Old 08-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 225/218/150

Height: 5'8"

Default WW and Hypothyroidism

Just wondering if anyone else out there (and I'm sure there are some of you!) who are also dealing with hypothyroidism, and how that affects your weight loss efforts?

I was diagnosed a few months ago after digging around and finding out that nearly every single person in my family has thyroid issues. I'm 26 and taking 75 mcg of Synthroid daily. I guess I expected, once I started my medication, that it would be easier to lose weight, but it's been more of a struggle than I thought. Lately, I've been forgetting to take the Synthroid regularly, but I'm wondering if, by following WW, things will be easier for me. The thyroid issues certainly helped to push me to this weight, so hopefully the medication will help get rid of it!
blackbetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 11:53 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

I am interested as well. I tried WW last fall and the weight was extremely slow to come off. I see my doctor in September to discuss medication. Currently I am following CORE on my own and avoiding the flour, potatoes and starchy vegetables.
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:25 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 265/245/150 SW/CW/GW

Height: 5" 6"

I have been hypothyroid for about 6 years now and as long as I take my meds daily and follow WW program I have no problem losing weight. If you are missing your meds regularly your TSH level may not be where it needs to be which will hamper your weight loss.

Good luck, you can do it!
huntress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:00 PM   #4  

Height: 5'7.5"

Hi ....Count me in as having been diagnosed a few months ago as well. I also am on 75mg of synthroid daily. I've been w/WW for 3months,and am crawling toward weigh-loss. Some wks.it's less than a .5lb. Discouraging to say the least. I am post menopausal,so maybe that has something else to do with it. I know as we age the struggle is slower. I'm due for a blood draw soon,to see if I'm doing ok on this dosage,but if I can't lose and I'm on plan 96%of every day(except my birthday) then it's going to be a long road.
choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 07:45 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

I am post menopausal too. I know the weight didn't come on overnight but I sure wish it was faster coming off.
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:04 AM   #6  
Sis

S/C/G: 306highest/281/265.5/180

Height: 5' 5"

I have been taking 100 mcgs of levoxyl for years. I had to have half my thyroid taken out due to a goiter on it when daughter was about 8 I think. She is now going to be 17. I did and am trying to do again WW then and though it wasnt super fast I lost 98 lbs. I stayed at that weight for about 5 yrs. Unfortunately the last 2 1/2 yrs have taken their toll on me emotionally, losing my mom and then my brother, and I have gained about 40 lbs. I am trying to get back on track and WW to me is the best program to follow. I didn't find that the thyroid medicine affected it too much, though it probably did some. Hope that helps.
Sis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #7  

Sis, I'm sorry to hear about your loss... emotional disturbances can DEFINITELY hinder your weight loss, let alone a thyroid problem!

I guess we thyroid folks have just got to play with the cards we were dealt... it sucks, but I guess it will feel like that much more of an accomplishment once the weight is lost.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:11 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 260/243.8/160 (High of 410)

Height: 5'7"

Hi there ... I've had hypothyroidism since I was eleven (11) years old. I'm a bit of a unique case ... but, i'm taking 500 mcg of snythroid and 25 mcg of cytomel daily. One thing I hope you were told is this - make sure to take your meds first thing in the AM with water and do not eat for 60 minutes. This is to make sure that the meds get absorbed.

My Endo just prescribed the Cytomel (about 6 weeks ago) as he's had luck using it with other patients who reported that they were finding it hard to lose weight and who reported decreased energy levels. I have to say, I think it's helped me.

Also since this affects our metabolism you may find that you have to exercise twice as much to get desired results.

Hugs,
Babette
Babette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 12:10 PM   #9  

funny, I was never told anything about how to take the meds other than to take it at the same time every day. I usually don't have time in the mornings to wait an hour before eating breakfast! I wonder how much this affects things?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #10  

Height: 5' 10"

Just jumping in on this as well. I've been on levoxyl for about 8 years now. Its critical that you take your meds in the am on an empty stomach. Don't take vitamins in the am either - certain things in a multi vitamin will block the abosorbtion.

As far as weight loss - what I have found is that when my levels are correct I can lose. When I have issues with losing -- either not happening or slow, I need to have my levels checked. I think some people think that once I am on something that you'll start losing - not true. I have 3 sisters who are also hypothyroid and what we all have found is that even when our levels are correct, we lose slow. Not sure if that is just how we are or related to the thyriod issues.

Betty - check with your pharmacist on how best to take your medicine. I know my pharmacy gives an info sheet when I fill my prescription. HTH.
blessedwithsarah is offline   Reply With Quote