Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2002, 05:42 PM   #1  

Default Just a warning...this is very serious

This is not a post about dieting or food, I just wanted to warn anyone that has a big dog, such as a german sheperd, doberman, chow, akita, rotweiller, etc....be careful of your homeowners insurance company. Our policy is being cancelled unless we give up our dog. We have a almost 7 year old chow mix dog who is the sweetest dog in the word. I've never seen her be agressive with anyone nor I've not even heard her growl except as a puppy when we were rough housing with her. I called our insurance, and they said unless we give up our vicious dog, our policy is being canceled. I wouldn't own a vicious dog. It didn't matter that we've been with this company since 1983, have never had a claim with them except for a broken window on our car many years ago.

I asked the man if they wanted to just wipe out these breeds of dogs all together but of course he couldn't answer me. If no one will insure people who have them, what is the answer to this? I don't know what to do. I feel sick over this. I love my dog and it doesn't matter to them that it feels like I have to give up my own kid.

If anyone here works for an insurance company that knows about this, please tell me what we are supposed to do?
Old 07-16-2002, 06:01 PM   #2  
Is it Friday yet?

I'm so sorry Starkeeper...

I lost my dogs in my divorce a few years ago and when I bought my house I realized that maybe it was a good thing. They wouldn't insure me if I had a "pitbull type dog" (pitbull type being up to their disgretion I suppose). Well, I gave up a very sweet Bull Terrier and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier that was better with my 4 year old neice than our Lab was. Both of these dogs would be forbidden because they're considered "dangerous". In reality the most dangerous dog I've ever met was a freakin' Cocker Spaniel....

I also have a family friend who's got 4 Chows (full bred). I will ask her about her insurance policy and get back to you.

Terri
Old 07-16-2002, 06:38 PM   #3  
Empress/Queen

Starkeeper, I'm sorry this is happening to you. Frankly, if you have had the dog and the insurance for seven years, I don't think they can enforce that at all, but what do I know? I do know that no power on earth would make me give up my Old Dog, even if I went without insurance and the house burned down. Chows can be very sweet dogs. What idiots! I'm incensed on your behalf.

My most practical suggestion is to get online and on the phone and start looking for another insurance company. My second suggestion (as a reporter myself) is to try to interest a reporter in your town to do a story about this issue (it's in the news here because of a recent case) and use you in the story ... calling the insurance company for a quote in the process. You'd be surprised how this could help. My third suggestion: move!
Old 07-17-2002, 02:27 AM   #4  

I haven't heard any news about this... I have a Rottweiler who scares people.... I have heard a lot about rentals not accepting pets (dogs) It's all fall-out from the San Francisco incident.....
Old 07-17-2002, 03:29 AM   #5  
Empress/Queen

I wonder if you could ask the insurance company to add a rider to your policy excluding any liabilities from anything your dog might do? Just a thought.

It's truly bothersome that a long-established and basic relationship between a domestic animal and humankind is being downgraded and disparaged and that responsible owners of gentle animals have to suffer because of the irresponsibility of a handful of bad owners. It would be totally cruel to you and to your dog to separate you because of some stupid insurance company.

What idiots. This bothers me.
Old 07-17-2002, 03:33 AM   #6  
Dancing those pounds away

I just had to give you a HUGE {{{ HUG }}}
My heart goes out to you.
I read a study where they said the cocker spaniel is the most likely dog to bite. I don't think they should discriminate against them either.

It just isn't fair. We recently had a four wheeler stolen and the insurance wouldn't pay because we needed an EXTRA policy for it. Our riding lawn mower was covered and bikes but not the four wheeler. Why can't they just have your dog be a seperate policy too. Even that is not fair... but at least you wouldn't lose your insurance. A home is a HUGE investment to go uninsured.

I LOVE my dogs... and I would be SICK is I was told I had to get rid of them. I just don't know what I would do.
It just isn't fair being an all or nothing order.
Keep us informed what is happening.
Know we care even though we may not know how to help you.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:54 AM   #7  

I am wondering how the dog came to their attention. My insurance company has never asked if we had dogs or what kind they were.
Old 07-17-2002, 09:56 AM   #8  

PS

I hope you get this resolved. I also love my animals. I would hate to lose one of them.
Old 07-17-2002, 10:48 AM   #9  
Is it Friday yet?

Starkeeper, I spoke with my friend that has the 4 Chows (the sweetest dogs I've ever met) and she said that her insurance never asked her about dogs so she never volunteered the information. So, that leaves me with 2 suggestions;

1. Tell them you got rid of the dog. If they ask for a home visit, tell them they can call your attorney for permission to come in your house. That would be total "Big Brother" and I wouldn't think they'd have the right to ask for "proof" that you got rid of the dog.

2. If for some odd reason they CAN physically check to see if the dog's gone. Maybe it's time for the pooch to go on a little vacation.... A doggie spa for a few days.

The insurance companies are insane in this matter. My aunt had a cocker spaniel that bit everyone - even sent her to the hospital for 50 stitches in her finger once. However, I can't have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier because they're "vicious"? (AKC calls them "the nanny dog" because they're so good with children). Same goes for Chows... Too bad the insurance company will never believe one simple fact; there are no "bad" dogs, just bad owners....

Best of luck to you!

Terri
Old 07-17-2002, 05:36 PM   #10  

First off I wanted to say thanks for the supportive replies and suggestions. I really appreciate it cause I was so upset last night.

I called my insurance co's hq's and asked what I could do since my dog is an indoor dog, only goes out to go to the bathroom and she is in a fenced yard, never agressive, etc. I was told the only thing I could do was relinquish her and I had to prove it. So then I asked, well, who do I give her to since their insurance may not cover them if they take my dog, am I then supposed to have her destroyed and he told me YES. They will not bend on this and I am totally disgusted with them after he said yes to having her destroyed. I asked him if we are supposed to just rid the whole country of these breeds of dogs and he said he couldn't answer that.

But I talked to my insurance man today and he wasn't even totally aware of totally banning all these breeds. He thought it was disgusting that I was told I should have her destroyed. I'm the one who told them she was a chow mix cause I had no idea they were banning these dogs, I thought it was because they thought she would do damage. And my insurance man gave me some info about getting a new insurance co so I'm feeling better about this and NO I'm not getting rid of my dog. No way no how. And I no longer care to do business with this co except that I do like my agent.

I also just wanted everyone to know that this is going on and to beware if you have a breed of dog that they are targeting.

Thanks for the hug 2cute. I miss you on our thread.

Take care everyone
Old 07-17-2002, 09:10 PM   #11  
motivational guru wannabe

S/C/G: 205/205/185 by spring

Height: 5'4"

Just out of curiosity,....who is the insurance company so that I can be sure NOT to recommended the cold hearted *******s to anyone.

Boatingmommy
Old 07-17-2002, 09:44 PM   #12  
Empress/Queen

"Just out of curiosity,....who is the insurance company so that I can be sure NOT to recommended the cold hearted *******s to anyone."

I second that, boatingmommy! And, how disgusting that they would talk to a customer that way anyway. Starkeeper, I'm glad you are getting some help to get a new policy and thank you for posting this so that everyone is aware. Please do post the name of the insurance company.
Old 07-18-2002, 05:43 PM   #13  

The insurance co is the one with the logo that says ....is on your side. Starts with an N and ends with an E. Think of of the pledge of allegence where it says ....One "nation-(W....)" under God. I don't even want to say their name, its how disgusted I am. Actually I feel kind of funny about mentioning their name, as if I could get in trouble for posting it. If I didn't make any sence, send me a pm but I think you'll all know who is it as they are nation wide, lol
Old 07-19-2002, 07:33 AM   #14  
Fit and Feisty

Starkeeper,

As a dog lover I commend you for finding another way and not getting rid of your beloved pet!

All the best to you and your dog!
carree
Old 07-20-2002, 08:43 AM   #15  

I can tell you the insurance is gettin out of control! My home owners went up 400.00 dollars a year because they found out I had a couple of lates on some of my bills. They didn't ask why (my husband was in the hospital and the disability checks didn't come in a timely fashion) I have had this same company since 1987 and never had a claim. I also have car insurance with them and they were going to make my insurance high risk (and I have had no tickets of accidents and neither has my husband) When I called my agent she said it was because of 9-11 the insurance companys lost money and that we will all have to make it up. I think they are using the 9-11 to make more money. She was able to help me and my car insurance and didn't go high risk but she couldn't do anything about my home owners and I wasn't made aware of the change early enough I felt I had to accept it this year. But next year we will see...............
Sami
Closed Thread