South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 07-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/170

Height: 5'8

Default Don't touch my food ! (bit of a vent)

First of all, my hubby has been home all week (driving me nuts, I might add !). I am totally not used to him being home this much, and bc of that, have my own routines, etc., so this is not helping.

My situation is this ..

He keeps getting into "my" food. I don't mean a couple bites or a few pcs of this or that, but serious eating. He eats a lot, and of course never gains weight. I really got annoyed and snapped at him because I went to have one of my turkey bites (I call them my saviour food ! lol) and there was none left.

Meanwhile, there is 3/4 bag of gardetto's snack mix, almost a full bag of munchies snack mix, cookies, and all kinds of stuff he could make to eat, but NO, he wants to eat my stuff.

I explained to him that I can't have that garbage, I can't make a peanut butter and jam sandwich, I can't eat 4 breads toasted with honey, but he can. I need the foods I am allowed to be there ready for me so that I'm not getting frustrated and eating something I shouldn't. I am determined to succeed this time, and that is why I have not been tempted by that stuff, but darnit, leave my turkey bites alone !

Am I being silly about this whole thing? Is it just another stupid obsession with food? For those of you that have other people in your home like spouses, partners, and kids, how do you handle this?

Sorry for the vent !
ruby2sday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:15 PM   #2  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

In my home we ditched all the junk food. If it's not good for me to have, in order for me to be healthy, it's not very good for my partner to have either. Processed sugary foods just don't have a place in our home anymore We cut up lots of veggies and healthy snacks to have available for -either- of us to snack on or to offer to friends and visitors when they stop by
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #3  

lucky you Eskinomad !

I would be quite content to not have that bad stuff around at all. Also because I would like to see him eat healthier too.

I thought it was fair enough that if he really wanted to buy that junk, then at least eat it instead of my good stuff lol
Old 07-24-2009, 04:34 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 291.4/306/150

Height: 5'7

I don't think you're being silly at all. As difficult as it is to diet/eat healthy around someone else who isn't...being out of "good" food is just another road block. I feel for you!
Libra81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 280.0/205.8/100.0

Height: 5'2"

Perhaps you can stock up on extra healthy food when he's around? He'd be better off eating your food than to eat junk. But yea, that'd drive me nuts too to have somebody eating my planned foods and not replacing them before they were gone.
CamiToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #6  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

I had a bit of a problem with this (not too much, cause luckily my husband and son weren't crazy about my snacks!) I had a basket that I put my stuff in and pointed it out and told them hands off! BUT occasionally my son would have friends over and my kids' friends know they can just get whatever they want without asking...I had to laugh and point out the basket and told them they would lose fingers if they touched my stash!

Next time hubs goes out of town, throw all that cr@p out and just keep healthy stuff around, then ya'll can share with no problems.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:38 PM   #7  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Make him sleep on the couch!
Ruthxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:51 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 280.0/205.8/100.0

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthxxx View Post
Make him sleep on the couch!
Oh geez no! That'd put him closer to her food at night! Better to make him sleep in the bedroom so she can keep track of him! hehe
CamiToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 05:59 PM   #9  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I have the same problems with some of my food - cheesesticks, SF pudding, etc. But most of the time my kids think my food is weird and they say they won't touch it with a ten foot pole (beans, kale, Greek yogurt, almond butter). You can't really criticize him for eating the healthy stuff vs. the junk food. It is better for him. Maybe if he just asks you first, so you can plan on having enough for yourself when you need it.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #10  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I ran into this problem with my refried beans and now the veggies at dinner. I'd so rather DP ate the way I do so I'm buying less of the bad stuff and just making more of the good stuff (1.5 lbs of dried beans each week just for refried beans!).
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #11  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby2sday View Post
Sorry for the vent !
Don't be sorry about the vent!!! That's what we're here for! If your house is like my house, trying to make him stay out isn't going to work.

My DH is a buff, and normal weight food junkie. He has tons of snacks but Murphy's Law says that he will eat what I don't want him to eat.

I try to accomodate some of the healthy things he's going for like the chicken, or ff pudding. I am trying to replace the total junk (doritos) with something healthier (Barbaras Baked Cheese Puffs) ONLY because I am committed and totally temptation free at this point. I wouldn't be really thrilled if I thought I was going to get up in the middle of the night and eat the whole bag.

My important and expensive foods like Ezekial Whole Grain Cold Cereal ($4.95/box)which he can eat in one sitting, FFSF Fudgesicles, etc are HIDDEN WELL. He will not find them. I always have several FF puddings hidden in the frig and an extra pack of turkey in the freezer. In our house, it's part of my "planning ahead".

Vent here all you want because if you discuss things like we sometimes do, it may be more tempting to eat bad stuff.
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:28 PM   #12  

i wanna know what turkey bites are! they sound tempting
*totally understands your rant thou* id be irked too
anuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:26 PM   #13  

Oh! I know the feeling. Last week, while I was on Phase 1, my oldest son ate all of my fiber something or other cereal. I was planning to use that during Phase 2. There were tons of other cereal in the house but he decided he liked the taste of mine. Once that was all gone, he went back to the "other stuff", leaving me with nada.

We pretty much share the foods but there are some things where I have to break out the good old Sharpie and tag my name on various items. My kids are used to the SB way and enjoy it. Our pantry has more SB legal stuff than junk food anyway.

Good luck with your DH. Before you know it, he'll be eating the SB way as well!
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:07 PM   #14  

Thanks all for letting me know this is kind of normal, and I'm not alone

You all made me laugh lots.

Maybe I could put little mousetraps around hehe

anuh .. turkey bites are from Piller's. Not sure if you all have them in the U.S., but I'm sure you must, because normally, it's us in Canada that doesn't have what you guys have They're little smoked turkey sausages. They kind of look like little pepperette/pepperoni sticks. They're a bit smoked and seasoned and they taste soooo good. Nice to just grab from the package and snack on when you need something quick. They have 50 cals and only 3 grams of fat. I call them my "saviour food" because I've had a few times when I've let myself get too hungry and could easily grab the wrong thing, and I'll just grab one of those and then I'm good.

Check them out if you have them
Old 07-25-2009, 12:11 AM   #15  
Beach Babe in Training

S/C/G: 185.8/180.2/145

Height: 5' 9"

That is exactly what happened at my house too!! DH decided he needed V8 juice, SF fudgsicles, hard-boiled eggs and my almonds!!

I got mad at first, then I was glad he was trying to eat healthier as well. So I just went shopping again and stocked up with more healthy choices for him (and the kids). If this is really going to work, the whole family needs to be a part of it, IMO.
CindieJo is offline   Reply With Quote