Old 09-01-2009, 09:06 AM   #1  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

Height: 5'2"

Default Change of Plan--opinions welcome

Lately I've noticed that during the week I have been falling between 1200 and 1300 (with the occasional 1400 calorie day). Usually weekends are not a struggle for me, but the last three have been, and I've over-eaten EVERY weekend. It has not had a significant effect on my weight loss, and I think that's due to the very low calories on the weekdays.

I got to thinking that maybe if I just upped my weekend allotment, I might be more prone to stay within that band when out with friends and out of town. My new plan (unless you guys tell me it's a bad idea) is to stick to the 12-13 hundred calories per day on weekdays and up my calories on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday to 16-18 hundred. I would guess in a way this is a little like calorie cycling, though not as shocking to the system.

Is this a plan that could work? Or am I just being too indulgent in my thinking?
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:51 AM   #2  

I think its a good plan and the EXACT one I've been thinking about.

We treat ourselves on Saturday mornings to a Cracker Barrell breakfast (sorta a tradition).. and we eat out at least once or twice on the weekends not including that.
Pink Daisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:58 AM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

That's kinda what I am doing (just not the same #s) and works great for me. It is like cycling and keep our body guessing and losing...
Good luck to you!!!
belezura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 165.6/158.4/130

Height: 5'7"

Sounds good to me. When I did WW I would save up all my "flex" points for the weekend....which is essentially what you are doing!

Candice
crcossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 215/188/150

Height: 5'4"

Wow, that is super low calories. When I was at my heaviest 215lbs my BMR was around 2100. I was eating 1600-1900 calories, exercising every day, and still lost 1-2lbs per week. Now that I'm down to 181lbs I'm still eating 1400-1700 per day and still losing at least 1.5lbs a week.

Are you sure you're eating enough calories? Are you losing weight or stalling? I'm just saying because 1200 is so low, I could never maintain that. Your body seems to be naturally asking you for more calories, I would oblige!

I zig zag my calories and sometimes I hit up to 2500 in a day to be honest, and I still haven't gained a single pound since May. I'd say go for it, up your calories on the weekend but make sure it doesn't get out of control. One day up one day down is better for cycling. Doing it 3 days in a row seems to rev up my old habits.
Palestrina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:37 AM   #6  
To Maintenance-AND BEYOND

S/C/G: 252/ticker/189

I usually eat more calories, but during the week it's been hard lately for me to go higher. It's my schedule more than anything. I usually am between 1400 and 1600 (with my pcos when I average above 1600 I see huge stalls and sometimes huge gains). I think that part of why I've been steadily losing is because I've overeaten on the weekends which has balanced out my low cal weekdays. That's part of why I came up with this plan since it seems that on the weekend when my schedule is more relaxed, I eat more. I'm trying to find balance without forcing myself. I know eventually my appetite will even out and I'll be back up in the 14-16 range.

Thanks so much for the advice.
Eumie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 318/211/140

I pretty much do the same as everyone else who commented. I stay within my range (around 1500-1600) during the week, plus exercise. On weekends I don't even really count (I stay mindful of what I am eating, but I don't track every little thing like I do during the week), and only get whatever exercise "happens" - yardwork, cleaning, a walk...etc. So far it has worked for me since March.
Mainah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:34 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 184/160/110

Height: 5/2

I was on a plateau for about 2 weeks and learned of cycling or zig zaging from this sight and bang I am down 2 lbs this week. Yahoo. My son has lost 80 lbs with 50ish more to go. He works in fast food and was stuck on a plateau for a week or so. He got discouraged and funny thing is got offered free food from work and took it. He lost that week and has been carefully and happily cheating on occasion and losing with no problem. I think the body needs to be shook up and I think a little fat doesn't hurt to get is shocked into moving.
mddieter is offline   Reply With Quote