Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-26-2009, 05:30 AM   #1  
Everyday is a New Day

S/C/G: 327/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

Default Realizing how LONG the journey really is...

I have lost 11 pounds since the beginning of the month. I'm excited and overall happy with my progress so far. However, it gets me down when I realize how those 11 pounds are not even a fraction of what I need to lose still. I know I'm being silly and should be happy with what I've lost so far. *Sigh* Has anyone else ever felt like this? It's sort of bittersweet, in a way.

Just gotta keep going, I suppose.
BelieveInChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:13 AM   #2  
sabrina

S/C/G: 180/159/125

Height: 5 foot 2 in.

I understand how you feel, 11 pounds is a pretty big deal though. As of right now I would kill to lose 11 pounds. As bad as it sounds just wait until you start only losing a few pounds a month.

Or even worse, what happened to me, when you start gaining weight back, and can't really explain why and how it happened. I have the lovely task of starting over, not from my heaviest; thankfully, but still. That feels worse than realizing you have a long way to go.

Just keep as motivated as possible and realize that 11 pounds is awesome and there are plenty of people out there that would love to see the scale say they were 11 pounds closer.
beautifulwaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:21 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 234/154.4/120

Height: 5'6

You are 11 pounds closer, and that's all that matters.

Set up mini goals so that you don't feel like you have so far to go, then reward yourself (not with food!). I need to stay motivated so I'm doing 5% of my weight minigoals. But you can do 5%, 10%, exercising for a certain amount each week, staying on plan for however long, etc.

Yep. It is a long journey. But progress is progress and when you start dropping pant sizes and feeling better mentally and physically... you get to feel the benefits of weight loss before you even reach your goal.
FreeSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:33 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 215/199/180

Height: 5'8"

It seems like it'll be a long journey but take it day by day and before you know it you'll be at your goal looking back thinking, boy, that didn't take as long as I thought.
KDuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:59 AM   #5  
Never looking back...

S/C/G: 194/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I understand how you feel. In my Weight Watchers meeting yesterday, a woman finally made her goal weight -- she has lost 75 lbs! Then the leader told us that it took her 3 YEARS to do it! I have about 45 lbs to lose... the task seems insurmountable. I've never been able to reach my goal weight, so I'm scared I'll chicken out too early to reach it!
MrsJerseyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:25 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Goodness yes! One of the low points in my weight loss journey was after I'd lost 75 pounds. I thought I could go shopping for clothes and realized how little still fit me -- I was still plus sized, still obese, etc etc. Instead of being able to celebrate, I walked around the mall wanting to cry!

Last edited by Heather; 08-26-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:31 AM   #7  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Awww, Heather!! for that day in the past.

Yeah, I feel like I have a long way to go too, especially since this is the what? nth time I've embarked on this journey? At least this time, I'm in it to win it and have made my diet my major concern. Previously, I would starve myself, lose some weight and then eat to compensate, gaining all of it back (with friends). Just think - you're 11 lbs closer to your goal! It helps to break it down in pieces, at least for me. My ultimate goal is 140 -145, but that just seems so far away, so I've made 155 my goal for now. That seems closer and will be a major milestone for me when I make it there.

Keep your chin up, you can do it! Take it one day at a time and you won't find it so stressful.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #8  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

We were just discussing this over at the 100lb club and this is what I said,

I broke it down into mini goals. When one goal was achieved, I crossed it off and moved on to the next. Made a little game of it in fact. I also really enjoyed the time I spent losing. It was an adventure. I found out a lot about myself. It was exciting and I made the most of it.

Another thing, the time spent LOSING the weight, is very valuable. Think of that time as a learning experience. Time used learning new and healthy eating and fitness habits that will last you a lifetime. Healthy habits that will not only help you to get the weight off, but to keep the weight off. Use that time to find a plan that suits you, tweaking it along the way. It's time used to find what works for you and what doesn't. It's when you find coping skill and techniques to get you through the tough times. Time spent finding new recipes and foods to enjoy. Time learning about nutrition. Time very well spent indeed. Because I'm telling you, had I awoken one morning slim and trim, I wouldn't have a clue how to STAY that way. I would have turned around and put the weight right back on.

You'll get to your goal. In as long as it takes. And in the end it won't matter if it takes you a year, 18 months or longer. Just you keep at it and that goal is yours for the taking.

Edited to Add: I tried to post the link to the thread, but it wasn't allowing me to, strange.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 08-26-2009 at 08:41 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:40 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/140

Oh yes, I've absolutely felt like that! But ya know what? We all have to start somewhere and I'd say you're off to a great start! I totally understand how you feel though, it's tough to see the long term goal when you've just started out.

Lovelypurple had some great advice--mini goals! Even if it's just 5 lbs, conquering each goal will make you feel so good! I give myself a new with every 5 lb loss and although it doesn't really mean anything, it still makes me happy to see all of those happy little s bouncing around.

Set up a reward system for yourself! Buy a new book or take yourself out for some pampering--whatever makes you happy (well, except food of course ).

Most of all, keep at it hun, before you know it you'll be looking back on your journey and realize that you've come further than you have left to go!
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:42 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
Another thing, the time spent LOSING the weight, is very valuable. Think of that time as a learning experience. Time used learning new and healthy eating and fitness habits that will last you a lifetime. Healthy habits that will not only help you to get the weight off, but to keep the weight off. Use that time to find a plan that suits you, tweaking it along the way. It's time used to find what works for you and what doesn't. It's when you find coping skill and techniques to get you through the tough times. Time spent finding new recipes and foods to enjoy. Time learning about nutrition. Time very well spent indeed. Because I'm telling you, had I awoken one morning slim and trim, I wouldn't have a clue how to STAY that way. I would have turned around and put the weight right back on.

You'll get to your goal. In as long as it takes. And in the end it won't matter if it takes you a year, 18 months or longer. Just you keep at it and that goal is yours for the taking.
Such great advice and so very true!! Thanks!
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:17 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 205/172/125

Height: 5'1

I think it was Dr Phil who said once that time is going to pass no matter what you do. So you can spend that time losing weight or you can spend that time continuing to gain weight. But time will pass either way. This really spoke to me when I heard it. So I've kinda switched my mentality to worry less about how long this takes and focus on making better choices. I'll admit though that I'm hoping to be at my goal weight by New Years Eve. LOL.
kellost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #12  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

You've already gotten some great advice so I just wanted to offer you up a big ole and tell ya to keep chuggin along
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

It helped me to put the focus on my choices and lifestyle over the pounds lost so far and pounds left to go. I mean, it's the lifestyle that counts. That's forever, baby. That felt exciting not burdensome, because there's so much about it that's fabulous.

I know we all come to this place differently, but I had one of those light bulb moments, and I just knew, from day one, my life was different now. And *that* was the part that mattered above all else.

If the choices are there, the weight will come off, even if not in the time frame we want. But if the weight happens to come off a little, but the choices aren't there, it's not gonna keep happening.

It's my choices that define who I am, not my weight. And the choices aren't a long journey far away. They're right now.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 08-26-2009 at 09:29 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:50 AM   #14  
I luv my curves

S/C/G: 255/ticker/180

Height: 5'1 3/4

Honey I know exactly what you mean but try not to think of this as something youre doing just to lose weight, think of it as changing your habits and becoming a healthier you. Thats what helps me each and every day and keep coming on here to post your thoughts and feelings trust me it helps so much.

Congrats on 11lbs its a great start!
Matilda08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:56 AM   #15  
NOT Aging Gracefully!

S/C/G: 223/ticker/126

Height: 5' 8"

I think that especially when we have a "lot" to lose - and 50 pounds can feel as insurmountable as 100 I think - we tend to feel that 5 or 10 lbs is nothing. Being taller, no one even notices that I'm losing weight until I'm 10 or 15 pounds in! So I really have that "just 5 or 10 pounds" attitude.

I read something on 3FC that made me reevaluate that attitude and be proud of what I have achieved. Next time you're in the grocery store, pick up a 5 lb (or 10 lb) bag of potatoes. See how large it is, feel how much it weighs. Losing that much is not "nothing"!

Now we just have to be proud of ourselves, and go do it again!
jelder227 is offline   Reply With Quote