Old 08-08-2009, 03:30 AM   #1  

Default Are you tired of dieting?

We have a tendency to rely on the so-called dieting experts, and God is the last place we go for diet advice. We pray and ask God for help in following the diet of the week, but why? if you think about it, God is the one who formed our bodies, and spoke the world into existence. Don’t you think it’s time we discover what the only true authority has to say about it?

Read Hebrews 13:8-9 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. 9 Do not be carried about with various and strange doctrines. For it is good that the heart be established by grace, not with foods which have not profited those who have been occupied with them

Do you remember each of these diets and their premise? Was it a counting calories, food exchanges, eating more fat, eating less fat, eating more carbohydrates or eating less? Was it eating a little or eating a lot? Or eating only certain foods at certain times of the day? Drinking a lot of water with your food, or don’t drink water with your food, eat all protein. No! That will make you sick and you could die, but he was a doctor!?

I have been on a ton of diets, starting out with so much hope, ending up hopeless, it was exhausting, each of those experts claimed to have the truth and the only truth. Most of them claiming the reason all the others had failed was because you were not counting calories or you needed food exchanges or you needed to eat more carbohydrates, or you’re eating too many carbohydrates and not enough fat, and so on and so on…

Hebrews 13:8-9 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. 9 Do not be carried about with various and strange doctrines. For it is good that the heart be established by grace, not with foods which have not profited those who have been occupied with them.

Doctrine simply means something that is taught. When I think about my dieting history, I feel like I was being carried away by strange doctrines!

Most of the diets I have been on were focused on food, This creates a strong love and desire for it because it’s the focal point. The Bible says, we do not profit by being occupied with foods, but it’s good for the heart to be established by grace. We need to be established by grace by focusing on God and His love and not what we can and cannot eat.

Kelli
Kelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:54 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

Kelli Hello! Well yes I am tired of it. My body has carried my soul around for 56 years and i feel I need to be good to it; for it is also I been told God's temple. I feel he has led me today where i am, Intuitive Eating, I do my Bible study and I just love this way of loosing weight for there is no stress in it. There is a thread on it here in 3 Fat Chicks wonderful thread and also another one I am learning from but don't know if I can put it on here or not. I am suppose to get my book this coming Wednesday or Thursday so I am excited about that. Check us out under General diet plans and questions, Intuitive Eating. Have a great weekend!
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:56 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

KELLI ~ yes, I totally understand where you are coming from on this; and so I agree. I got so fed up with "dieting" several years ago, that I tossed most of my books on the subject, and boy, did I spend a lot on them, trying to figure out what I was doing wrong (you see, I blamed me too). I listened to all these so-called experts, doctors, etc and was getting heavier and heavier every year.

I am finally re-learning to enjoy my life; and I am now very conscious about NOT OBSESSING over food. I also like the idea of INTUITIVE EATING, that BOOTSIE mentioned above and like my moniker says, I am trying to get healthier first, and the rest is an added bonus for me really.

Now I just want to feel better in my body, yet also enjoy life at the same time; and that includes enjoying good food. I am not interested in starving or denying myself anything. I guess my focus and goals are just different than others, that's all.

The change in my focus now is to eat and live healthy for the rest of my life becuz I know that is what GOD wants for me. I don't think that GOD wants us to be obsessing over food all the time; and I am positive he doesn't want us starving ourselves either (so I am not on a calorie-deficit diet).

Honestly, I am not even counting calories anymore: I am just choosing everything I eat based on portions (as in the food pyramid: simple, ez, and no obsessing). We still eat all our favorite foods and meals, but I just cleaned them up a bit (I made them all healthier and cut out the crap: junk foods).

I am now more aware; more knowledgeable; and wiser, I hope. I don't want to spend an inordinate amount of time on preparing or thinking about food. I want to enjoy food, but also enjoy the other parts of my life too. I too am trying to find a new balance in my life; and I spend only so much of my day on this now (I used to spend way more).

I also like the positive part of the Dr. BECK's strategies; her original book doesn't even have a diet in it. It is more about how to help us not use food to soothe ourselves when we are upset. It also uses positive reinforcement to encourage ourselves while living healthier; and I need more positive.

I am taking the best of what I've read and using what is helpful to me; and leaving the rest. I don't even weigh myself on a regular basis; I am more interested in how I feel in my skin, and my clothes. I am not worried about losing as set amount of weight in a set amount of time; I don't even think about that now.

I believe GOD wants us to be healthy, but focus on OUTWARD things first, and the rest will fall into place. "Do not worry about what you'll drink or eat, nor about your body ... " and "Seek ye first the kingdom of GOD and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." (Luke 12:22-31).

You know, many people originally came here to talk about dieting or losing weight and/or getting healthier, but some of us have stayed becuz we have also met people who have "like interests and common challenges", and I think it's wonderful that we can talk about much more that just food.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble on so ....

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 08-08-2009 at 10:07 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 230/228/145

Height: 5'6

Rosebud I bet God thinks I am the so hard headed ! Here I am 56 years old and just now I see that he has been telling me all along:"Do not worry about what you'll drink or eat, nor about your body ... " and "Seek ye first the kingdom of GOD and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you." (Luke 12:22-31). I have worried constantly for years since I was 11 years old about what I ate...and I should of been seeking first the kingdom of God and his righteousness and not once did He give up on me! That is true love! He never gives up on any of us! He truly loves us all!
Bootsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #5  

Hi Bootsie and Rosebud!

I have heard of intuitive eating before, but I don't really know about it. I assume it's about eating what you want??? That's so cool. That's what I have been doing. I just feel like God doesn't want me to be so involved with food, and dieting. I mean after all God did create our taste buds, why would He create us to like sweet and salty, and be so mean to say we can't eat it?

About ten years ago I decided to find out what the Bible had to say about dieting and our overly occupied fascination with the way we look, and you would not believe how much I found!

I have lost almost 50 pounds by praying. I am serious, when Satan tempts me to over eat, I say Jesus Satan is knocking will you please answer it.

I am glad to see I'm not the only one who is eating this way, I know God uses other methods for other people, but this is what He told me when I asked.

Love,
Kelli
Old 08-14-2009, 01:21 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli View Post
We have a tendency to rely on the so-called dieting experts, and God is the last place we go for diet advice. We pray and ask God for help in following the diet of the week, but why? if you think about it, God is the one who formed our bodies, and spoke the world into existence. Don’t you think it’s time we discover what the only true authority has to say about it?

Read Hebrews 13:8-9 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. 9 Do not be carried about with various and strange doctrines. For it is good that the heart be established by grace, not with foods which have not profited those who have been occupied with them

Do you remember each of these diets and their premise? Was it a counting calories, food exchanges, eating more fat, eating less fat, eating more carbohydrates or eating less? Was it eating a little or eating a lot? Or eating only certain foods at certain times of the day? Drinking a lot of water with your food, or don’t drink water with your food, eat all protein. No! That will make you sick and you could die, but he was a doctor!?

I have been on a ton of diets, starting out with so much hope, ending up hopeless, it was exhausting, each of those experts claimed to have the truth and the only truth. Most of them claiming the reason all the others had failed was because you were not counting calories or you needed food exchanges or you needed to eat more carbohydrates, or you’re eating too many carbohydrates and not enough fat, and so on and so on…

Hebrews 13:8-9 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever. 9 Do not be carried about with various and strange doctrines. For it is good that the heart be established by grace, not with foods which have not profited those who have been occupied with them.

Doctrine simply means something that is taught. When I think about my dieting history, I feel like I was being carried away by strange doctrines!

Most of the diets I have been on were focused on food, This creates a strong love and desire for it because it’s the focal point. The Bible says, we do not profit by being occupied with foods, but it’s good for the heart to be established by grace. We need to be established by grace by focusing on God and His love and not what we can and cannot eat.
Kelli
Kelli, thank you for your threads. It is like an answer to prayer. I printed out the 4 days Bible study to start adding it to my daily devotion and Bible study time.

I recently stopped dieting and went on Intuitive Eating. I took skills from the Beck diet and made them into Spiritual confessions concerning my eating. I just felt I couldn't diet any more as I felt that I was focusing too much on food. I also feel that there many more things going on in life that I need to be focusing prayer on rather than sitting planning foods for the day while counting calories or carbs, etc. I have been praying for God to reveal to me what I should be eating as no one not even I know my body as well as He Who created it in the first place. Looks like God was preparing me and leading me to this group. I honestly have felt or thought everything I have read of your materials to the point that I could have written it myself.
Looking forward to all you have to share with us that God has taught you.

Thanks again,
pattygirl63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:06 PM   #7  

Default Hard copy of Bible Study

Hi Trish, Thank you for your beautiful post. It was such an encouragement.

I'm not sure if it will work, but I am going to try to post an attachment for a hard copy of the study.

Hum, I tried to upload the study from my computer, but it says it exceeds the limit...

maybe if I try just one day per post... I will experiment with the next study... It will be so much better to print it that way!

Week1and2.doc

I hope that worked! I think it worked!

Love, Kelli
Old 08-15-2009, 01:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Quote:
READ: Mark 7: 18 –23 So He said to them, “Are you thus without understanding also? Do you not perceive that whatever enters a man from outside cannot defile him, 19 because it does not enter his heart but his stomach, and is eliminated, thus purifying all foods?” 20And He said, “What comes out of a man, that defiles a man. 21 For from within, out of the heart of men, proceed evil thoughts, adulteries, fornications, murders, 22 thefts, covetousness, wickedness, deceit, lewdness, an evil eye, blasphemy, pride, foolishness. 23 All these evil things come from within and defile a man.”

See, Jesus said in the above scripture, don’t focus on the food, focus on your spiritual health.
This is a scripture that has run through my mine a lot of late. There are so just so much conflicting info out there. It bring confusion into our lives and I don't think that Our loving Father wants us living in a spiritual state of confusion.

As I read this lesson, I realized that most of the time especially the last time when I lost almost 76 lbs that it was so easy to lose it because I spent so much time in the Word of God. I worked, took care of DH and his Mother, but I also took time to study and read the Word. Watched a lot of tv ministers as well. My faith was strong and I didn't have my mind on food all the time although I was dieting at the time.

Another thing I thought of as I studied this lesson is the fact that I would never go to the world to find out what God's Word says and means. So I wonder why I thought that I could go to them to learn how to lose weight. I'm not saying everybody out there are worldly because there are lot of Christians out there who doing there best. But the Bible says "darkness and light" do not mix. We can't take the ways of the world and mix them with godly ways and expect them to work. We as Christians must Focus on God's way of doing things if we want to succeed.

This lesson was a great eye opening lesson. Thanks again Kellie. You are a blessing.
pattygirl63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:28 AM   #9  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelli View Post
Hi Bootsie and Rosebud!

I have heard of intuitive eating before, but I don't really know about it. I assume it's about eating what you want??? That's so cool. That's what I have been doing. I just feel like God doesn't want me to be so involved with food, and dieting. I mean after all God did create our taste buds, why would He create us to like sweet and salty, and be so mean to say we can't eat it?

About ten years ago I decided to find out what the Bible had to say about dieting and our overly occupied fascination with the way we look, and you would not believe how much I found!

I have lost almost 50 pounds by praying. I am serious, when Satan tempts me to over eat, I say Jesus Satan is knocking will you please answer it.

I am glad to see I'm not the only one who is eating this way, I know God uses other methods for other people, but this is what He told me when I asked.

Love,
Kelli
you know i never really thought of it that way.. but it makes so much sence. The next tim ei feel myself becoming weak i will stop and pray because god is stronger than I and i know **** help be with my fight against the evil temptations.
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 08:17 AM   #10  

Hi Tiara,

I have written a daily devotional study and post it here. It's called Diet Bible Study. The study is not so much about dieting though, as it is about learning who we are in Jesus, and what I call "Jesusteem", Haha get it, not self esteem???

ANYWAYS!! I know the more you worry about what you eat the more you will weigh. Don't worry, just pray. Use the time you used to spend reading about what to eat and what not to eat, reading about what God has to say about it.

I have lost 50 pounds and I am now at a healthy weight AAAANNNNDDD the most wonderful thing of all is I am FREEEEEE of thinking about my weight, what I look like, or what I should or should not eat. WWWOOOOPPPPPIIII!!!!

Love, Kelli
Old 10-22-2009, 08:32 AM   #11  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Smile Kelli is so right!

It is so freeing to bring God glory in our eating and drinking rather than just "dieting" and "obsessing" and being overwrought with trying to do it the "world's way".
I have given it to God and then try my best to be led by Him daily. I'm not really all that great about it yet, but it is getting easier and Kelli sure seems to have a lot of revelation on it.
She is a real blessing.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:42 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 233.8/230/145

Height: 5'6"

Default Freeing!

I am trying to get there, not sure why it is so darn hard. I know I need to give it all up to God, and I am getting there one day at a time.

This board has been a real blessing for me..so thank you all!

Laura
llmckeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #13  

Hi Laura,

I ran across this scripture a few days ago, and it encouraged me so much

Psalm 27:13,14 I would have lost heart, unless I had believed
That I would see the goodness of the LORD
In the land of the living.

14 Wait on the LORD;
Be of good courage,
And He shall strengthen your heart;
Wait, I say, on the LORD!

It is such a blessing to know that God will strengthen our hearts in His time. Don't let Satan get you to beat yourself up.

Love, Kelli
Old 10-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #14  
McKinney, TX

S/C/G: 201/196/150

Height: 5'6"

Hi Kelli, I just ran across your thread today. I love what you wrote because YES, YES, YES, I'm tired of dieting but I'm also at my wits end with being overweight. Truthfully, I haven't been dieting for a while...just overeating and gaining weight. In desperation, I joined MRC (Metabolic Research Center) last week and I am trying to follow their plan. I hate it but, at least I have stopped the mindless eating and have lost a few pounds.

I have prayed so much about this and I feel so defeated in this area of my life. I am now wondering if I made a mistake by joining MRC and spending the money of this. It seemed right at the time and yes I prayed about it. Any words of wisdom?
fatnomo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:16 PM   #15  

Hi Fatnomo, (Love your handle)

Well as soon as I read your post a passage of Scripture came to my mind...

II Chronicles 25:5-9 Moreover Amaziah gathered Judah together and set over them captains of thousands and captains of hundreds, according to their fathers’ houses, throughout all Judah and Benjamin; and he numbered them from twenty years old and above, and found them to be three hundred thousand choice men, able to go to war, who could handle spear and shield. 6 He also hired one hundred thousand mighty men of valor from Israel for one hundred talents of silver. 7 But a man of God came to him, saying, “O king, do not let the army of Israel go with you, for the LORD is not with Israel—not with any of the children of Ephraim. 8 But if you go, be gone! Be strong in battle! Even so, God shall make you fall before the enemy; for God has power to help and to overthrow.”
9 Then Amaziah said to the man of God, “But what shall we do about the hundred talents which I have given to the troops of Israel?” And the man of God answered, “The LORD is able to give you much more than this.”

The more I study the Bible, the more God tells me He doesn't want us worrying about food. I have never found once in the Bible where it says we are supposed to spend so much time on the act of eating.

You should try the Diet Bible study I have posted here, It's FREE! And I just must tell you how wonderful it is to be free of all that's entailed with dieting, eating, not eating, counting, weighing... Ugg, even talking about it makes me feel confused again.

Even if you do get to your goal weight with MRC, you will still worry about what you are, and are not eating.

I think in the next few days I am going to start a discussion thread for people who are just starting the diet, and I would love to have you join us.

Love, Kelli