Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-26-2009, 12:59 PM   #1  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Default really need some encouragement

i have been hovering at 180 for almost 6 weeks. im seriously losing my mind. i did overeat yesterday and im on day 2 of my period, but i jumped from 179.6 to 181.2.

i am SO sick of seeing 180. ive tried less calories, more calories, zig zagging, NOTHING is helping!! im feeling so frustrated that i almost started crying this morning. i was so happy last week when i finally saw the 170s and i convinced myself that i was officially past this 180 slump, and now here i am again. i just feel like giving up, i cant stand seeing 180 any more!! i know im being a real whiner here, and maybe my period is partly to blame, but im just sick of working so hard all week to see myself at 180-182 every weigh in. ugh, i dont know what to do!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

OK... deep breath now... Ahhhhhhh...

Just from what you've said, I think I can identify a couple of things you might want to think about.

First, stop weighing every day. I know this will be hard if you're used to it, but it is not helping you. Choose one day a week as your weigh-in day, and do not weigh in between. You are allowing a piece of machinery to dictate your mood.

Second, stop "trying everything." You need to choose ONE plan and STAY WITH IT for a significant length of time. Set a calorie target every day and try to get there. Don't change the target every week, don't change the zooming every week. Just stay with the plan.

And finally, don't go off plan and don't overeat. It sounds like you got real happy about those 170s--so happy you thought you ought to celebrate... and that is kinda messed up, if it means overeating.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #3  

It is most likely the period causing this. I retain the water until the very last day of my period. I know it's frustrating, but I bet you'll see a "whoosh" in a few days. Hang in there until then!
jamiewyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #4  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I am so confused?? This is what you wrote last night:
Quote:
had a dinner party tonight and ended up with 1800-1900 calories instead of 1200. is this like WAY overboard? do you think it will stall my weight loss or cause a gain? it is WAY more than usual, but is that number of calories that excessive?
And this is what you wrote 12 hours later:

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliastl27 View Post
i am SO sick of seeing 180. ive tried less calories, more calories, zig zagging, NOTHING is helping!! im feeling so frustrated that i almost started crying this morning. i was so happy last week when i finally saw the 170s and i convinced myself that i was officially past this 180 slump, and now here i am again....
So are you eating 1200 calories a day or are you zig-zagging, eating more and less constantly?

Remember if you ate a big meal last night, the contents are still in your colon. Poop weight....ya know?
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:28 PM   #5  
a work in progress

well this has been going on for 6 weeks, so its not just a one time thing. i did overeat last night at a dinner party, but otherwise ive been on plan for over a month. i do only weigh myself once a week, on wednesday. after a few weeks i bumped up from 1000 to 1200. i tried zig zagging for a week, to no avail. if this was a one week gain id chalk it up to period/overeating last night, but this has just been going on for SO long, im going insane.

Last edited by juliastl27; 08-26-2009 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:29 PM   #6  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

I would say when you try zig zagging, upping calories or even lowering calories (which I don't recommend for you but hey, what do I know?), you should try longer than a week. I usually give it 2 weeks or even 3 weeks then I tweak as neccesary.
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:18 PM   #7  
run2bstrong

S/C/G: 215.8/215.8/140

Height: 5'5"

Default you may be in a rut

If you do the same exercise routine everyday, your body can get in a rut and you will plateau. You might try changing up your exercise routine or trying something different.

Carol
run2bstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #8  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

juliastl27, you can expect that if you eat a really big dinner, you'll weigh more the next day. Get a grip now, girl!

All I can tell you is that I'm significantly older than you are, and when I weighed 180, I was eating an average of 1367 cals a day. But it took me a month to lose 3-1/2 pounds. That was a good rate of loss in my book.

Steady on--and if you really think you're "going insane," maybe find a counselor? One who specializes in food issues?

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #9  
a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Steady on--and if you really think you're "going insane," maybe find a counselor? One who specializes in food issues?
lol, im not actually going insane. i wrote this post RIGHT after i weighed myself when i was really frustrated. sometimes it is just SO hard. i expected to not lose much after my big meal last night, but i did not expect a 1.6lb gain when id been on plan all week. working hard for 6 weeks with almost no results is really hard, id welcome a 3.5 lb loss/month right now.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:38 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Looking at your ticker, it says you've lost 40 lbs. 40lbs!!!! So, can I ask you, what method did you use to lose those pounds? Had you been losing steadily and now been having trouble the last 6 weeks?

Oh and I 'm fairly certain that by you giving up - you'd most likely GAIN weight, not lose. So don't talk like that. It scares me. Seriously. It does.

Awaiting your answer.....

Last edited by rockinrobin; 08-26-2009 at 02:39 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:45 PM   #11  
a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Looking at your ticker, it says you've lost 40 lbs. 40lbs!!!! So, can I ask you, what method did you use to lose those pounds? Had you been losing steadily and now been having trouble the last 6 weeks?

Oh and I 'm fairly certain that by you giving up - you'd most likely GAIN weight, not lose. So don't talk like that. It scares me. Seriously. It does.

Awaiting your answer.....
well, im a calorie counter. i kept reducing my calories whenever i hit a plateau, and was losing steadily. but then i got down to 1000 when i hit this one. i didnt want to cut any more. someone suggested i bump up to 1200, and ive been doing 1200. for a week i tried zig zagging, and i gained a bit, so ive been doing 1200 steady. yeah, i know i cant give up, i was just SO frustrated this morning.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:53 PM   #12  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

You certainly can't cut those calories any further. Even with last nights dinner, your average is still kinda low-ish. Are you certain you're measuring accurately. Serving size wise and each and every bite, lick, taste and crumb?

Also, what KINDS of foods are you eating?

And lastly - what's your exercise routine? It may be time to kick that up a notch. What does your current program look like?

Last edited by rockinrobin; 08-26-2009 at 02:55 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:56 PM   #13  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

So for the last 6 weeks that you have been hovering around 180 you have eaten 1200 calories/day except for last night? The 1000 and zig/zagging was prior to this? Or am I still confued? According to your log, how may days in a row have you been at 1200, (except yesterday) without a loss?
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #14  
a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
So for the last 6 weeks that you have been hovering around 180 you have eaten 1200 calories/day except for last night? The 1000 and zig/zagging was prior to this? Or am I still confued? According to your log, how may days in a row have you been at 1200, (except yesterday) without a loss?

i was at 1000 when i hit 181. after 3 or 4 weeks (during which i tried zig zagging) of not losing i was told i needed to bump up to 1200 b/c 1000 is too low. ive been doing 1200 for 2 weeks. last week i had a 1 lb loss, and this week i gained 1.6 lb. before i started doing 1200 it was about the same, lose a lb one week, gain it back, etc.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #15  
a work in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
You certainly can't cut those calories any further. Even with last nights dinner, your average is still kinda low-ish. Are you certain you're measuring accurately. Serving size wise and each and every bite, lick, taste and crumb?

Also, what KINDS of foods are you eating?

And lastly - what's your exercise routine? It may be time to kick that up a notch. What does your current program look like?
yes, i obsessively count EVERYTHING. im mostly eating whole grains and protein. exercise is tough for me because i have bad asthma, so my routine is just to walk 30-45 minutes/day.

the only thing is, i dont drink much water. i am a confirmed soda addict and i drink tons of diet soda. i know that diet soda isnt healthy, but would switching to water REALLY help with weight LOSS? since diet soda has 0 calories, i cant see switching making a huge difference..