Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #1  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Default I'm feeling weaker rather than stronger...

I know this is crazy and hard to describe. I'm been doing weight training (weight machines) since Nov 08 with really good results. I do lots of cardio as well. But I've noticed in the last month or so that as I've gotten smaller that it is becoming harder and harder to lift the same amount of weight that I was able to lift previously at a higher weight. I've had to go down in weight by 5-10 lbs on a couple of machines, like the lat pull down. And I'm struggling with the overhead chest press. Is it possible that I'm not as strong because I'm smaller? Maybe I'm crazy?
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #2  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Sorry to hear that, losermom. Hmm, that is interesting and unfortunately, I don't know the answer to this. Hopefully somebody more experienced will know. Can you try eating some carbs to fuel yourself prior to the weightlifting session? I usually do that.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 11:47 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

Well, make sure you are getting protein in your diet first of all. Second, have you had any extra gaps in your workout routine? I've done weight training before and I know that even an extra day or two off can set you back. Losing weight shouldn't effect your strength, unless you're not eating enough.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #4  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

I could see how being lighter would affect the lat pulldown, because of the way it works...being lighter and smaller, it would just be harder to stay in the seat, lol. You might switch to pull-ups/chin-ups there. As far as strict pressing or free weights, though, you shouldn't be getting weaker. Like another poster said, taking any time off at all can set you back, even being off sick for a few workouts, but you should gain it right back after a week or so, for a short absence like that. If you've been doing the same old routine for a while now, try changing it up. Go heavier for fewer reps, and/or change out the exercises you're doing. If you've been all on the machines and cables, try some free weights. If you've been doing straight sets with the same weight every set, start adding weight each set and decreasing reps, or otherwise just change it up. Your muscles need some "shock and awe" every six weeks or so, at the outside, to keep them growing and getting stronger.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:12 PM   #5  
I'm listening...

S/C/G: HW248;Current 198/135-139/140

Height: 5'6"

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and suggestions! At the time of my original post, I was about 1 week back after a 2 week vacation. I was able to do "some" weight training at my DD's apartment fitness center, albeit limited. But I guess I was surprised at how much strength I lost in just 2 weeks. My strength seems to be coming back slowly now.

Cheryl, I do use the assisted pull-up machine and really like it. But I also enjoy the lat pulldown. I just didn't like how it seemed to jerk as I released the bar up so I went down in weight (and yes, I did have a hard time staying in my seat) and that seems to be working better for me.
losermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:34 PM   #6  
Goddess of my universe

S/C/G: 221/see ticker/128

Height: 5' 7"

You might need to pay more attention to your diet. The strength gains should not go away because you lose weight. That would be counter-productive.
borntobefine is offline   Reply With Quote