Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #1  
Rawr!

S/C/G: 210/122.2/130

Height: 5'2"-5'3"

Unhappy Hair loss?

I've noticed that I've been losing lots of hair since I've been dieting. Every time I wash and rinse my hair I find many strands of hair in my hands. Also when I run my fingers though my hair.

I'm doing this healthy (at least I thought I was) and aiming for about 2 pounds a week.

I'm doing this so I can feel better about myself but if I come away from it thin but bald, well gosh, I'm not so sure I will feel any better.

Anyone else having this happen or had it happen? Will it get better and is it permanent?

Thanks!
MeowMix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I never experienced it myself.
What I'd ask is the following:

1) Are you taking any multivitamins?
2) Are you eating a lot of processed 'fat free' food?
3) How many calories are you eating?
4) Is your diet plan balanced? Fruits, veggies, grains, etc?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #3  
Rawr!

I am taking multivitamins, yes.
I think the only fat free thing I eat with any regularity (and that isn't very often or very much) is a fat free mayo. I use about a half a tbs if I have a sandwich.
I aim for about 1200 calories a day. Some days I have a little more and some a little less, all depends on how hungry I'm feeling.
I do my best to balance my diet, I probably eat veggies the most, then grain and smaller amounts of fruit.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

I have experienced this. I was down about 35-40 pounds when I first started noticing. It has slowed. Don't worry, your body will figure it's way through this. My hair is almost back to it's original thickness. My only advice is to make sure you are getting plenty of healthy fats--olives, avacado, olive oil, fatty fish like salmon. Just make sure these items "fit" within daily calorie allotment and you will be fine. Congrats on your loss thus far.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #5  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

my hair falls out constantly and has ever since i was a teenager. i dont think its anything to worry about. does it appear thinner? sometimes people just shed, lol. my hair never gets any thinner, but every time i shower theres quite a bit left in the drain. other than the grossness of pulling hair out of the drain, it hasnt really made any difference in my life.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #6  
Baby Stepping Along

I did experience some change in the nature of my hair although I did not have major hair loss. It just had a different texture when I first changed my diet. It seemed drier and a little more brittle. It went back to normal and grew out. I started a little above where you are now and lost down to around 150 in about 5 months.

Peg
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:05 PM   #7  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

that makes sense tho because fats and oils help keep hair hydrated. if you're eating less, it might get more brittle. im sure your body will adjust tho.
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:16 PM   #8  
Rawr!

Thanks so much for the input! I haven't noticed any real thinning other then more hair coming out after washing/brushing etc.
Since it didn't come out this much before I started dieting I figured it must be the dieting. Good to hear that it goes back to normal after a bit.
I think I may start taking more omegas and fatty acid type supplements and see if that helps any.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:33 PM   #9  
Rif

S/C/G: 340/148/145

Height: 5'9"

I would argue that the hair loss indicates malnutrition and inadequate fat intake. 1200 calories is quite low, probably below your resting metabolic rate. Rather than taking supplements, I'd recommend increasing your calories by 200 - 300 calories (you'll still lose plenty of weight at 1500 calories) and adding real, healthy plant-based fats like avocado, oils (olive, flax seed), nuts, nut butters, and the like. Try it for a month and see how it effects your weight loss and hair loss.
Rif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 201/155/145

I agree with most of the posts. I wasn't eating enough fat last summer, and I got a headache (worst in my life) and went to the hospital. It lasted for a month. I couldn't walk for three days and was couch ridden for several days. It took a while to even out, but I quit avoiding fat right away.
mamaspank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #11  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

The only time I've heard of hair falling out/issues with a low fat diet are when people are eating a lot of processed low fat foods. I've read some interesting stories of people eating no added fats at all and not having issues but the difference is they were eating a whole foods type diet. I personally have never had an issue with a low fat diet. On the other hand, healthy fats are good and somedays I forget to add in fats so I'll pop a couple almonds or olives or something.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #12  
Rawr!

Thank you everyone who's added some input. I've been giving it lots of thought and also been doing a little googling and have come to the conclusion that it just may be how my body is reacting to the changes I've been making.

It seems to be common for a lot of people and some people have it happen no matter how they are dieting, if their body is using more calories then it's getting, no matter how little their hair seems to come out more.

I have recently given up dairy and think that maybe it is a reaction my body is having to the loss of the fat found in milk (and maybe the hormones). Also while talking to my husband about it last night he brought up a good point. I only recently started dyeing my hair after almost 5 years. I stopped when I found out I was pregnant with my daughter and since after she was born I felt so awful about myself I just didn't see a point in trying to look 'pretty' and dyeing it.

I would really rather not add more calories to my diet, I'm the type of person who's body will give me nasty migraines (also a serious case of the grumps) if I'm not eating enough and I haven't had any (other then hormonal) on this diet. In addition I have a hard time eating the amount of calories I've set as it is, I get full very fast and eating more would be eating for the sake of eating, which in my opinion defeats the point of trying to change my eating habits.

I'm going to wait it out, add a couple more supplements, try to add more fat from my food without adding calories and see if that helps. If not I'll just keep a close eye on my hair and if I notice any bald spots or any real changes in my hairs thickness I may try something a little more drastic.

Again thanks to every for the help, you're all great!