Old 08-11-2009, 11:21 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/190

Height: 5'9"

Default I need a kick too!

Last night I was so ticked at myself - disgusted, etc. I had cake for breakfast, lunch, dinner... chips & Salsa. (And as I ate the salsa, I said to myself - this has tomatoes, hence it's good for me). I am a complete moron!!!

Now, I have been acting like this for 5 years, maybe more. I see so many here on this forum who have lost really impressive amount of weight, & I get really encouraged, but then I go do something stupid again.

So, I was going to post this morning, but I actually got up early, had an awesome walk, ate on program for breakfast, & did well the rest of the day - even though my kids had milkshakes!

I ended up feeling pretty good today. Other than keeping cake out of the house (which I normally do), what should I do? I know I can't be the only one to do this to myself - I literally sabatoge myself & have consistently done it for years. I'm really an intelligent person, & don't have this issue in other areas - why is it so hard for me to START a good program & stick with it long enough so that I actually see results? Please advise!

Thanks,
Beth

BTW, I really haven't lost as much weight as my ticker says, because when I got my new scale, I weighed myself at night, fully dressed (starting weight). Now I weigh in the morning, so it's obviously going to be less. So, I guess I can honestly say I've lost 3 lbs, which is better than nothing....
bcort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #2  
Mini Goal 1- 199

S/C/G: 275/201.3/160

Height: 5'7

Let yesterday go. I know for me, one bad night used to be the start of a slippery slope into a food orgy, for weeks or at times months. Look on the bright side, you got back on plan this morning. That's like 90% of the battle- the not giving up even when you're not too pleased with yourself. Don't let yourself get into the excuse of I've sabotaged myself and so there's no point. There is a point. This getting in shape thing is for life and yesterday is only one day in your whole life. If you stay on plan for the rest of the week that's 6 days of staying on plan which totally trump your 1 bad day. You can do this. Be encouraged by the many success stories here. Everyone has bad days, but pat yourself on the back for not letting your bad day become a bad week.

As for a possible suggestion, I try not to buy "bad" things to keep at home. However, I live alone and don't have kids or anything so all food decisions in my home are my own. Another thing that really helps me is before I'm allowed to put anything at all in my mouth, I write it down and calculate the calories. (I do this on my iPhone so that it's mobile and I have it with me everywhere; there are quite a few good apps for this kind of thing). This helps me in 3 ways. 1.) It makes me conscious of what exactly I'm putting in my mouth and how bad/good it is for me (so that I'm not caught in an unconscious bingeing stupor). 2.) Also it makes me measure out things like chips and salsa (18 chips and 1/4 cup of salsa are such-and-such calories) so that I'm not just bingeing from the bag and bottle. 3.) It keeps me conscious of how my consumption is affecting my daily plan i.e. if I binged on 800 (empty) calories of ice cream, what does that do to my plans to have steak or pasta for supper or take a day off exercising? (Answer: it puts the kibbosh on that. There are steamed veggies or soup and salad and a few extra minutes of exercise in my future for that day), which makes me think twice next time.

Last edited by toastedsmoke; 08-11-2009 at 11:47 PM.
toastedsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #3  

First of all, you need to forgive yourself - what's done is done. Second, read the post by dchound "This is what's different", and finally get some menus planned & get OP food in the house so you're not tempted. If you're feeling like you're going to slip, remember we're here to support you.
waquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:15 AM   #4  
Don't Give Up!

S/C/G: 262/137.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Beth it sounds like you had a great day. You resisted the milkshakes and got in a walk and did good on your program. I know there are certain foods I shouldn't bring in the house but still do. But that's something I need to work on to help with the food temptations. I guess we need to find some foods we like that are good for us and try to eat more of those. Right now
I'm trying to eat more fruit. Peaches are delicious this time of year! Learning to eat healthier takes time. It's hard not to give into foods use to eating. But know that we are more conscientious of it, we can work on trying to avoid those foods. Maybe, not forever but just for now. Or at least eat them only outside of the home when you can have a smaller portion.
VickieLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 08:44 AM   #5  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

Small steps, Beth. You DID have a great day by exercising and resisting the shakes -- now just to that again today and tomorrow and the next day. One day at a time.

I find that success breeds success. As you start to see the scale go down and feel better physically, it does encourage you to keep going and do more.

I would also say, make sure to explore and try different foods and recipes and look for alternatives you can enjoy. Once you learn to prepare things, I think there's a lot more you can have vs. pre-packaged stuff and by not denying yourself (eg: I've found chips, cookies and ice cream I am comfortable eating) it can really become a lifestyle change.

Good luck!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:03 AM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Okay, let me get this straight, you just started your new eating plan and within the first 3 pounds lost you ate cake for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Hummm. What in the heck are you thinking???? Don't you know that every time you eat that junk it is another day of being fat?

I know that there are many folks here that are taking baby steps, and a turtles pace, and learning as they go, and all that good stuff that says it's okay to have your cake and eat it too, and I guess thats great if you want to reach your goal in the year 2025...but come on. You are morbidly obese, and I KNOW it sucks to be like that. Get rid of the cake, don't buy anymore, decide you want this and do it, the sooner the better IMO. You'll be amazed what you can do.

Okay???

(you said you need a kick...so I kicked you!)

Last edited by Lori Bell; 08-12-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

You are just human. It kinda sucks doesn't it? LOL! It's funny...I was all ready to dump all sorts of praise on you for getting back on track when I realized what a hypocrite I would be if I did that. I am not trying to hijack your thread...and you really DO deserve praise, but I have been brooding for weeks now as I have lost and gained the same 3 pounds OVER AND OVER again for damn near 2 months or more! I have been so angry and disgusted with myself, beating myself up, calculating how much more weight I should have lost by now...
I wonder why it is SO much easier to support others, to be able to see the big picture for others; but NOT for yourself? It really doesn't make too much sense does it?
So, dust yourself off and be PROUD of YOU! I think that is one of the "secrets" to weight loss. Those people that truly can see the big picture for themselves and do not let set backs stop them...those are the ones that succeed where others do not. I hope when you read this thread that you are able to take that away with you. I can't wait until I achieve that goal myself.

Last edited by irishsarah; 08-12-2009 at 04:20 PM.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #8  
Resident Pixie

S/C/G: Pant Size - 28/12/8

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
Okay, let me get this straight, you just started your new eating plan and within the first 3 pounds lost you ate cake for breakfast, lunch and dinner? Hummm. What in the heck are you thinking???? Don't you know that every time you eat that junk it is another day of being fat?

I know that there are many folks here that are taking baby steps, and a turtles pace, and learning as they go, and all that good stuff that says it's okay to have your cake and eat it to, and I guess thats great if you want to reach your goal in the year 2025...but come on. You are morbidly obese, and I KNOW it sucks to be like that. Get rid of the cake, don't buy anymore, decide you want this and do it, the sooner the better IMO. You'll be amazed what you can do.

Okay???

Thank you, Lori Bell. I know somtimes we all just want to molly coddle each other, I do it too and want it too at times but sometimes we just need a good shakin and Lori Bell just gave you one. I hope you can make some use of it cause she knows what she is talking about.

Good luck, we are here for you
Onederchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:33 AM   #9  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post

I know that there are many folks here that are taking baby steps, and a turtles pace, and learning as they go, and all that good stuff that says it's okay to have your cake and eat it to, and I guess thats great if you want to reach your goal in the year 2025...but come on. You are morbidly obese, and I KNOW it sucks to be like that. Get rid of the cake, don't buy anymore, decide you want this and do it, the sooner the better IMO. You'll be amazed what you can do.

Okay???

Exactly! Consider your butt kicked from me too Now you know that cake is one of the things you might have to stay away from for a while....I can not even have it in my house. When my kid's birthdays rolled around whatever was left over went over to my dad's house next door, if not it drives me crazy & I will eat way more than I even want to. It was either that or it was going into the garbage

I am not one of the baby steps people....I cleaned the junk out and moved the good stuff in Just remember you aren't depriving anyone but yourself when you have the junk in your house, esp the stuff you can't say no to.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:35 AM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Lori darling, ever consider playing soccer? You'd be another Pele'.

But she's right. DECIDE to do this. Make that decision then make that COMMITMENT to do what is necessary to get the job done. You don't want to be fat - you DON'T have to be. It IS within your power, your control.

Make that ironclad commitment. Then find ways to make it work for you - devise a plan, change it up as need be and stick to that sucker like glue. LIKE GLUE. No more pushing it off till "tomorrow". TODAY was yesterday's tomorrow. You can tomorrow away your life before you know it. And that would be a shame.

Count calories, count grams, count points - count SOMETHING - something to keep you accountable and put the brakes on overeating. You bite it - you write it. Make yourself some definite NO's. Take the decision making process away - should I? shouldn't I? Don't make it an option TO eat "those foods". It's not restrictive - it's freeing. Take the power away from the food and put it firmly in your lap.

And no feeling deprived about not eating cake and the such. The real deprivation is EATING that cake and REMAINING fat.

Losing weight and a lot of it is doable. Set yourself up for success! Make that commitment - and follow through.

All the best.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 08-12-2009 at 09:37 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:57 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Will consider myself kicked too!
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Sometimes we all need that kick. I clicked over for a quick read because I am feeling tempted to eat some cake that we have had in the office for THREE days. They bought a huge sheet cake for a baby shower. I did fine at the shower because we also had a fruit platter and vegetable platter but I have suffered wanting that cake. The sad thing is that I thought I was over wanting junk like that.

Anyway, I needed that tough love.

Quote:
Don't you know that every time you eat that junk it is another day of being fat?
Good one, Lori!

Bcort, Hang in there! You can do this!

PS - I think that I will get a piece of that cake and then go flush it. That cake needs to go!

Last edited by time2lose; 08-12-2009 at 11:07 AM.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:11 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Yes, that cake needs to go, probably is very stale now anyway, wont taste good at all!
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 PM   #14  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcort View Post
I ended up feeling pretty good today. Other than keeping cake out of the house (which I normally do), what should I do? I know I can't be the only one to do this to myself - I literally sabatoge myself & have consistently done it for years. I'm really an intelligent person, & don't have this issue in other areas - why is it so hard for me to START a good program & stick with it long enough so that I actually see results? Please advise!
hey, Beth, well, you got the behind kicking!

no, you're not the only one who does that to yourself, I do it sometimes, too, to a lesser dregree (now). I've been able to stick to the good habits and build on them well enough to lose the weight I have. I suppose that could be considered baby stepping it. Not that I wanted, or want to, do it that way, to be truthful with you. Maybe (hopefully soon!) I'll get to the Iron Clad committment point; I've been more like an iron gater

don't give up, is all I have to say. 3 lbs IS results, and you'll see more, you've already got yourself back in the saddle.

had to add one more thing: one great thing to keep in mind, that was posted recently, start with the next meal, the next snack, the next thing you eat, rather than the next day. that was a tip I thought was very mentally useful for me.

Last edited by dragonwoman64; 08-12-2009 at 01:13 PM.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 09:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 300/ticker/190

Height: 5'9"

Ouch - I could feel that! Thanks!
bcort is offline   Reply With Quote