Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 08-15-2009, 01:20 AM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default Help with a workout routine?

I need help. I work out very sporadically these days, on average probably one day a week and that's on the elliptical (30 minutes minimum, 45 minutes average). Of course, there are some weeks where I go three days and some weeks when I pass altogether.

I want to have a routine, work out a minimum of 4 days a week. I'm going to continue to use the elliptical, as I love that machine.. but I want to do more with the machines there. Sometimes I use them but I feel bad because I'm not consistent and I don't know how to go making a routine of them. I know some people do arms on certain days and legs on others. Well, I don't even know where to begin.

I guess what I'm getting at is that I need help creating a routine. Any suggestions? I can't afford a personal trainer at my gym at the moment, maybe in the future. Until then, I'm going to have to figure this out on my own (or with your help ).

Thank you in advance!
dollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:11 AM   #2  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Hi there,

I can understand it being overwhelming. We've all been there at one point or the other.

I would suggest first come up with how many days (and time) can you spare for exercise per week consistently. Once that is decided think of what you'd like to do - cardio or weight training or both and what type of cardio do you like etc. Once that is decided make sure you follow that diligently to see results. Here's a site for weight training for beginners and there are several other follow up links in there.

Weight training for beginners

For example, if you decide to workout 5 days/week for 1 hour/day. You can do something like this

Monday/Thursday - Weight Training
Tuesday/Wednesday/Friday - Cardio and some core exercise

Another suggestion - I would use the dumbbells instead of the machines. But if overwhelmed with dumbbells then start with the resistance machines and then gradually switch over to dumbbells.

HTH

Last edited by pintobean; 08-15-2009 at 08:16 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:34 PM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

The article that Pintobean suggested is very good advice for a beginner, I was going to suggest something similar as a workout...

It's important as a beginner to do compound exercises which work the larger muscle or group of muscles.

Here's another good article, same site too...
Weight Training 101
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote