Old 08-15-2009, 05:52 PM   #1  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

Default frozen entrees, friend or foe?

hello all, first of all i need to explain a few things about my eating habits.#1, i hate cooking, and i suck at it. #2, i generally only prepare meals for myself. #3, i am in grad school and constantly need good "on the go" options. (im explaining all this basically to say, i know its better to cook yourself well rounded meals, but thats not really an option for me, and even if it were, i doubt id do it)

i need to find food options i can live with. a lot of what got me to this weight was the need for fast, convenient meals. stopping at mcdonalds/burger king/etc on the way home...

i have become a BIG fan of lean cuisine frozen entrees, but i keep getting mixed information. i typically only eat one a day. i keep hearing that theyre high in fat and sodium, but the meals im eating average about 8g of fat and 690mg of sodium (which IS high, but the rest of my diet is pretty low sodium). i also eat a LOT of whole grain/low sugar cereal, and salsa. im fairly routine in my meals and dont feel the need for a lot of variety. lean cuisine feels like a good dinner option for me, that i could stick with, and they typically include a protein and vegetables.

im concerned because some people are telling me that theyre bad for you and that im sabotaging myself. any thoughts? anyone else have experiences?
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:58 PM   #2  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

The sodium can make you retain water, but just drink more water and you will be okay. I am a calorie counter and I use lean cuisines a lot. 1. Because I only cook for myself on those meals (my husband eats lunch at work (leftovers or a sandwich), and 2. I am a college student and sometimes need a fast option other than subway.

Calories are calories in my opinion. I haven't had any problem with them and I was eating at least 1 a day for about a month. And come august 24th when classes start again I will be eating them more often again.

I tend to add a little more vegetable on the side, because I like veggies, they are low in calorie and provide a little more volume.

You have to find what works for you, not someone else, and obviously you aren't hurting yourself too bad, you have lost 40lbs! You are qualified to choose what works for you!

Great job so far and keep up the great work~!
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:44 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 145/119/120

Height: 5'2"

Try Amy's reduced sodium line of product. They are really good and don't have any preservatives. But they are bit expensive as compared to other frozen food and does not have entree with meat products (at least i haven't found one).
healthyliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #4  
on the way to skinny

S/C/G: 278/ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

I've been eating frozen entrees from lean cuisine, smart ones, and healthy choice for at least one meal a day for a month as well. It might not be the best option, but when you're a college student and you're on the go a lot and you don't have much time...they really are a good option. I guess the way I think about it is that it's better then the junk i HAD been eating...all the fast food and stuff...so it's at least some kind of change. I do WW and use the flex points system, and those entrees are generally no more then 7 points...so it's a low point quick and easy option for me...

Whatever is working for you, I say keep doing. If it's worked so far, then it can't be bad right?...

lol. Good Luck with everything =D
DivineFidelity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #5  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

If it works for you, go for it. But you need to watch your overall sodium intake because a high sodium intake can affect your cardiovascular system in a bad way. But you're already doing that!

So I say --Go for it!!! If it fits with your life right now then why not...if you can sustain this, and keep the rest of your intake in balance, I would stay with what is working...you may want to try cooking down the road if you choose to do so, but for now, hey, why not stay with what works?

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #6  
Goddess of my universe

S/C/G: 221/see ticker/128

I agree about the Amys. I am vegan and I really like them. I buy them at Walmart or Super Target where they are only about $3.50 each versus elsewhere where they start at $5.50.
They tastes great as well.
borntobefine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #7  
a work in progress

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'6 1/2

thanks ladies! i think im going to keep on using them since theyve proven to be something i can stick with and are definitely MUCH better than the burger and fries i was eating before. thanks again!
juliastl27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:54 PM   #8  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Don't let anyone make you feel bad about your path when it is effective. You know, I've lost alot and I STILL get "advice" about what I SHOULD be doing to lose faster...I just say "Ya, you know, you're probably right..." and carry on with what I KNOW to be true for me.

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 08-15-2009 at 08:55 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I think there's no way they're the healthiest option if all were possible. You already know that. But they're certainly healthier than overeating and continuing to gain. They give you that chance to change your patterns, lose weight and feel better. You can always learn to cook later! No choice can be made in isolation. Yeah, it's better to cook. But you have to take everything into consideration.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:41 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

I used to eat them pretty often, they are good for when I'm feeling lazy and don't want to cook. I've cut down on them to try fitting in more vegetables and salads, but I've been slacking lately so I might just go back to the lean cuisines. The South Beach diet ones are really good too if you haven't tried them. SB used to have the best frozen pizzas for 400 calories that would satisfy a pizza craving.
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #11  

I figure that homemade is probably better as far as preservatives and sodium but who has time to cook at home always...not me. So yep, I eat the LC dinners too or any other quick food that makes my life easier when I'm too busy to cook. I try to drink lots of water too when I eat a higher sodium food like those.
bcgal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #12  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

If you hate cooking, you'll probably ALWAYS going to hate it, so enjoying the entrees is a sustainable thing for you As long as it works!
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #13  
The spangled kind

S/C/G: 225/135/135

Height: 5'4"

I relied almost exclusively on Lean Cuisines and other processed food (like canned beans) when I was losing, and I lost 90 pounds doing that. I don't particularly like to cook, and I don't have any aptitude for it either--I have no idea what flavors work together, I lack the patience to do it right, etc., etc. And to top it off, I'm an embarrassingly picky eater--vegetables are not my friends. My approach obviously wasn't the healthiest one, but it was much better than the way I had been eating. My sodium intake was very high, but it never caused a problem. Nurses always tell me that my blood pressure is "perfect," and when I have blood work done, my sodium and potassium levels are always where they're supposed to be. Assuming you have no problems with sodium, my advice would be to stick with what works for you.

I will say this, though. I found 3FC after I had lost the weight and was just starting to maintain. Reading about all the fabulous sounding food that other people eat has opened my brain to the possibility that I do not have to eat like a picky 6-year-old for the rest of my life. So I've been trying new foods and even doing some (simple) cooking. I'm still way too picky, but I'm getting better, and I plan to continue to get better on that front. And for that, I want to thank everyone on this board.
Cotinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:27 PM   #14  
Losing 20! :)

S/C/G: 190/190/140

Height: 5ft 5in

I didnt know how to cook and I eventually learned....You dont have to cook a 5 course meal....I do veggies and rice with a side of shrimp and its easy and fast..I like lean cuisine too though...But Im married with 4 kids so I cant eat them for dinner....Try south beach diet ones too....Look at sodium and even though it may say its high...What is the percentage of daily value? It may be like 15%..not that bad...I eat sandwiches when I dont want to have TV dinners....
kiahna23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:46 PM   #15  
Let's do this!

S/C/G: 210/149/140

Height: 5'6.5

I never had much use for them myself, but I can see how they would be a great tool for someone for all the reasons you listed (on-the-go, you don't cook, etc...) I think they can be a great tool for people who want to learn about portion sizes. I also think some people just lose a lot easier when things are made easy, so to speak, and they don't have to worry about stressing over portions because it's all right there on the label.

I don't know how LC would "sabatoge" you though. I don't think they are the healthiest things out there, but they do serve a purpose.

Last edited by junebug41; 08-18-2009 at 10:46 PM.
junebug41 is offline   Reply With Quote