Old 08-16-2009, 11:29 PM   #1  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

Default OT - How do you meet people?

And by people I mean guys with which to have a romantic relationship with

So I got my tarot cards read in SF. Astrology, all that stuff, is a hobby of mine. I don't take it *too* seriously, but its fun.

This one said I need to learn how to let things happen instead of forcing them. This is a problem I have (see title of this thread, for example).

I've been on eHarmony for a long time, and its just a money suck (for me). I'm letting my membership expire, saying to myself that I'm trying to buy a house and going back to school, I need to focus on that.

However, I'm 27.5. TWO of the girls I went to highschool with got married this weekend, and the majority of them are already married. I just don't know where to meet people. I go out with my girl friends, but most people I know are attached and don't have single friends who want to date.

What do all of you do to meet people?
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #2  
live ur life

S/C/G: 236/230/150

Height: 5'8

omg I totally relate - there have been 4 weddings this summer alone! most of my friends are married or got someone in their life. i can't give advice here, i'm in the same boat lol = /
caliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:31 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/129

Height: 5'4

Now, I'm in university studying social sciences, which means that 90% of my classes are filled with other keener females. Bummer. I have met a couple really swell boys of dating sites, but being a starving student, I don't pay, and have used POF, as its free. I would recoment trying it out! Also, allow for your friends to match you up - My parents met on a blind date!
hiimnatalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:47 AM   #4  
Queen Yo-yo

S/C/G: 185/169.2/135

Height: 5'4"

My parents met on a blind date too.

But I totally feel your pain. I go on POF sometimes, but tonight I had my first MSN conversation with this one really cute guy, and he invited his buddy into the convo... and it was all super freakin' sketchy. The one guy was just really rude and making inappropriate jokes, and I was like, "This is it. This is what's left. Douchebags." Also, I find guys on dating sites tend to ask a lot why someone as "cute as you" is still single, and I'm just like, "Eff, buddy, I don't know, why are YOU still single, huh? Maybe we both have DEFECTS."

I wish you tons of luck, and I hope a terrific boy falls into your lap. But I hope one falls into mine as well. :P

Last edited by Jelbb; 08-17-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Jelbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:19 AM   #5  
Night Shift chickie!

S/C/G: 189/159.6/150

Height: 5'6

yup. i totally feel where you're coming from. i have a bf at the moment, and hes far from perfect. sometimes i think oh well, not like im going to find someone better, cuz i dont do anything to meet new people! you can always try meetup.com. its not specifically for dating, but just meeting people with similar interests and you never know what cuties are gonna be there...

im also in maryland, and i hear ads on the radio for a singles recreation club thing. where singles sign up to do fun things like mountain climbing and white water rafting, fun stuff that you wouldnt normally do. but for the life of me a cant remember the web address, but that might be cool to try, the possibility of getting a date without the awkward online blind date setup

sorry if this wasnt much help, but hang in there...
sassybangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:23 AM   #6  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

meetup.com, get out and do things you enjoy, and plentyoffish.com if you want to do the online dating. it's free and you'll find the same guys that are available on most of the other sites as well!
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:34 AM   #7  
Wanting 2 b Smokin Hot!

S/C/G: 396/350/199

Height: 5'2''

omg u sound like me! im 27 too and im not on e harmony but was on match.com and i swear i cant find any1 normal or maybe there is something wrong with me? there are days where i like being single but some-days not so much.
CurvaceousCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:35 AM   #8  
This is not a test.

S/C/G: 187/132/127.8

Height: 5'5''/165cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiimnatalie View Post
Now, I'm in university studying social sciences, which means that 90% of my classes are filled with other keener females. Bummer. I have met a couple really swell boys of dating sites, but being a starving student, I don't pay, and have used POF, as its free. I would recoment trying it out! Also, allow for your friends to match you up - My parents met on a blind date!
I do psychology- same issue! Try going to the engineering department No really
Iconised Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:24 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

I met my fiance on lavalife! I didn't even pay hahaha, but he did. It was an accident since I made a mistake in my postal code so I got matches from far away (vancouver Island for those interested). But anyway, we talked a lot but didn't start dating for another year because I wasn't really interested.. and I reconnected with someone from my high school. Anyway, after that was over, he moved here when we finally started going out.

That being said there are a LOT of weirdos on online dating sights, you just have to sift through them lol.

My advice is to join an outdoor club (they go biking, rockclimbing, etc) usually have nice guys there. There are a lot of guys in my department at school (geology) too. Figure out what kind of guy you like, and then where would such a guy hang out/what would he do in his spare time? And pick up those hobbies, or hang out in those places. I've even met some nice guys at bars/clubs, just don't write them off by the stupid things they do while intoxicated lol.

Last edited by aneleh; 08-17-2009 at 07:32 AM.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:36 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by weightlosswanted View Post
meetup.com, get out and do things you enjoy, and plentyoffish.com if you want to do the online dating. it's free and you'll find the same guys that are available on most of the other sites as well!
I just got a card for the Atl Outdoor Social Club on meetup.com yesterday and was very intrigued. Hoping to find some other cool groups on that site too.

I never meet new people anymore either since I graduated from uni (and not too many in Uni since most art majors and ed majors are girls). Most of my new co-workers are college freshmen, they might as well still be high schoolers. I used to meet new guys (usually the wing man) through my friends, but every single one of them currently has a boyfriend. I still love hanging out with them and their bfs, but I'm not meeting anyone new that way anymore
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:09 AM   #11  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarosa27 View Post
...What do all of you do to meet people?
I'm not single anymore but I totally understand how you feel. I hear about this site a lot on the radio. I don't know where in Maryland you live, I live in MD as well . Events and adventures - DC metro area.

Also, if you go to this site and scroll down to Social and Event based organizations for other event based stuff to do.

Another one - Amazing Singles - Baltimore/DC Metro Area. Social event based sites listed.

HTH
Good Luck!

Last edited by pintobean; 08-17-2009 at 08:11 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #12  
Keep On Keepin' On!

S/C/G: 190/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

You never know, your true love could be staring you in the face and you don't know it! My fiance and I had been friends for about 7 years. He was married and his wife was also a close friend. She ended up cheating on him and leaving him and I was part of his support network...a year later he moved in! I never liked him *like that* but after months and months of hanging out to help eachother get over break-ups we just clicked and have been together ever since! If you had asked me 3 years ago if I would have ever thought I'd end up marrying him I'd have laughed so hard I'd pee myself. LOL...but it's been the best thing that ever happened to me!

When I was always looking for love I used some online sites, but I actually had the best results from networking. I volunteered A LOT and met so many new people, and I also do a lot of networking through LinkedIn based on professional groups I belong to. Then at least you know you'll meet someone with very close interests to you!

27 isn't that old!!!

Cj
hello pinki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:49 AM   #13  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconised Ghost View Post
I do psychology- same issue! Try going to the engineering department No really
Speaking as a girl engineer-- you are totally right on there. There are a lot of nerdy guys, but they are nice guys.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:58 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

My dad and brother are engineers. Nerds, yup, but sweet And handy for technical and electrical questions And responsible is underrated.

Last edited by JulieJ08; 08-17-2009 at 09:59 AM.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:54 AM   #15  

S/C/G: 182/162/105

Height: 5'2"

I was just having this convo with my sister and soon to be fiance!! I completely hear ya stella. It is not easy out there for our age. I'm 26, and yes it does feel old because majority of the people out there in our age group are in relationships. And guys our age want the younger, early 20s chicks.

I personally do not like online dating, even though my sister met the soon to be online. Yesterday he even offered to pay for me to start online dating!!! I feel like I am better in person. I can't just type out my likes, dislikes, personailty.... and so on.
LucySinatra is offline   Reply With Quote