General chatter Because life isn't just about dieting. Play games, jokes, or share what's new in your life!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 302/302/200

Height: 5'6"

Question why we wait for the perfect time to start ?

I was courious if anyone knows the web address of a site I found months ago and it basically delved into why we tell ourselves-- (Monday- After Christmas ect...) is when we will begin a healthy lifestyle.... I know it isn't Beck's I think it is either RD's or Phd's that have the site/book ... I checked my browser history and still cannot find it and Googling has gotten me nowhere. Watched biggest loser last nite and cried myself to sleep but I need help for the procrastination, fear and repeating my history of quitting. Any help??? Pls! Even if it is help from another book or site.
dinomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I did a quick google and couldn't find it either - sorry!

It is such an interesting question - I was always going to start next week, or Monday. When I decided to change my life in July 2004, one of the reasons that it felt different was my determination to start - RIGHT THAT SECOND. So I did and it has been wonderful.

My advice would be to spend less time wondering why it's so hard to start and just START! Start today!

I can't tell you the number of times I cried because I wanted to be thin, how much mental energy I spent churning, hoping, fantasizing, dreaming. Just spinning around and around in my own head. I dieted for 20 years, lost some weight, regained more weight, went from 140 lbs to 200 lbs - quitting/regaining, a hopeless cycle of self hatred and feeling worthless.

Then, I decided to change. And just...did. Instead of dreaming, I started doing.

I don't know what makes the "click" moment, but maybe you don't have to wait for it, make your own. Losing weight involves eating portions of healthy foods and moving your body - that's it! Buy a food scale, some pretty measuring cups, plan a menu for a week, go to the store, buy what you need for a week and then eat your plan. Don't try to wing it, don't try to get fancy, just follow the plan - for one week!

Pick a nice reward for the end of the week - like a pedicure or a massage, a DVD box set you want, whatever! Bribe yourself shamelessly.

Then, do it again for the next week. Plan your meals, make a shopping list. Buy the planned food. Eat your planned meals - carry snacks with you. Don't get too hungry so you yield to temptation. One of my rules that works really well - no eating at work. There are ALWAYS cookies, brownies, candy (yesterday it was a huge tub of Red Vines in the breakroom). I make it easy on myself "no food at work, that I didn't bring."

Food journaling might be handy - not just what you eat, but why. I did some food journaling and found out that I get snacky/bored every afternoon. So now I have strategies to tackle my daily snack attacks.

You CAN do this!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 11:19 AM   #3  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

I recently read a book about change--and the stages we go through before we start to change.

I don't know *why* we pick certain days and times: perhaps because we like to have a definite marker between one stage and the other.

You can get *stuck* in the contemplation stage--and it sounds like you have. The next step is to prepare. That'sall. Research your plan. Gather your materials--Glory was essentially telling you all that. And she's right--sometimes you just need to stop spinning the wheels and say, "This is it."

One thing I did before I Officially started was take a week (I could have taken longer) just to prepare. I only started on a Monday because that was when I--and all my stuff (my food chart, my food lists, and I'd bought a a kitchen scale and extra measuring cups)--was ready.

You can do this.
Will you?
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 12:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I know why I do it - it's easier, plain and simple. It defers the pain. Unfortunately, for me, it defers it indefinitely. I know if I'm picking a delayed start date, it means I'm not gonna do it. I'm either starting now, or I'm admitting I haven't decided to do it yet.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:52 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 302/302/200

Height: 5'6"

OM Goodness I am so happy with all of the advice. Sorry it has taken so long to get back to 3FC, has some family emergencies w/ the kids...nothing major thank God, anyway I did get the Beck book from the libr. and am devling into that, also I have planned a menu for next week-- You are all correct, I spend too much effort in the prep instead of just jumping in and working a program. I love this site and am inspired by so many of you!!! God Bless
dinomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:17 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinomama View Post
I was courious if anyone knows the web address of a site I found months ago and it basically delved into why we tell ourselves-- (Monday- After Christmas ect...) is when we will begin a healthy lifestyle.... I know it isn't Beck's I think it is either RD's or Phd's that have the site/book ... I checked my browser history and still cannot find it and Googling has gotten me nowhere. Watched biggest loser last nite and cried myself to sleep but I need help for the procrastination, fear and repeating my history of quitting. Any help??? Pls! Even if it is help from another book or site.
Well there is a lot going on in the holiday season. You plan on starting when you think you'll have more time, but then something else comes up and then something else...
noelf is offline   Reply With Quote