories because they are generally less hungry and no longer obsessed with food. This occurs for two reasons:
1. Stable blood sugar throughout the day ensures you will have fewer food cravings and fake hunger pains.
2. The food eaten by a person doing Atkins (meat, fish, cheese, nuts, eggs and low sugar/low starch vegetables and fruit) is less processed and more nutritious than that on the typical pre-Atkins menu. Give a body fewer empty calories, provide it with more nutrient-dense alternatives and it will logically be satisfied sooner and require less food.
I hope this makes your question a bit clearer

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 09-19-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #5  

:-)
Great, I'll try to cover my eyes to the calorie total on my iphone "Lose it" Application now.
Thank you.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:02 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

Hi Rachel,

I use Lose It too on the iPhone. I use it to count up the carbs, but I do pay attention to the calories, because there is some research in low carb that has come out since Dr Atkins died suggesting that for some people calories do matter.

I don't limit my calories or have a calorie target in mind for each day, but my plan of attack in case of a stall is, in this order : 1) to return to lower carb foods (cut nuts, fresh cheeses, etc out again) 2) drop my carb count a little bit, and 3) cut back on calories.

I think for a lot of us on low carb we actually are eating calories at a level where we lose weight due to the reasons Kim mentioned (balanced blood sugars, less hunger, etc) but some people are able to really pack in huge quantities of food, and a lot of the low carb foods are extremely calorie dense, so I think some people can go overboard.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:34 AM   #7  
Larry's Angel

I'd like to clarify, for some people yes, calories should be monitored. That being said, and please keep in mind, this is my personal opinion & experience....sticking to the foods only on the acceptable foods list, especially during Induction, is the only way to do Induction. In other words, it should not be "tweaked". In the later phases of Atkins....depending on the person, calories may require consideration. Unfortunately, when foods are added back into a diet, people tend to over-indulge. A few extra veggies or a larger salad is not the same as too many nuts or too much cheese.
I hope this makes sense