General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 09:34 AM   #1  

Default Statement of intent.

Hello, everyone. I am a wife and mother and a life long dieter. I have succeeded and failed many times in my life and, unfortunately, the failures always seem to outnumber the successes by 1.

Oh, well. I am trying again. I had a slimfast shake this morning and enjoyed it. I got a can of the soy protein formual mocha on sale a Big Lots for $5.99. It was very good.

I am going to make an effort to try yet again to lose weight and keep it off.

I went to www.slim-fast.com and read a lot of the recipes there. The plan seems to be one of their meal choices for 2 meals a day (either the shakes or the bars) a balanced 3rd meal and 2 healthy snacks. Is that what most of you are doing?

Where is the best place to buy the products and what is the price you are paying?

I hope to evercise a little everyday. I have been doing no exercise for quite a while so I will probably ease my way into it. Is everyone on an exercise program here and , if so, what is your plan? I noticed on the slim fast site they reccommended 30 minutes per day. I will have to work up to that! LOL! I am REALLY out of shape!

They do have a message board there but I am not too fond of the set up. Very difficult to read and follow a conversation there.

Everyone say a prayer or if that is not your belief , please send a happy though or two my way. I will need all the help I can get!

Well, I am off to read some of the posts here and try to gather a little motivation.

TTFN
Old 07-15-2002, 09:04 AM   #2  

Day TWO:

Yesterday went well. I did not get to make the eggplant dish but I did make the salmon and the penne pasta. My husband seemed to enjoy it and I know I did. I had the shake for breakfast yesterday, a meal bar for a late lunch and the salmon for dinner. I also had a serving of carrot salad last night.

I haven't had a can yet this morning. I am just finishing my cup of coffee now and plan on sipping a can in a little while on the road. It really IS convenient for that, isn't it?

LOL! I thought I got a good deal on the can from Big LOts! HA! Found the powder at Wal_mart for $5.50 and the cans of liquid with 8 cans in a pack for $4.40. I got 3 of those and 2 packs of the bars which are really delicious. Almost TOOOOOO good. I could have eaten the entire box!

Hope eveyone is having a good day.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:10 AM   #3  
Simply Noble

S/C/G: 320/258/175

Height: 5'4"

I get a case of 24 at Sam's Club for 19.99. Also the Walmart brand ones are good to and cheaper.
I prrety much follow the plan thoughsometimes I have a light breakfast and the shake for dinner. That Penne pasta sounds good. I'll have to check out some of their recipies.
Old 07-15-2002, 01:46 PM   #4  

Default I got a good deal then on the 8 cans for

$4.40 from Wal-Mart. I may go back and see if they have any chocolate. That would make the special 8 can packs $17.60 for 24 cans.

I have to say though that even though the cans of ready to drink are very convenient, I am enjoying the different things you can do with the mix. I froze some of the leftover coffee this morning and for lunch thew about 6 cubes into the blender on 'crush'. I added a pack of splenda, a scoop of french vanilla and a packet of splenda. It really is delicious and reminds me of the coolata type things that are so popular and SOOOO darn expensive now!

Cowgirl, I have to tell you that the salmon and penne pasta WAS delicious. I am having the eggplant parmesan tonight with a baked potato and a salad. I can't wait to try it.

You definitely should go and check out the recipes on the slim fast site if you haven't already. I want to go back and read some more myself.

BTW, I have to tell you how great you are doing! It inspired me to keep trying. Thanks, I need all the inspiration I can get!
Old 07-16-2002, 08:26 AM   #5  

Last night was a little rough , girls and boys. (Are there any boys here?)

The day went fine but after dinner I just wanted to graze. I had a generous serving of jello (2 packs of SF and 1 pack of regular mixed) with a can of mandarin oranges (drained) a mango (cubed) 2 bananas (sliced into rounds) about 1/4 cup of coconut (very high fat but the only fat in the dish) and a handful of miniture marshmellows. I probably had about a cup full with a couple of tablespoons of FF cool whip on top. I also had another bananna later in the evening. I know it was better to eat these than the chocolate bars in the kitchen but I felt myself getting out of control and it scared me.

The eggplant parmesan recipe that I got from the slimfast site was absolutely delicious! The servings were amazingly big. I don't think anyone would be able to eat that much. I am going back today to check because if I recall it served 4. I cut it into 6 servings and had beets (5-6 slices) a couple of tablespoons of carrot salad and a baked potato and it was WA-AY filling (as a friend of mine use to say. I miss you CC'ers!) My husband even liked it and he is not into veggies.

I did not exercise yesterday but I am going to try to get back on the bike again today. I wish I loved exercise....

Well, I have a vat full of the orange jello and fruit salad so I guess I will be eating lots of that for snacks. I figured the calorie count on it to be :

2 boxes of sf jello 80 calories
1 box of reg. jello 240
2 banannas 200
1 mango 135
marshmellows 90
coconut 120

It is AT LEAST 12 servings though so even with cool whip it should be less than 100 calories for a serving and it is good. Of course if you used ALL sf jello and no coconut the calories would be GREATLY reduced!

Whoops I forgot the mandarin oranges. I can't find the calorie info on them. Oh, well.....
Old 07-17-2002, 09:48 AM   #6  

I do great during the day. No problem at all. I am enjoying the shakes made in the blender. Yesterday I made one with a mango that was absolutely delicious. I love mangos though so that may be why I thought that one was SOOOOO good. For breakfast I made a slimfast version of a coffee coolata using frozen coffee icecubes and the french vanilla powder. It is a great breakfast. I have a bananna frozen to put into my lunch shake. I enjoy not having to plan the menus any more than that. Just lazy I guess.

But the evenings are rough! I enjoy the dinner recipes I have gotten off the site but later in the evenings I am haveing a hard time. Last night for dinner I had fried rice with chicken and a small serving of the left over eggplant parmesan. It was delicious and filling but around 9:00 I had a BIG bowl of the jello. Probably 200 calories worth and again no exercise yesterday.

I find the exercise even harder than the evenings!

Hope eveyone is doing well.
Old 07-18-2002, 02:27 PM   #7  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

You are doing good! You can do this my friend! ~audri
Old 07-18-2002, 06:57 PM   #8  

Default AUDRI!

Que pasa? It is so good to hear from you and thanks for the words or encouragement.

Today was a struggle. Hubby home from work and eating way off schedule. A cup of coffee and a couple of pieces of biscotti. Lunch was a fruit ice. Dinner was some fried rice. Hope I can get back on track tomorrow.

Hope everyone is doing good and staying on program.
Old 07-19-2002, 07:11 AM   #9  

Default The beginning of a new day.....

The evenings are still the hardest. I had a big bowl of jello with fruit last night.

Today I am having the shakes for breakfast and lunch and dinner will be the potato/brocolli soup from the website. It sounds delicious and potatoes are a comfort food for me. I am sure the jello will also make an appearance at least once during the daily menu.

I got some of the bananna creme shakes yesterday and some of the chocolate. They are still 8/4.40 at Wal_Mart.

We STILL have leftover eggplant parmesan. My husband is very fond of it but this stuff is so filling that there is no way anyone could eat a complete serving. Hope the rest of the recipes I try from the site are as delicious!

Hope everyone is succeeding in their plan.

Have a good day!
Old 07-19-2002, 07:13 PM   #10  

The creamy potato brocolli and carrot soup is delicious although I added salt. The recipe called for none. I also confess I added a dollop of fatfree sour cream to my bowl. I will probably have another bowl before the night is over.

I can't get over how good the slimfast recipes are.

And the shakes are great.
Old 07-20-2002, 11:24 AM   #11  

The seventh day of my slim fast program. I am drinking a french vanilla shake as creamer in my coffee. It is actually very good. Had about half a shake with my coffee and 2 biscotti's. Will have a shake for lunch and one of the leftovers in the fridge for dinner. For people cooking for themselves or only 2, the slimfast recipes are huge. You could just about cook 6 recipes once every couple of weeks and freeze the leftovers to have easy tv dinners for about 3 weeks. I wish I could get organized enough to do that. It would so simplify my life and keep the house so much easier to cool in these hot days of summer! I really dislike having to decide what to cook EVERY day. Of course that is something you have to do whether you are following a program or not. My most dreaded phrase to hear is " Whats for dinner?" Silly, huh?

Hope everyone has an easy day following their program.
Old 07-21-2002, 09:36 AM   #12  

Got up early this morning and did a little weeding. Watered the garden and pulled a squash that was ready. We will be having a 'mess' of squash for dinner tonight. Also have some cucumbers and I am going to make the salad recipe from the slimfast board with those. Sure do wish my tomatoes would start to ripen. I could make some 'fried green' but the fat content on those are SOOOO high but they are SOOOO good.

Had my shake for breakfast this morning. ONe of the canned chocolate ones . It was very tasty. The ones you make in the blender (expecially the ones with fruit) are MUCH more filling.

Going to the grocery store today to stock up on fruits for the shakes.

Hope everyone has a good day!
Old 07-22-2002, 10:44 AM   #13  

Having problems posting today on this section. Tried twice to reply on another thread and welcome Sunnydaze and neither time would it take my reply....It worked fine on the Eating Disorder section though so I have my fingers crossed on this one.

Had my shake this morning for breakfast. I am thinking about grilled salmon and the tomato, egg and cucumber salad from the SF site for dinner tonight.

I have lots of the soup I made last week and that makes a good little snack. It has just over 100 calories per cup. It is very good but next time I am cutting down on the brocolli and not blending it with the rest of the vegetables so little brocolli bits will be in the soup.

Still not exercising properly.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:22 AM   #14  

Default We had an electrical storm on Monday

and it fried our phone lines, 3 phones , a vcr , a tv and our air conditioner . What a pain but it could have been worse. Finally got the phones working again yesterday evening so all is back to normal.

I have been following the plan but the exercise is still not a part of it. Had the 2 shakes yesterday and dinner was boneless, skinless chicken breast (BBQ) baked potato, grilled , sliced yellow squash. Lime jello with cool whip (ff) and a plum later in the evening.

Read a great book that was suggested by a member on another section. It is called Feeding The Hungry Heart by Geneen Roth. It was an interesting and easy read and I am going to look for more of her books at the library. It gave me a lot to think about.

Off you read for inspiration on the boards.

TTFN
Old 07-25-2002, 10:56 AM   #15  
you can call me flower

S/C/G: 205/165/149

Height: 5-5

That sounds like a good read. I may just go see in my library has it. Thanks Karefree! ~flower/audri
Closed Thread