UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:43 PM   #1  
Susanna

S/C/G: 210/210/145

Height: 5ft 4

Default Starting at the beginning

Hello everyone,

After being a long time lurker I have decided to start participating. I am ready to start looking at diet & exercise with brand new fresh eyes.

I am 42, size 16/18, 36F/G definitely apple shape (the difference between the top of my thighs and the end of my stomach is about 3 inches - absolutely ridiculous) I dont mind being a size 16 but hate this stomach.

So all you succesful weight loss apple shaped ladies, please tell me what contributed to your success?

Currently the plan is to concentrate on a protein dense diet, basically cutting out carbs during my evening meal. Cutting out the alcohol (been my down fall) . Never had a problem cutting out sweet things. Exercise, I am deciding between joining a gym or buying an exercise bike and committing to min of 30min a day.

Please slap me out of my dream world...tell me what you are all doing?

Thank you

Susanna
edrushuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #2  
Fancy Shmancy bo Bancy

S/C/G: 168/115/110 Now: 129/129/105

Height: 5'2"

Hey Susanna!

Welcome to 3FC. I did the same thing you did at the beginning...lurked around reading other people's posts, but kind of hanging back in the shadows because I didn't want to put myself out there. But it's been so awesome having the support of everyone in this community. Seriously, you'll never find a friendlier or more helpful group. So yeah, I wish you the best with reaching your goals, because you can totally do this.

I'm not apple-shaped, I'm much more pear-shaped, so I can't really give you any advice concerning that.

But yeah, definitely do the excercise! Not only will it burn more calories and make you feel more energized, but it'll give you much more incentive to turn down food and high-calorie treats you don't need. You'll think, "Okay, I just did all that work at the gym...do I really want to undo all that for a stupid bowl of ice cream?"
RedPorcupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:51 AM   #3  

Cheers!
Valikie
Out of the many posts, this one attract my attention. I believe it is possible for anyone to participate.
Excellent ! I like it very much.
Cheers!
behaptiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:40 PM   #4  
Focussed

S/C/G: 181/135/139

Height: 5' 6"

I too have been a lurker, reading the posts and drawing inspiration from this site since I first found it in March. I'm not an apple shape, I just felt fat all over and had gradually let myself go (I'm late 40s). I don't know what spurred the change really, I just took myself in hand and:
- cut the crap (bread n cheese/scones with butter...and alcohol)
- started cooking fresh food inc. loads of veg
- slowly started exercising (I had a Wii, then joined my local gym too and do cardio and weights).

I've not been on a diet as such, just changed the way I eat and live. I feel great (and younger) and have dropped clothes sizes and weight. Although I set myself a goal weight of 139 and have reached it, the journey's not over..it's just ongoing.

So, good luck and stick with it...the time passes anyway and it doesn't take long to feel a difference.

Fattuesday
fattuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:59 PM   #5  

Hi Fattuesday,

Glad to hear it. Let us know your daily routine. Me too, also a lurker. I am impressed also people here losing weight and be accountable for it.

So may i know your program?
kate looseme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:57 PM   #6  
Focussed

S/C/G: 181/135/139

Height: 5' 6"

Kate looseme (&Susanna)

I don't have a programme as such, though I tend to eat quite a lot of protein and relatively low carb (compared to in the past). Breakfast is a must - and a new habit - and I make sure that's protein based (eggs/hard cheese/have recently tried acquiring the taste for porridge oats but am struggling with it!). I eat more often than before and tend to have fruit and/or protein for a snack e.g. in England we can get roast soya beans under the Food Doctor label. I probably eat fish once a day, with wholegrain rice and eat tons of salady type dishes. I've really enjoyed learning to cook and experiment with dishes.

So, no calorie counting or points, but just good clean eating. So far so good. I have the occasional drink if I'm out or have friends round, but cutting that out as a regular part of my life was an important step and I find I don't miss it.

I alternate cardio and weights and work out 5x a week on average although I have generally become more active and less lazy (household chores are more of an excuse to move now than a bore...).

FT
fattuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 03:59 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 264.5/177/165

Height: 5"5

Hey
I joined slimming world 7 weeks ago with an apple shape, as much as I had big hips, thighs and a bum my stomach was out of control. Since joining I've lost 1st 12.5lb and so many INCHES off my stomach and waist. I've been eating whole meals and as much as I get full ,I never get that sickly bloated feeling I used to get. The food is pretty relaxed, I personally eat alot of fish and vegetables, home made burgers with lean mince, tarragon and garlic, noodles with a stir fry and chicken etc but I just don't use oil, I use fry light or the Flora sunflower oil spray or if I really want to use oil I'll use a virgin olive oil spray . Quite simple!!!
I don't go to the gym as my funds are a little low but I have started to walk to places more regularly, If I need to go somewhere thats 5 bus stops away I'll just walk it, there are also times that I walk home from work which is about 3 miles away. lol but it's all worth it.

good luck!!!!
SoulSurvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 07:49 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 171/150/145

Height: 5'8

Hi edrushuk. I think I am apple shaped as I have a serious belly (although I have had fat thighs too - they are a lot better since I lost weight). I have found very regular exercise to be the most helpful thing. I try to run, walk or swim every day except for one rest day a week - of course I don't always manage it but I have managed to turn myself into a "person who exercises", at least in my head. I have replaced the rather large lunches I used to eat with a large salad. I have also given up eating second helpings! I still crave sweet foods (it's good that you don't) and have been eating far too many biscuits lately, which I hope to cut down. Generally I find that exercising more leads to fancying healthier food so it is a virtuous circle. Good luck!
southofriver is offline   Reply With Quote