Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-03-2009, 12:22 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/120

Height: 5'3"

Default Help!! So weird...

So every night i drink around 128 oz of water a couple hours before bedtime, and I ALWAYS wake up at 2am to take like a 5 min long pee!

2 nights ago I drank my usual water and didn't get up to pee until 8am! And it wasn't much, I mean not like my 5 min long 2am bathroom break. and when I weighed in after, I weighed 3 lbs more than the day before!

Last night I drank 150 oz of water, and BARELY peed at 8am again! And I gained ANOTHER pound!

Why is my body holding onto all this extra water? I feel like I can't be bloated because water flushes water, so why is this water not coming out like usual?
happeningf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:32 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Could it be hormonal? Have you made any changes in hormonal birth control or anything?

Have you spent more time in the heat lately? Ate more sodium? Changed your exercise routine? Been under a lot more stress than usual?

There are a bunch of reasons you could be bloated. And a few times in the past, I've had a couple of days where I retain water for no obvious reason whatsoever. If it keeps up for a while, you could ask your doctor.. but chances are it will go away and you'll be back to normal soon.

Last edited by mayness; 09-03-2009 at 12:32 PM.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:34 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 310/234.5/130

Height: 5'6"

Hi, How's your salt intake? Is it that time of the month? Are you retaining fluid, like in your hands, feet, ankles? Sometimes when it's really hot and humid, I feel like I tend to swell and not pee so much. My wierd thing is that I pee like 3-7 times during the night. If I'm not working, like I was off for 3 days, then each night I pee less, like the first night definately 7 times. The next night I might pee like 5 times. And last night I peed like 3 times. I don't pee alot during the day....MY body holds onto it until it realizes it doesn't need the fluids...otherwise I guess I'm developing kidney failure during the day.....just kidding...I'm not sure why I do this.
ernurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:37 PM   #4  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

What I'm worried about is the fact that you DOWNED 150 oz of water in a short amount of time! That can really do a number on your kidney's and your electrolytes...
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:45 PM   #5  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Default Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmama View Post
What I'm worried about is the fact that you DOWNED 150 oz of water in a short amount of time! That can really do a number on your kidney's and your electrolytes...
This amount of water should be drank throughout the day, not all at once. Your kidney, bladder and liver, and alot of other bodily functions could be taking a hit. You should see your doctor about this. Not good.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:00 PM   #6  

Yes I know I've got to be careful downing water too fast. I start around 6pm at night and end around 11-12am, drinking the 150 oz.

I drink about 100 oz throughout the day too.

Yes, I am on a new birth control and will be starting my period on Sunday.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:09 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Why are you drinking so much water? You can drink too much and overload your kidneys.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 01:14 PM   #8  

It's just what I'm used to. I feel the need to, I guess?
Old 09-03-2009, 01:23 PM   #9  

I read that as long as I'm staying with 40 oz or less per hour, I'm good, because the body can only flush/pee out a liter per hour.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeningf View Post
Yes, I am on a new birth control and will be starting my period on Sunday.
I'd bet money on that being the cause. Just tiny changes in the amounts, types, or ratios of the synthetic hormones in those things can make them react really differently with your body. This could just be happening this first month while your body gets used to it, or it could be that this formulation makes you retain water every month before your period starts.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:15 PM   #11  
Running With Scissors

S/C/G: 178/175/150

Height: 5'3

i'd see a doctor. i had a problem with weight gain and a few other problems and after a run around it turned out to be medication i was taking. You can't know for certain what it is without consulting a doctor. It's a pain, but better safe than sorry. a doctor knows the normal/rare side effects of a medication and if what your going through is harmless side effect or if it's a more dangerous one. Again, i'm not a doctor i don't know that it's medication or what, but you should probably see a doctor. Good luck!
indiegrlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #12  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Just to add one more variable - a low-grade food allergy can kick off all sorts of weird inflammation (fancy name for water retention). Food journaling makes it easier to find out what did it, but because it can kick in immediately, or in 3 days, it's a challenge. Kidney beans do the identical thing to me - and I never knew it until I started looking hard at what I eat. I'd have to vote for the BCPs being the first place to look though - I wouldn't wish an elimination allergy diet on ANYBODY.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by happeningf View Post
It's just what I'm used to. I feel the need to, I guess?
Why do you feel the need to, are you are extremely thirsty? If you are, that too should be pointed out to a doctor. That's an awful lot of water for someone your size.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #14  

No, not extremely thirsty, more like I feel the need to to keep my sodium flushed and to see the scale show me my true weight every AM... like if I don't drink a lot of water all my toxins and extra crap from the day won't expend itself, and also... I drink water to curb munchies etc. But no, it's all mental, doesn't feel like a true need.

Drinking a lot of water daily seemed to help with my weight loss, so now I feel like I should keep it up, nah mean?

I feel like the more I drink (gallon and a half a day) the cleaner, more refreshed I am.... I hope that makes sense.
Old 09-03-2009, 05:41 PM   #15  

I do keep a food journal and have had nothing out of the ordinary the past week... but I will watch my water intake tonight and see how I do. It was shocking that I barely peed this AM after so much water the night before. I am just now starting to feel truly bloated too... feeling those extra pounds... maybe after TOM starts this flushes away.

Thanks for the advice guys! I'm definitely going to look more into my water intake, I would hate to have something bad happen just because i'm obsessed with keeping my water habit!