Old 08-05-2009, 01:38 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/ticker/140

Height: 5'4

Default atkins & meds

hello i was on atkins and i only lasted a few days due to being extremely sick/weak. i could barely move by the 4th day. i take synthroid, metformin and birth control daily (i have PCOS) -is there a way any of those could make taking such a drastic diet change harder? i read about some others (not on this forum, i googled) who have had issues with metformin and low carb diets...any suggestions or comments are appreciated ((i would like to start the diet again, and that is why im curious))
bitetoobreakkskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:00 AM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Hi

I'm sorry I can't help you with your question regarding your meds but what I would suggest is calling your doctor and making sure atkins is the right plan for you.

I do know that even with people that are not on meds, a few days into the diet can make you feel tired (detoxing), but then it usually passes and you start to feel better. It might be that all the processed junk is leaving your body.

Again... please call your doctor and ask him if he thinks atkins is right for you.

Good luck and let us know what he says.

Leenie

Last edited by Leenie; 08-06-2009 at 09:01 AM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Definitely call your doc. Metformin affects the way the insulin in your body handles carbs. You could be in trouble doing a very low carb when on the meds. I'm Type II diabetic and have been warned about this.

I just got the Atkins Diabetic Revolution and am going to thoroughly read it before I cut my carbs any more than I already have.

Once again, please call your doctor.
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #4  
~jus' being me~

Def check with your doc. I have friends who take Met and who have found that they need to increase their carb intake significantly higher than that allowed on Atkins as they get quite ill if doing a low carb diet. I had no prob with Met & a very low carb diet.

I am finding a low GI plan is helping with PCOS - have done low carb plans in the past and had no issues - but there are definitely different dietary plans that you can follow to help with the IR.

Check with your doc and make sure you are doing the right thing for your body

Last edited by Madison; 08-06-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 273/ticker/140

Height: 5'4

well my dr has told me to try the low carb diet, and so thats why i started it, she told me that once i lose enough weight i wont even need the metformin (im not sure why i need it now, all of my blood sugars/etc were normal levels when tested when i was first diagnosed.)..but i tried to call and didnt really get an answer, and i dont see her until october. so i dont know, we'll see. Leenie-i thought it could be the detox thing as well, but i dont really eat a whole lot of processed foods/flour/etc. i eat pretty much fresh things, wheat, brown rice, veggies, etc...i might just wait until i see my dr again because i got no help from the office when i called, and its been awhile and i tried calling again and still have not gotten a response..guess shes very busy its a big office and its an hr away from where im at..my husband said i should just hold off til i see her thanks for all the help!!

Last edited by bitetoobreakkskin; 08-06-2009 at 11:32 AM.
bitetoobreakkskin is offline   Reply With Quote