Old 08-16-2009, 08:19 AM   #1  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Default Loss of appetite

Can I ask for your opinions?

I've lost my appetite and it's beginning to worry me. In my "former life" (being part-Asian) I'd cook tons of food, have a heaped plate (or two) and save the rest for the next day. Now I cook smaller meals - like much smaller, I use a small plate to measure my portions - and I just can't finish them.

This has been going on for a couple of weeks now (and I've got the scarily fast weight loss to prove it), but just now it's really hit home. I had made a small meal for myself: a slice of bread, egg on top, some cheese on top of that.

And I could only eat 3/4 of it. Three-quarters of one slice of bread.

I'm beginning to get worried - should I mention this to my doctor? Any tips on getting my appetite back? It's hard to make a sensible eating plan when I look at all the recipes and don't feel like eating any of them.

Last edited by salsa chip; 08-16-2009 at 08:23 AM.
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:06 AM   #2  
Happiness is not a weight

Height: 5' 8"

I went through something similar when I was in my teens - I'd go weeks and weeks at a time without ever really feeling hungry. It could be that it's a natural response to eating healthier - maybe your body is adjusting and rediscovering how much food it really needs.

That said, it's still worth talking to your doctor about, as there are some serious health conditions that can cause loss of appetite and rapid weight loss. It's a good idea to journal your food intake from now until you can see your doc so that he or she can help determine if what you're eating is reasonable or if there's something actually wrong.
smisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:17 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

With all respect, this could be the beginning of eating disorder. If you have measured out how much food you should eat for a meal or snack, according to your plan, then eat all of it, even if you don't "feel" like it. Your body needs those nutrients! You risk losing more than fat--and that is not good.

I agree you should talk to your doctor if this persists.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:32 AM   #4  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Thanks, both Jay and smisen. I think I'll have to sit down and ruthlessly plan out what I'm going to eat for this week, and then, drat it, eat the stuff.

I never thought I have a problem with portions this way round. I always imagined that it would be an overeating thing with me. To be honest this is a little scary.
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:15 PM   #5  
Finding my wings...

S/C/G: 256/see ticker/156

Height: 5'2 and a freakin' HALF!

I dunno... after like a month or so of starting my weighloss journey, I actually experienced this too. I'd lost quite a bit in the first month (like 8 or 9lbs) really quick, and all of a sudden all the food that I had to eat (healthy though it was) seemed daunting, even if they were in tiny portions compared to what I was used to. I'd have to FORCE myself to eat them, sometimes. But I'm glad that I did, because eventually after a few weeks my normal appetite returned and I was soooo much lighter, healthier, and feeling GREAT.

Eat what you KNOW you're supposed to a day, and stick to it no matter if you just don't feel hungry. I think it's a physical reaction to the healthy lifestyle change, and perhaps a mental one in some ways... but your body still needs to be nourished!

I still get that feeling every now and then.... but I just push past it and keep going and I feel pretty awesome!
starfishkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #6  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

Have you significantly upped your exercise?

I find that exercise significantly reduces my appetite. My theory is that my body is stopping me from eating before I get too full, just in case I have to exercise soon, as exercising when full is no fun at all.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote