Old 09-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Default shopping revelations and frustrations

So, I having been feeling so terrific about my weight loss that I decided to try shopping today.

I went to Nordstrom and headed for the plus size department.

I have an event to attend in October and had been thinking about buying a pricey little black dress that I saw in a catalogue. They had the dress at the store and on sale.

Sold out of 3X but I was emboldened to try on a 2X. It was TOO BIG.

So I tried on the 1X. For the first time in my entire life, a 1X was TOO BIG.

Found another dress, another brand in a 2X that fit nicely and was also on sale. It was stretchy jersey so it didn't have to fit in a very exact way

BUT... I'm kind of frustrated. My body doesn't seem the right size for the plus sizes any more. I'm plus through the waist, but the shoulders and sleeves now swim on me, and the loose floppy legs of the jeans don't look good.

Now, I feel kind of the wrong size for everything. I'm still too big to wear normal clothes, but the plus sizes fit right around my waist and nowhere else.

I swim and walk for exercise, but would it help to try to tighten up my abs, (if I even knew how to do such a thing?)

Have other people noticed weird shape transformations as they get smaller?
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #2  
wants that Louis Vuitton!

S/C/G: 300/203.4/170

Height: 5'5"

I totally understand...When I'm about 230 I'm right inbetween plus and misses. I recommend checking out anything that is labled "Junior Plus"... try Torrid (one of my favorite stores!!!) (www.torrid.com)
I don't know what your style is...but they have things for all ages even though it's targeted towards teens and young adults. I like their stuff because it's more fitted in the legs and arms especially...but still cut for us fuller-figured ladies!
Even at 300lbs...my legs are skinny enough to make plus size pants look baggy (even if they fit in the waist! lol) Torrid brand jeans are the only ones I can wear that don't look rediculous.
Congrats on your weight loss! you should feel great! These are the kind of problems you want to have!!! lol. =)
StellarGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:01 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 255/239/155

OMG I love Torrid! Every time I go to the mall I have to check out their clearance section. My hubby bought me some lingerie there the other day and it was weird but it fit me! They also have cute plus-sized Halloween costumes but they're over $60, which I can't really afford.
Jadebatdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:12 PM   #4  

they're having 50% off clearance today online! Grab some goodies! =)
Old 09-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #5  

Hey, thanks for the link. I've never even heard of Torrid... maybe because I'm anything but a junior (ha!) The jeans look promising!

But, that's my exact problem-- my legs are my best feature, so I look way slimmer if my pants are fitted down the leg, but my waist still fits a 22...

the tops are even worse-- big baggy armholes-- and ginormous man shoulders... UGH
Old 09-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 264.2/189/150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadebatdog View Post
OMG I love Torrid! Every time I go to the mall I have to check out their clearance section. My hubby bought me some lingerie there the other day and it was weird but it fit me! They also have cute plus-sized Halloween costumes but they're over $60, which I can't really afford.
That's where my lingerie is from, too!
cincimom11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #7  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

It takes time for everything to catch up.... I've lost less on my waist than everything, but it's starting to catch up now finally.

Just keep at it... it'll catch up!

(And Torrid is great, I shop there too!)
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #8  

I hope it will catch up!
Old 09-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #9  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Oh man, I have exactly the opposite problem. My waist is tiny but my shoulders/arms/legs etc. are enormous. I am technically no longer a plus size, but I still look best in things from LB etc. because the arms and legs are just too small on many regular-sized things. I remember back the last time I lost over 100 lbs, trying on a REALLY CUTE polo-style tennis dress at Laura Ashley. The chest, hips, waist--perfect. And a size 14. But the arms were so tight they were literally cutting off my circulation...sucks.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #10  

Height: 5'11"

There was definitely a time just a few months ago that I was in-between. Misses sizes were skin tight and not nearly enough room for my girls (she says modestly) and I couldn't zip the pants. Women's sizes would fit around the bust, but the shoulders would droop and if the pants fit around the waist, there was gobs of extra fabric in the crotch.

Unfortunately, weight loss isn't even! It can be frustrating, but it does get better and you'll eventually get out of that limbo size where neither one fits very well.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

co sign on being a torrid fan.

stuff gets pricey though.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 12:15 AM   #12  

another good place that's cut a little slimmer is kiyonna (www.kiyonna.com). I love their stuff for work and dresses! Their stuff is a little more expensive...but that might be a good place for you to get your "little black dress". I've never bought pants there, but the shirts and dresses are great. They go down to a size 12, too...so it's a little more forgiving if you're inbetween departments. =)

Hope that's helpful!...and definitely get Torrid jeans/skirts. I think you will like! (and if you don't they have a fantastic return policy!)
Old 09-08-2009, 03:14 AM   #13  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Well, I'm an irritating apple shape, heavy or light, but yes, it is a particular problem when we're in process.

My trousers are UK14 and I could manage the UK12 (OK, they're elastic waist but still) because COMPARATIVELY I have a small bm and slim legs.
My bust is a 38C.
My middle part though is still huge, a UK20/22 at least, so sweaters and T shirts, if not fitting, are OK but buttoned blouses and shirts are still beyond me. I have to wear one for work (uniform) but it's a UK24 and I still have to be careful how I sit.

I just hope it all shifts round a bit as I go!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote