Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 05:18 AM   #1  
Scotland's finest export

Default Hump Day thread

Jess - great poll yesterday. So interesting to see what everyone does. I work on a weekly science magazine (it's international, so keep your eyes peeled for New Scientist!). i'm a subeditor, so i get to check spelling, grammar and all that, but since it's mostly science and technology stuff, i also have to rewrite large chunks of it. scientists are not the best writers, and tend to write very passively using lots of jargon! i like it, the people i work with are great and the location couldn't be more central, but as you guys know i'm waiting to start my dream job as a weather girl!
lisa - 1 pound is ok, better than 3! how's that REGIT??
winter - fingers crossed on getting that job you went for.
jenk - can't believe how good you are at running! i'm so jealous. i try and get into it every year (for my annual 5k) but i'm so slow at it. i might try again now the weather is nice, BF wants me to run round our local common with him. i wish i could!!
kier - keep us posted on the boy situation. "dumping his arse"! classic.
ok - someone explain "booty call" to me...i know the song...
my party last friday was a blast. i drank far far too much, but mostly champers so didn't suffer too badly and remember most of the evening!! and the weather has picked up over here - sunshine every day since saturday. so it's been bbqs and lazing around. most enjoyable. BF's parents are coming to visit for a few nights. they're lovely so should be good fun, but i'm going to rush home and give a final tidy to the flat before they arrive!
big hello to everyone else, boss hanging around checking out my screen. gotta run.
kirsty
Old 07-17-2002, 08:30 AM   #2  

Hi everyone-I am back from my mini vacation in NY-went to a wedding, and was planning my best friend's bridal shower with her mom nad the other bridesmaids. The bad news is, the scale today said I gained 4 pounds in 4 days!!! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE??? It took three weeks to lose four pounds, and they come back in 4 days??!! Sometimes I get so fed up with the weight struggle-it has to be constant vigilance, day in and day out-does anyone else get tired of this and wish they could just ignore points and eat what everyone else does?? Ok, I am done...needless to say I am back OP and trying to do some damage control before WI on Friday...

As for yesterday's poll, I am a Family Practice physician-I work in a Federally funded nonprofit community health center...most days my job is ok, but to be honest, being a doctor is not what i thought it would be...If I didn't have all of these student loans I'd probably be doing something else!
Old 07-17-2002, 08:49 AM   #3  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Default stale bagel burnt coffee THATS the breakfast of champions!

Usually its poptarts and coke-->my method for staying awake during exams
I couldnt get to sleep last night so i didnt get my cottagecheese or protien shake this am ARG so in deference to my bodies wants and needs Carb FEST! with a half cup of coffee today we're having a nice lunch Au bon pain and they have my fave salad which has basil and fresh mozzarella on it and a bunch of other healthy goodies
Kirsty a booty call is erm when someone calls someone else (usually in the middle of the night but can be anytime) and they are looking for sex or indeed Booty
Classy eh? Your job sounds great
Hi Lori! HAve you ever thought about changing your type of medicine to something more affirming pediatrics or something? I know what you mean about the loans i'm going to get smacked with them when i'm done
which might not be for a long time because
*drumroll*
I decided I wanted to go to Grad school
I might be a big dork but i'm passionate about media theory and how it shapes exposes and defines society sooooo I might become a doc too its not concrete I have to pass the GRE's first which i more than likely wont attempt till spring
Anywho Darlins its back to work for me I HAVE BOOKS TO SEARCH!
>capeflaps in the breeze<
Love
Kier
PS i feel sooo dirty for being the one to define booty call lol but it must be done!
Old 07-17-2002, 08:59 AM   #4  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Default Booty Calls

Good Morning everyone! Haven't even thought about working yet. The office chatterbox is back from vacation and I know I probably won't get anything done with her wanting to talk all day about her trip, so I really should be working, but I'm getting ready to proof something I re-typed and it's boring work.

I'm glad that everyone liked my poll yesterday. I've always wondered what everyone does, because you ladies all seem so sophisticated, I knew you had to have cool jobs. I was right!

I have my first WI at the new meeting tomorrow night. I'm actually kind of excited, not because I think the weigh in will be a good one, just because I'm starting a new meeting. Maybe starting a new meeting will be like starting WW all over again and I'll get that brand-new motivation. Crossing fingers....

Kirsty--Booty Call... How best to explain this? It may have different meanings in different parts of the US, but here in Nebraska, it's when you meet a guy (or maybe know him already--sometimes ex's will do this) and he calls late at night (usually), drunk (usually), and wants to come over or wants you to come to his place. The reason he wants you to come over is because he wants to "spend time with you" (in the least innocent way possible).

Lori--I wouldn't stress too much over the 4 lbs. I think when you put weight on in a short period of time (like 4 days), it also comes back off pretty quickly. I'm sure next week you'll be right back down, don't sweat it.

Lisa--I loved your story about REGIT!!! I remember days when that would happen to me, back when I actually had a social life. I used to follow a lot of the local bands in Omaha and was always getting my hand stamped. For some reason, the only soap that would take off those stamps was the soap in their bathrooms, so I was always needing re-stamping. But once I got home, it was imposible to get that crap off!

Well, while the chatterbox is still grumpy and waking up, I'm going to try to get a little work donehere. I'll check back in later! Have a great day!
Old 07-17-2002, 09:08 AM   #5  
Water Freak

Hello hello. Just in from another impossibly long walk with the dog. That animal is just an exercise machine! Too bad she belongs to my housemate for the summer so I don't get to keep her during the school year!
Kier- I hear you on the stale bagel for breakfast bit. I was up all night doing stupid physics (I am going to be very glad when THAT is over-just 2 more weeks!), and then I am in no mood to think about a healthy breakfast. Usually I try to have fruit around so I can grab and go.

Lori- Doctor...my mom keeps telling me to think about med school. I don't know though, all those loans you have to take out. A PhD seems like it would be much easier to fund

Kirsty-cool job. I am a slow runner too. I keep trying to turn my walk into a run, and basically manage to do something actually resembling a "run" maybe once a week. Maybe the next challenge around here should be a running one?

Ok girls, off to class for me!

Cat
Old 07-17-2002, 09:08 AM   #6  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Yes, REGIT is gone. whew. how embarrassing.

So, up a pound yesterday.... was doing excellent points wise. 4-point breakfast. 4-point lunch. 2-point WW bar snack. Swam in the morning and went to the gym last night. Then I get home and forget it. My roommate was done with exams so she made these confetti cup cakes! I had one before I even ate dinner. Then I had a 14 point dinner. So - I'm thinking the cup cake was at least 6 points... but I don't know.

To make things worse... I woke up this morning and had a another cupcake... what a way to start the day. What's wrong with me! I need to get back into gear and fast!

Kirsty - sounds like you're having a lot of fun lately. bbq's and lying around is my kind of summer. Yeah, a booty call is basically a call after 11pm, he's usually drunk, and asks "can I come over." It's quite pathetic... but it's usually quite funny. 9/10 it's ight when the bars close and he's on his way home and didn't find anyone to hook up with there... so he'll go through his phonebook in his cell phone.

Lori - Yay. Good to have you back! Hope you had fun in NY. I'm going there next weekend and I can't wait. I doubt you gained 4 lbs.... you're prob just retaining fluid. I didn't know you weer a doctor!!! Wow.. doctor Lori. My dad is an internist. Wow, Dr. Lor!

KO - Grad school.... congrats on the big decision. I know what you mean about carb fest.... I feel one coming on. I've been struggling lately.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:12 AM   #7  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Hi Jess! We were AGAIN posting at the same time Good luck at WI tonight with your new meeting. How do you like the leader? A good leader can make ALL the difference.

Cat... running slow. Let me just paint a mental picture for you. I am 4'10" - my inseem is like 20 inches... so I am so short. At the gym I run on the tradmill, and I'm running. I look over and the girl next to meet will be going the SAME speed, but she's walking!!! I run like 5.0 - 5.3 miles/hr and I feel like such a goof. It's totally because of the length of my legs though.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:32 AM   #8  
Cockeyed Optimist

Default Weird Wednesday

Morning Girls!

I'm having the strangest day. Actually, the day isn't that strange - I'm just feeling strange. I slept more than usual last night (with sunglasses on all night and no I wasn't drinking when that happened), woke up late, had a shorter than normaly workout and just ate my lunch (pasta salad) for breakfast. Whatever!

Kirsty - Glad you enjoyed your party Friday. I hope you enjoy the visit from BF's parents. And I'm really glad everyone else explained booty call because I wouldn't have been nearly so diplomatic in my explanation!

Lori - 4lb's in 4 days? You would have had to consume 14,000 calories above what you needed to function. It has to be fluid retention. Push the water and you'll be fine.

Kier - congratulations on making the decision to go to grad school. What a big step into the future that is.

Jess - I'm glad you're excited about the new meeting. I'll bet with a new support system you'll find that "honeymoon" phase of WW in no time.

Cat - I'm really impressed that you can take physics as a summer school class. I always thought summer school was so much harder (fewer classes and just as much work) so tried to take less strenous courses then.

Lisa - Sounds like you're having the same kind of off week that I did at the start of the month. It is very hard to get back on track but you've done this before and are determined enough to do it again.

Must work.

Winter
Old 07-17-2002, 09:46 AM   #9  

Angry

Good morning ladies!

Wow, you guys are such a busy group!! I have been busy at work and home and have just been lurking.

As far as a job fo me. I teach computer courses at a University. Not as exciting as some of your jobs!!

I am still waiting to develop the pics from my brother's wedding, I will try to get them done today at lunch and then scan them in.

DH and I are off tomorrow thru Sunday and are heading to Indiana to go dirtbike riding. We are meeting up with our best friends from Tenneesee and New Jersey. It is going to be such fun! So, needless to say today will be quite long knowing that today is my last day of work for the week!

I don't have time to properly post to everyone, but just know that I am thinking of all of you!

I will try to stop back later!
Old 07-17-2002, 09:56 AM   #10  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Lisa, you're probably posting right now, since we're ALWAYS posting at the same time...

I wanted to paint a running picture, too. I don't run slow, in fact, I don't run at all. If I were to do much/any running, I'd probably end up with a nasty concussion and two black eyes from my boobs bouncing up and pounding me in the face, no matter what kind of bra I wear. So, when you're concerned that you run slow, just be glad you can run without having to wear goggles and a helmet.

OK, back to work!!
Old 07-17-2002, 10:01 AM   #11  
Scotland's finest export

aha - so that's what a booty call is! me and my friend thought it might mean phone sex. now we know the truth.
hi tonya, winter, lisa, cat, jess, kierie and lori!!
maybe we should do a running challenge. perhaps our resident runner, jenk, could suggest targets to meet each week? like, first week: run 1 min, walk 1 min, repeat 10 times. try to do it 3 times a week. i dunno....any ideas?
back to work for me. later,
kirsty
Old 07-17-2002, 10:01 AM   #12  
Eve's Mom

Default Howdy Ho!!

OK Winter, must know why oh why you were sleeping with sunglasses on. Do tell......!!!

Kirsty your job sounds like fun! I do a similar task - I dummy-down the oil and gas lingo. So like,I explain siesmic exploration, etc, to the landowners and regualar joes. Its not always easy b/c I don't really understand it myself, I just get the engineers to explain it to me in great detail, paraphrase,and if it makes sense to us both, I write it. Most of my job involves landowner relations and newsletters, open houses, etc. Some government relations as well.

OK Lori, no WAY you are up 4 lbs in 4 days. You must be retaining some big time water girl! Were you eating lots of salt? I find in the deathly heat (its so hot there that chickens are dying of heart attacks) that I swell up and retain water.....that's a possibility!! Other than that, glad your trip went well. I am a brides maid twice in thenext few months and I am planning 2 showers and the stagettes all alone!! I am not even the maid of honor!!

Kier - I love media theory too!! I have thought about getting my masters in communications, but I am just not sure it would do much for my career (its hard to go back once you are making $$ so do it now!!!) Good for you!!

Jess - let us know how the first meeting is!! I WI tomorrow, though I am not really keen on it since I am on my monthly, and all swelled up from the heat....we'll see, I guess....

Cat - you'll have to buy a dog if you can have one at your apt.! I miss my dogs terribly, I try to go to mom's andwalk them once a week, but the old guy, Barney, he only lasts about 20 min before hestarts to limp. I end up carrying him home (40lbs)....yikes.

Lisa - a girl after my own heart (so to speak) I do that too - b/f bought a carrot cake, had a piece, left it at that. Not me, I had a peice and the next morning, had a sliver and last night I was tempted again (but I have been kind of sick so I didn't). I think I need to chuck it to not eat it. B/f won't be all that happy if I do that.....I don't know why we do it. we just do.

Tonya - let us know how the dirtbiking is! I have just re-discovered biking. Its fun (not dirtbiking though, too dangerous and after my rollerblading accident, I think I'll go the easy route!!) good for you!!

Well, on the weekend b/f and I are going to a black tie event in Banff. Its a company thing (none of the execs or my boss could go so I ended up going) and its paid for. B/f has to rent a tux (he'll look awesome...) and I am wearing my old bridesmaid dress form 1997. I remember trying it on about a year and a half ago and it didn't fit - I couldn't even start to zip it - but it fits perfectly now. I was so happy....but Istill feel fat in it. Oh well. B/f really likes it and goes onand on about it.

Well, I don't now if I'll go to WI tomorrow. Last week I missed (by no fault of my own) and now this week I am on a horrible TOM and I am all bloated andgross....I just don't want a huge let down if its up! I think about 2lbs at least....

What do to.......?

Well, have a good day girls, I should get some work done!!

Oh, and Kirsty - where are the pics from Lolly's wedding?????

Belle
Old 07-17-2002, 10:02 AM   #13  
Eve's Mom

Jess - I have the same image of myself running - I do run,but my boobs are like STRAPPED down...its a nasty thing.

That was the best laugh I've had all week!!

Belle
Old 07-17-2002, 10:04 AM   #14  
Scotland's finest export

sorry belle - will write a reminder note on my hand (anyone else do that?) and bring them in and scan 'em in.
hopefully tomorrow, but if not then def by friday.
there's a tube strike in london starting 8pm tonight and finishing 8pm tomorrow night so i might have trouble getting to work. which means i may not get online v much...we'll see.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:23 AM   #15  
Cockeyed Optimist

I am really wound up today. I cannot concentrate on work for more than a few minutes at a time.

Tonya - I used to teach computer courses at a college too. Not the complicated database stuff you do but (back in the dark ages) things like Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc. I loved that job! Have fun this weekend. Where in IN will you be?

Jess - Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I'm sorry that I laughed but it really was a very funny visual!

Belle - It may only be a 20 minute walk but if you're carrying a 40lb dog it's still a great workout. The sunglasses thing is not nearly as interesting as it sounds. I was really relaxed after yoga last night and decided to spend some quality time with my couch. I turned on the TV but there was glare from the windows. I was too lazy to get up and close the blinds so I just put on my shades. I fell asleep on the couch and apparently was so tired when I crawled into bed that I forgot to take the sunglasses off because when I woke up this morning I was still wearing them.

Now this time I really am going to work...I think.....

Winter
Closed Thread