Looking Good, Feeling Great Plus to Petite Shopping, the Home Spa, and Beauty Tips for Beautiful Chicks

Old 08-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Default What Bra Size?

So I'm in desperate need of a new bra. I think I'm between sizes but can't wait any longer as I've had to throw out my last white bra as the underwire was poking through. The size I was wearing is a 36DD but these are now on the tightest hooks and a little loose so I figured I needed to go down a band size to 34. However the current cup size seemed to fit well and the advice is to go up a cup size if going down a band size. So today I go out and purchase a 34E. I'm not one for changing rooms so I get the bra home, try it on to find out its too big, both in the band and a little in the cup. So where do I go from here. The range I bought does not do 32s in the larger cups sizes and the 32s only go up to a D cup.

My actual measurements are 31" underbust and 38.5" around my bust.

I know I'm going to have to try some on now but very confused where to start. Any advice?

Kitty

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #2  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

My older sister has this problem...it's almost impossible for her to find a bra that fits. She's a 32G...

You might have to start looking online. A lot of the stores sell smaller band sizes with bigger cup sizes online...and if you're that desperate and you cant find anything in the US, European bras have a much larger variety of sizes. All I can say is you might be looking at some pretty expensive bras for the future. =/
DivineFidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #3  
kathi

S/C/G: 172/172/140

Height: 5'3"

before you go ordering online, or even buy more bras in the store, get fitted by a professional. a sales rep at lane bryant measured me the last time I was bra shopping and it turned out I was completely wrong as to the band and cup size I need. after years of searching I finally found bras that fit and were comfortable!
weightlosswanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:19 PM   #4  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

That is true...and the reps at Layne Bryant or Cacique (the layne bryant lingere store) are generally really knowledgeable and have never been wrong when they measured me before...It's definitely a good idea to get measured first.
DivineFidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:26 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 236/tracker/145

Height: 5'6

Getting fitted is the way to go. I went because I needed a strapless bra for a bridesmaid dress. I never could find anything that fit right but that was because I was totally wearing the wrong size. Turns out I wasn't even putting it on right...who knew!
Viking Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:42 PM   #6  

If you can't find a professional bra fitter you can try this:

http://www.lindasonline.com/bra-fitting-room.html

You measure yourself, put in the numbers and it calculates your recommended bra size.
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:57 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 318.9/ticker/165

Height: 6'

Here's the web site I used. I worked perfectly.

http://www.85b.org/bra_calc.php

Make sure you read the instructions at the bottom. When measuring under your bust you should pull the measuring tape very snugly. When measuring around your bust the tape should be loose.
Skinnycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:13 PM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I agree it's best to get properly fitted if you can. I was wearing a 40C turns out I needed a 38D! No more popping out boobies yay!
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:55 PM   #9  

Height: 5'11"

My current size (professionally fitted, super supportive and very comfortable) is 36G, but out of curiosity I checked out both sites. One site told me I was a 38H and the other said I was a 40C. Sorry, but if I was to wear a 40" band, my boobies would be falling out underneath the band. I started out 40-some pounds ago in a 38 band but it would also be hopelessly big now.

I think your best bet is to get professionally fitted at a good bra shop or a higher-end department store where the fitters are knowledgeable.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:50 AM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby1 View Post
If you can't find a professional bra fitter you can try this:

http://www.lindasonline.com/bra-fitting-room.html

You measure yourself, put in the numbers and it calculates your recommended bra size.
This one makes me a 34G!

Kitty
Old 08-16-2009, 04:53 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinnycow View Post
Here's the web site I used. I worked perfectly.

http://www.85b.org/bra_calc.php

Make sure you read the instructions at the bottom. When measuring under your bust you should pull the measuring tape very snugly. When measuring around your bust the tape should be loose.
And this one a 36DD (the size I'm currently wearing that's a little big under the band. BTW this is UK sizing.

I think the 34E I got might just be a poorly sized as it was from a cheaper chain store.

Kitty
Old 08-29-2009, 09:03 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 285/249/130

Height: 5'6''

well the lindasonline.com one is way off..... it says I am a 38j and there is NO way............ a ddd is too big and a 40dd fits perfectly. The people at lane bryant measured me wrong a year ago. they said I was a 42ddd and I was a 44g i think..... Just go by the one you have... if it is big at the band; then go a band down; if it is big in the cup; take off a cup...there is a true starting point.
Robbynmarie k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 10:21 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

A bra fitting helps, but nothing beats trying it on. I wear a 44DD in lane bryant bras, but I just got a bra from movingcomfort.com and had to get a 42D

And I used to work at lane bryant. People would come in for bra fittings and then not want to believe what they were told. I have to say, if you are planning on getting a bra fitting DRESS FOR IT. No bulky clothes. And don't make it akward for the sale lady. If you have large breasts, lift them up for her when she's trying to measure your band size. Just lifting you arms works for women with smaller/perkier breasts, but not for the bigger ladies. And it's kinda weird to have to ask someone to lift their breasts for you. Also, wear your most supportive bra for a more accurate reading. Also many women would ask for a smoothing, suppotive bra but refuse to try a padded bra. Seriously, if you wear a DDD, an extra 2mm of padding isn't going to make you look that much bigger. Sorry, that was my rant. I hated doing bra fittings

Last edited by Aclai4067; 08-29-2009 at 10:30 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 02:03 AM   #14  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

If you're in the UK, try http://www.bravissimo.com/.
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:56 AM   #15  

Well just to follow up on this thread I ended up buying a 34DD and a Shockabsorber sports bra in a 34E. Judging by the band size in the normal bra I could probably get in a 32 band but I'd need to go to a store that has specialty sizing for the cups and of course pay mega $$.

Kitty