Old 08-17-2009, 09:46 AM   #1  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Default 40-Somethings August Week 3 Chat

OK, I'll kick off the new week!
OMW - Michigan actually went and made a law that no schools can start before Labor Day. We're a big tourist state, and right now that income is huge for us. God bless you, Carol, for doing the HARDEST job in the world - guaranteeing our future. I tried it, and couldn't hack it - I just couldn't give that much.
Heidi - Great job with the workouts! Sounds like your scale is absolutely top of the line (that was me that asked about it). Not sure I'd want to have one that awesome, because I can still have just a little fantasy left about rounding errors with mine.
dancer - DH and I approach our weight issues separately. He's begun to ask questions about calorie counting, though. He's the kind of guy who will do all his research first, and then jump in and never look back. He's thinking about it ... he's about 6'1" and is probably up around 215 right now. It's too much for him, and he knows it - he's got the beginnings of arthritis in his ankles, and he's already had one knee arthroscopically cleaned up.
patchworkpenguin - BEST WISHES on your surgery! Will be thinking about you and sending good thoughts ...
marie - I'm looking forward to hearing about your swim - open water, or your pool? I have a little blender that's like a Bullet, and agree totally - they are WONDERFUL for small batches of salad dressing, pesto, protein shakes, chopping onions, salsa, chutney ... ad infinitum! And my DH can blame a lot of his waistline on beer, too. He's going to have to make some some decisions there.
hotsplashes - I'm with you on the tomatoes - bring 'em on. I prefer my tomatoes with higher acid, but truly, I've never met one I didn't love. We can talk tomatoes in EVERY thread (shucks, let's devote a thread just to tomato chat!). There was a recipe just this weekend in the local paper for Savory Tomato Pie ... it looked pretty darn good but working it into a calorie count long enough to get it all eaten might be a little tricky. One of our favorite salads at home is 50% tomato/50% cucumbers chopped up, and dressed lightly with a vinegar/Miracle Whip/black pepper dressing. Celery leaf is good in it, and so is a tiny-diced jalapeno. mmmmm! WAY TO GO with responding to the *****. Some people just weren't raised right, and need to be knocked off their high horses.
gardenerjoy- WELCOME aboard! I'm a whole-foodie calorie counter and journaler. I've tried it ALL before, and this time, with the support of the 3FC'ers, I am in the process of making lifetime changes.
nell - welcome back, and great job practicing for maintenance!
pres - congrats on your new decade! And we knew you were too full of love to not have some new furbabies soon ... and of course, we will want pictures!

I had a busy weekend, but I am very pleased to report that I discussed my career plans with DH, and he thinks I've got a very solid plan. It's conservative (as am I), and I can make the turnaround with keeping my secure day job (well, as secure as any job is in these times). So now I'm proceeding to the writing of the business plan, and scheduling a meeting with DH's accountant to figure out the timing of incorporation. He went down the entrepreneur road 2 years ago - I learned what sort of questions to ask. First order of business is to clear the decks - I have two more writing assignments to finish for a course I'm taking, and I am going to remove as much clutter from my house as I possibly can so that I can focus my energies on this venture. Thanks to everyone for the support! It's very exciting to actually want to get out of bed in the morning. I realized I've been in a cubicle for TWENTY years... and enough is enough!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #2  
Green Tomatoes

Height: 5'9"

presmaggie: Congrats on the new decade!
when I'm feeling lazy, I sometimes make a peanut sauce that is just peanut butter thinned with equal parts of apple cider vinegar and low sodium soy sauce. It's good on veggies and leftover rice steamed in the microwave. Also, I kid you not, it's good as a dressing for sliced cabbage -- I consume huge cabbage salads in the winter with that.
Let me know how the greens recipe goes. I find stir fry recipes intimidating at first, but by the second or third time I make them, they seem easy.

Marie: Thanks for all the pointers. I think I'm probaby quality over quantity, too, or I would be if I can get myself to slow down when I eat. And I've been discovering the last couple of years, that I like lots more vegetables than I thought -- the trick, for me, is to eat them in season and locally grown if possible. I suspect that I will also end up committing to daily weighing and food logs to keep me on track for the rest of my life.
I hope your swim went well!

Patchwork Penguin: holding good thoughts in my heart for your surgery today

OnMyWay: holding good thoughts in my heart for you and your students today

ICUwishing: You've got a great plan! Good for you for taking the steps to get where you want to be.

I ate well yesterday and lost a pound! All water, I'm sure, but it's an encouraging start. I'm continuing to work through Beck and make some other goals and rules for myself that will help me along this journey. Also, I walked on the treadmill since it was raining when I wanted to take my walk.

Last edited by gardenerjoy; 08-17-2009 at 10:32 AM.
gardenerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #3  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Penguin, I ‘m thinking of you today. I hope that this 2nd surgery is as successful as the first. And the buzz, set a timer if you need, but not listening to the swish of the washer and hum of the dryer far outweighs not hearing the timer. Trust me on that one!

ICU, isn’t it frustrating to find a tasty recipe but know that if you had to work it into your calorie budget for days to make it all go away a pain??? I think I’d be more adventurous trying new recipes if it was a small, 1-2 person, serving. Great news on moving forward with the business plan. You mentioned a gemologist. What exactly do you want to do?

Joy, YEAH on the lost pound. Never discount any weight loss. Perhaps it was .5 water and .5 fat pound. You never know and it is encouraging. I too am a fast eater when I’m hungry. Try some of the old standby tricks – drink a huge glass of water , have a cup of hot vege broth soup, a vege salad lo-cal salad dressing (aka no croutons ,bacon bits, cheese, etc). Truly when you’re not starving, it’s way easier to eat slower. And great job on getting the exercise in regardless of the weather.

I did the swim. Since I’d made my declaration yesterday, I procrastinated until 6 in the evening. But I decided I didn’t have to do the whole thing if I didn’t want. Then as I started, I couldn’t stop because I do this annually and if I didn’t do the mile, then I’d feel the need to do it next weekend. So… I kept going until the mile was done. My reward??? Another pound lost today. As my losing week of my cycle is over now, I won’t be posting losses (except the small .2’s) for another few weeks. But I just love the 3rd week of my cycle.

I must end my break and start working. Yes I took a break here as soon as my computer was logged in. It’s Monday and who really wants to just right in???
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:18 PM   #4  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Marie - I'm going to pursue certification as a registered gemologist/insurance appraiser, and combine that with a web/internet marketing course I took two summers ago. I've discovered a sweet spot in the market that is not being covered by ANYBODY - and while the demand isn't astronomical, it is most definitely there, in a niche that has dollars to spend. I have some groundwork to do over the next couple months that will help me figure out my timeline - obviously, I have to go back to school and I know this program is rigorous. There's a lot of content for the website that has to be written up, but can be done ahead of time. There are insurance issues, safety concerns, and incorporation ... just to start! I've wanted to work for myself for a long time, so I started researching what was involved several years ago. Only a few days ago, though, did I finally figure out the business concept, and over the weekend confirmed that there is nothing like what I want to do out there already. Color me "enthused"!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:52 PM   #5  
Learner

S/C/G: 201/183/155

Height: 5' 5"

ICU - you are an inspiration! Good for you for going for your dreams.

Marie - so how long does it take to swim a mile? That sounds like a loooong way in a pool. Thanks for the comment about the furbabies. They have been such a comfort to me. I still miss my old cat, but these two are so much fun, too. Well, they will be when they are a bit quieter at night. I think they were a in sort of cat house at the breeder's and they are a bit too talkative and nocturnal for me to sleep well. I've been combing the internet for help and one person said that they must have been rewarded for being noisy before (ie. attention) and that I have to learn to only give them attention when they are quiet. So far, it has already worked to some degree.

gardenerjoy - I'll tell you how the recipe went once I have tried it. Thanks again. My dh is cooking tonight - a Jamie Oliver recipe for Salmon Cakes - I'm drooling just thinking about it.

Patchwork - thinking of you today.

dancer - my dh followed my lead when I started exercising and eating better. He has more to lose than I did, so I'm glad that he's working on it. He already has lots of risk factors for diabetes (mom had it) and cardiovascular disease (dad had it) without the extra weight.

Today's workout went a lot better than Friday's. I made sure that I ate more carbs last night and my energy and recovery is much better today. On Friday, my cardio portion was really hard, but today's was much easier.
presmaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 05:01 PM   #6  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Hey all! My second cataract surgery went well, but I think it triggered a migraine and my stomach is very upset. The vision in the new eye is blurry but I can tell its a big inprovement! there's a lot of gunk in there still so it will take a few days to clear out. I get to throw away my contacts and solutions, and donate my glasses. I got a new set of drops for the right eye and now have to keep the left drops seperate from the left's drops so I don't get them confused!! But if this is the worst I have to complain about, I feel I'm doing fine. Thanks for the prayers and well wishes.
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:49 PM   #7  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Patch, Glad to hear your surgery went well. Take it easy but enjoy your new eyes!

presmaggie, Great job with the workouts. It's a great feeling to feel things getting easier. Keep up the good work! Salmon Cakes for dinner! Yummy! Can I come over?

ICU, sounds like you have a great plan. You have put lots of thought into everything. We'll be cheering you on!

Marie, congrats on losing another pound! Way to go on the mile swim! That's awesome!

Gardenerjoy, A pound is a pound! you're off to great start!

My first day with kids went great! We have a pretty small group. (I work in a special ed preschool room) Got up early and got my walk in before school. I'm hoping I can continue to do that at least until the time changes. Then my plan is to do the treadmill. I would much rather exercise first thing.

DH just got home from work. He asked me what I was doing and I told him I was posting to my fat chick friends. He said it shouldn't be called that, it should be former fat chicks instead. I thought that was pretty sweet of him!

My neighbor came over late last night with a big bag of cherry tomatoes from his garden. Guess what I had for lunch?

Hope everyone had a great day!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #8  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

I FINALLY lost a 2nd pound! I'm sooo impressed with what everyone on this site is doing and am hoping maybe the weight is starting to budge so I can report some good progress too : ) Did great with my eating today and went to the gym on my lunch break to walk on the treadmill. Went out to dinner with a friend but I think I did ok, in spite of the small icecream. I started taking some of the herbal life products again, so I'm not sure if that's what's helping, or being really strict with my eating as well as trying to keep up with the walking. Tomorrow is my friday, woo-hoo!
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 187/185/140

Height: 5'9

Hello everyone. Just stopping by quickly to check on everyone and especially Penguin!

PEnguin... Congrats on the successful surgery... I hope you feel better soon!!

See everyone tomorrow!
Hotsplashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #10  
Waddle fast Flap hard FLY

S/C/G: Top 272~restart 255

Height: 5'7

Marie, I like the new avatar
patchworkpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:04 AM   #11  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Very quick note to say, MARIE!!! I love your new avatar! What a great photo; you look wonderful -- slim, confident, happy. You are quite pretty!
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:49 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 186/151.8/125

Height: 5'3 and a bump =}

Hello Ladies,

Let me introduce myself. I am a 40 something, mom of 4, Licensed Massage Therapist and Certified Reiki Master Teacher.

I have just joined '3 fat chicks'. I have visited this forum a million times before I decided to join. I typically don't do this sort of thing, but, I have enjoyed reading numerous posts, and thought, this is a great group to be part of.

I wasn't sure where to start until I saw the '40 something' heading. "that's me"

I have just started my weightloss journey as of 7/27/09. So far, so good. I have already lost 11lbs and am very motivated.

So I would like to thank you in advance for any advice, support, motivation, etc...

Thanks again, and I wish all of you much success on your weight loss journeys!
madison27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:09 AM   #13  
Ready to hit the beach!

Height: 5' 8"

Checking in before school. DD's first day of middle school is today. She's been up since 5:45! Had everything ready last night. She didn't want me to walk up to the bus stop, so I waited on the driveway. She's growing up!

marie, GREAT avatar. You look beautiful!

Weightlosswanted, Congrats on another pound. They all add up! Keep up the good work. Don't worry about a little ice cream as long as it's not a whole gallon! You have to have a treat every now and then.

WELCOME madison. This is a great group. We're glad to have you with us! 11 pounds is a great start!

Hope everyone has a great day!
Onmyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #14  
Heidi

Good morning everyone. Wow, all the back-to-schools already! My boys go in a week from Thursday (8/27).

Congrats on the pound lost, GardenerJoy! And on the swim, Marie!

I'm glad you're feeling better, PresMaggie. And I'm so glad that your surgery went well, Penguin. I hope your migraine is gone today and your sight is restored. What a wonderful feeling that must be!

I'm glad that work is off to a great start, OnMyWay. Do you teach the same kids each year, or do you start off with a new group each time? I'm glad your daughter was so excited to go off to school today. I don't think it will be quite the same scene in my house next week...

Congratulations on the 2nd pound, WeightlossWanted. That's all it is, right? One pound after another, just strung all together. You're off to a great start! What kind of work do you do, where today is your Friday (lucky you!!).

Madison27, welcome to the group; I'm glad you've found us! Congrats on your 11 lbs, you are doing great!

As for me, I'm doing well. Sticking with my exercise routing (arm weights, followed by a dab of ab work, followed by 40 min of cardio) and I am really glad I came up with the idea of the large print books. It is making all the difference for me! Wrt food, I've screwed my head back on and am back to healthy foods / portion control.

I'm trying not to hyper-obsess about the scale. Looking at the big picture, I lost 5lbs each in Feb, March, April, and May, and have maintained for June, July, August. I'm pretty happy where I am, but I want to lose more. The scale read 165.0 this morning and I am confident I can get it down more...
Old 08-18-2009, 09:41 AM   #15  
Heidi

Oh, and Sunday was the Super Bowl Party I was so concerned about. My MIL put on quite a spread so I was able to enjoy raw veggies, fresh fruit, a handful of nuts, some guacamole, and a cheese cube (which was smoked cheese -- yuck, I don't like that! Made it easy...). I declined having anything to drink just by being honest that it was too early in the day for me. And that was that.

The party itself was silly, if you ask me. We sat around and watched TV for hours on end, which just isn't how I normally choose to spend my time. I knew that bringing a book would be considered rude. So I just sat patiently facing the TV, letting it wash over me, until it was time to go. Although at one time DS8 started acting up (he couldn't stand sitting there any longer, either!) so he and I scooted out and walked to Starbucks in the 90-degree heat together. Then straight back to the TV cave... Ugh.