South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/---/123

Height: 5'2"

Question ? Skipping Phase 1

Have any of you started by skipping phase 1 and starting with phase 2?

I have the book and realize phase 1 is about ridding yourself of cravings which is great...but I'm starting a rather streneous exercise program (bootcamp) and I'm on a med that washes out my potassium and magnesium. I take mag supplements to restore the mag, but I get my potassium from my fav...bananas.

I know the SB police won't arrest me for starting with phase 2. I'm interested in how many skipped p1.

I just want to find a healthy plan that consists of whole foods without the fake sugars. I was torn between SB, WW and Sonoma. I've pretty much eliminated WW. Sonoma and SB are very similar though.

What do you beachers think?
sewwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:09 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

While it is strongly recommended to start South Beach Diet with Phase 1, if you feel you can follow the plan successfully without fighting nagging sugar cravings, it's fine to jump ahead to Phase 2. I do know Phase 1 is not recommended for people who are pregnant or nursing as well as those who have other health issues.

Good luck to you, sewright, and we hope to see you around here often!

Last edited by cottagebythesea; 07-25-2009 at 08:52 PM.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:33 PM   #3  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Sewwrite and

Have you considered a Phase 1.5? If you have been eating refined sugar and white flour, 1.5 would keep your bananas , but still eliminate all other sugars and flours for 2 weeks. I have to say I had a banana in my breakfast drink for the first week of Ph 1 then switched to a sm. apple.

P1 really did eliminate 99.9% of my cravings for carbs and sugar. I'm on week 12 total, am using good judgement and am steadily losing weight although I had a bit of a lull during weeks 3-5. I have to honestly say I've never felt better. I don't cheat-allowed foods are so flexible I don't crave so I just stay OP.

I dieted on my own for years....eating healthier but never commiting to a "plan." I am really into healthy, organic eating and don't use artificial sweeteners. I replace sugar in all my recipes with agave nectar. It's much better than honey with regards to it's glycemic load.

When I realized I needed a "plan" for weight loss I came to 3FC, browsed for a day and hopped on the SB bus. I need and am flourishing with a solid daily support group. I have connected with really great "beachers."

PM me if you want to.

Best wishes!
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 186/---/123

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for your input. I'm strongly leaning towards SB and just skipping the bootcamp workouts this time around. I have PCOS (which entails high bp/high cholesterol) and have had two doctors recommend this program to me.
sewwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:09 PM   #5  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Sewwrite, my personal belief is that without doing Phase 1, doing South Beach is not going to help you with weight loss. It might help you eat healthier, but it's not going to help you lose pounds. Without Phase 1, you'll have cravings and be eating just as many calories as you are on another diet (including the "eat everything you want" one that many of us have tried over the years...).

You can take potassium supplements or get your potassium from vegetables. Or you could reduce your exercise for a week while doing Phase 1. It only takes a week to get the sugar out of your system, so there's no reason that you have to do the two weeks if it's too much with the exercise.

Your call, but if you're looking for something to help you with weightloss, I'd go with a different plan if you're thinking of skipping Phase 1.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #6  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxiss View Post

Have you considered a Phase 1.5? If you have been eating refined sugar and white flour, 1.5 would keep your bananas , but still eliminate all other sugars and flours for 2 weeks. I have to say I had a banana in my breakfast drink for the first week of Ph 1 then switched to a sm. apple.
I'm just starting SB, and have been reading through old posts and found this one -- only a week old! I hadn't heard of Phase 1.5 -- eliminating refined sugar and white flour (which is something we do for all phases on SB, right?) I have similar concerns to seesaw's -- although not because of exercising. I had a bad bout of heart palpitations, and my doctor (who has, well, mentioned my weight a time or two before...) suggested SB, but wanted me to include fruit for potassium -- the banana effect, as you noted. (He does not like supplements other than a daily multi).I should say I also have a history of a few experiments with low carb diets in the past and all three times lost a lot of weight very quickly -- diuretic effect -- and that could be dangerous in my situation. I also have to cut out caffeine, at least for a few weeks.

I've been on SB only since Saturday, and have lost nearly 5 pounds in those 2 days. I'm eating either two fruits (a banana at breakfast and a nectarine at lunch) or the banana with a half whole grain English muffin. I haven't had any cravings at all. This morning, I had all bran for breakfast and was hungry within an hour, so I ditched the box and it's back to bacon and eggs tomorrow -- and I'm back to the two fruits and, at most, one whole grain at lunch -- but the fruit has been fine -- for ME. I know everyone is different, has different metabolisms and different sensitivities.

Seewrite, I wonder what you decided, and how it's working for you?

Last edited by Xan; 08-03-2009 at 04:34 PM.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #7  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Xan, one thing you might consider is vegetables with potassium. I haven't looked, but there could be some that are just as high or higher than bananas. I know I have read that there is a fruit that has more potassium than bananas. Either way, if you do eat bananas, make sure you keep it to a medium or smaller.
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:07 AM   #8  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

An 8 ounce glass of low sodium v-8 has about twice as much potasium as a banana...AND phase one friendly. Plus you get all the rest of the good stuff it has to offer.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:17 AM   #9  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

Thanks for the posts, but the banana hasn't thrown me off Cat, you're right, but I HATE tomato juice or V8. I cannot get it down. This is working for me, thanks.

One other thing my doctor was worried about was that I would lose too much weight too fast, as I have in the past on low carb diets (and, in fact, I lost 5 pounds in the first two days. Didn't weigh this morning.) That's why he put me on the Phase 1.5.

Last edited by Xan; 08-05-2009 at 11:18 AM.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:56 AM   #10  
PRINCESS WITH A PLAN

Height: 5'5

well for me honestly phase 1 is where i lost the most of my weight.. you really cant do a diet half way and expect to have results . my advise bite the bullet and do phase 1 you will be happy you did.
TIARA is offline   Reply With Quote