Old 07-24-2009, 02:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 259/ticker/140

Height: 5'5"

Default Cook book suggestions for a unskilled cook

Hello all! Forgive me if this question has been asked already, but I searched and couldn't find any posts similar to my question...

Anyway, I'm a calorie counter who isn't all that great a cook. I'm a bit on the cautious side when it comes to trying new things and I tend to eat the same thing over and over.

As you can imagine, it's getting b o r i n g !!!

I was wondering if anyone has any favorite cook books (magazines or websites would work too) they can recommend? I'd love for the recipes to be somewhat on the easy side--easy to prepare and easy to find ingredients. Lastly, I'm trying to eat more 'natural' foods, ie: cutting way back on the artificial sweeteners and fat free stuff and sticking with less processed foods.

Thanks so much in advance for any recommendations/suggestions!
iDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:39 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 175/ticker/125

Height: 5'2

Hi Sandye! I have the Better Homes and Gardens New CookBook. It's really great, has tons of recipes and is easy to read. I think they may even give calorie amounts but I'm not totally sure. It also has tips about cooking certain foods, it's only $20 at Walmart and totally worth it.
Kyla0709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: maintaining

Height: 5' 8"

I swear by allrecipes.com, which lets you search recipes by ingredients.
gt26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:33 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 347/319/199

Height: 5'11''

This isn't a recipe site, but I use it when trying to calculate calories in recipes I find else where on the internet. I love using it to modify ingredients and see how it affects the nutrional values.

hmm.... apparently I can't post links yet because I mainly lurk and don't have enough posts. I'll have to edit the link somewhat. Sorry!

caloriecount(dot)about(dot)com/cc/recipe_analysis(dot)php

Ang
wrueangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:10 PM   #5  

Oh thanks for the suggestions girls!!
Kyla~ I may just have that cookbook--I'll have to check! Thanks for the reminder!
gt26~ I love allrecipes, it's just that sometimes I don't have time to peruse the site all that much. However, I haven't done a search by ingredients--I'll have to try that! Thanks for the tip!
wrueangel~ thanks for the link! I'll have to check it out!!

I Googled and found Low Fat Cooking for Dummies It sounds right up my alley! Perhaps I'll have to hit a local bookstore and check it out.

Thanks again for the suggestions girls! I'd love to hear more if anyone else has any to throw at me!
Old 07-24-2009, 10:54 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Are you cooking just for you? The 15-Minute Single Gourmet was invaluable when I was learning to cook (and I knew *nothing*). Easy, easy recipes, generally whole foods, helps you learn cooking and foods. And obviously, the recipes are for a single serving (except ones that keep especially well, like soups, that are 2-serving recipes). The author is Paulette Mitchell.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #7  
One day at a time...

S/C/G: 226/ticker/175

Height: 5'6"

search hungry girl's blog for recipes. she's got tons and tons of fantastic stuff she's made lower fat/cal.
Shrinking Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #8  
Woman On A Mission

S/C/G: 160/Ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

I really don't use cookbooks but I find great recipes online. I visit http://www.fitnessmagazine.com everyday for ideas on exercise, lifestyle and of course food!!!
Jacque9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #9  

Julie~ Thank you so much! I'm trying not to cook for just me, but that's how it turns out most of the time--I make one thing for the rest of my family and then something for me. I have recently informed them all that they will be eating what I eat from now on. I'm tired of being a short order cook. Even though the book you recommended is geared more towards single servings--it shouldn't be hard to double, triple and so on, each recipe. Thanks so much!

Shrinking Girl~ I'll have to check HG out! I have her 200 Under 200, but as you can imagine there aren't a lot of entrees in there. I'll head over there tonight after the kiddos are in bed! Thank for the advice!

Jacque~ Hey you! Thanks for the suggestion, I've never been over there. I'll be checking it out tonight too!!

Thank you ladies for all of you suggestion and input!! I really appreciate it!
Old 07-26-2009, 01:21 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

CookingLight.com.
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 09:21 AM   #11  

Height: 5'6"

eatingwell.com
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote