Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 09-12-2009, 10:07 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/172/170

Height: 5 feet 7 inches

Default I don't binge....but there is always bad food in my house :(

I tend to not overeat. Most days if I work at it I can eat 1500 calories a day if that is my calorie range. But there is just always bad food at my house...my mom buys it all of the time! Her favorite aisle is the soda aisle (no kidding) she also love to buy chips, monster muffins, other pastries like cookies and more.
Most of these foods I am ok with and don't want them. The chips she buys has trans fat in...I used to love those chips and ate them all the time. I haven't eaten them since I read what trans fat is and saw that they contained it. Muffins don't tempt me, nor do her danishes. Some cookies I love...
I love M&Ms and ice cream. This week I ate ice cream 3 times...one day she suggested we go out for ice cream...so we did. Another day when I was going to the store she told me to buy some ice cream for her...I had a few bites of that. Then tonight she bought 2 ice cream cakes. Nobodies birthday...just to eat them. I sometimes kid her that she stocks up for the war.
I don't know...is there a way I could tell her no...I don't want to buy her ice cream or take her out for ice cream? Or should I not be so hard on myself and let myself have ice cream every so often because I don't eat the other horrible things she stocks the kitchen with?
Dagny18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:23 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8''

Not to be rude or nosy but does your mother have trouble with her weight as well? I understand where you're coming from. My parents house always has multiple varieties of chips, candy, cookies, and pop. It's horrible because my problem is that I don't eat that stuff normally when I live by myself but when I go home to their house for any amount of time I go nuts with everything. If you're able to use moderation and not eat that stuff everyday then hopefully you'll be ok. But even eating icecream multiple times a week will eventually add up because it's nothing but sugar...there's nothing good or nutrional about it (unless maybe the calcium) but the caloric content kind of negates that. Maybe you can try speaking to your mom about how you want to eat healthier and keep healthier foods in the house. If you're really serious about losing weight it would be nice to have her support. And she can support you by not keeping all the junk food in the house. Best of luck to you!!

~D~
duqserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 10:43 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

hi! good for you for being able to resist the muffins and chips (I usually can't), my house is like yours and always stocked with junk and it's a struggle to not resist. My family also like to go out for ice cream almost every weekend, as well as going out to eat at restaurants.

Even though I'm still learning, what I TRY to do is when going out for ice cream is get the smallest size available, I feel silly ordering the kids size, but oh well. ice cream at home, if you are counting calories and you really want it, just have a small portion and count it into your calories for the day.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #4  

She does has a weight issue...I invite her to exercise with me and she won't. Or she will eat something (like the chips) and I will point out how they have trans fat which is very bad
She knows and supports my weight loss...but won't give up her snacks
I have been able to lose about 100 pounds. I usually resist it, but it just seems like there is so much food in the kitchen right now, and especially over the summer.
Also since I weigh less I am worrying that I can't get away with having treats like that so it makes me want to restrict it more
Old 09-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/see ticker/140

Height: 5'8''

AAhh gotcha. Well kudos to you for losing close to 100 pounds!! That's great! And being able to do it with all those temptations in the house, wow. But it's going to always be a struggle I think until you're not surrounding by so many temptations anymore. Just keep trying to fight the good fight I suppose since your mom won't give up all her treats :-/ Do you exercise at all?

~D~
duqserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:13 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/155/140

Honey, if she trully supports your weight loss she wouldn't be putting u through this. I don't believe she is doing it to be mean but perhaps subconciusly she still wants u to have the overweight bond with her...just a thought.
Jokan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 11:23 PM   #7  

yes I exercise and try to consistently exercise at least 5-6 times a week, with one rest day
She supports me because she helped me pay for Curves and other workout equipment like dumbbells and dvds...
Old 09-13-2009, 02:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

congrats on your weight loss already. sometimes moms just don't know any better and think they are doing whats best for us, so I disagree she's trying to stop you from losing.

some other ideas - could you buy your own ice creams, like the Skinny Cow treats? Just have lower calorie foods around for yourself. Put your mom's food in a special cupboard so it's out of sight.

There has been similar posts around, and one person pointed out it shouldn't be our problem to change other's eating habits and they shouldn't have to change their eating habits for us, since our lack of willpower isn't their problem. Sounds a bit harsh, but it stuck with me that they were right.

Just think, if we can handle having food around us like this, we will grow strong enough to handle ANY food temptations life brings us later.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:40 AM   #9  

Well yeah I tend to do well with other food temptations. When I drive by Mcdonalds or Burger king, it never occurs to me to go buy their food. I might think, wow I want to go home and eat my snack of fruit or yogurt, but not their food.
If I am with her she wants to go and eat breakfast or lunch there. I go in with her but never order or eat anything. I just wait for her to finish her meal...
I did buy the skinny cow ones once...I liked that they were preportioned and not as many calories as her ice cream...I also tried WW and Smart ones and it might have been what I tried but I didn't like those...