Old 07-24-2009, 06:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

Default Question about ketone test strips.

I've been using the ReliOn ketone test strips since I started Atkins to test for ketosis and my question is, where do I want my ketone level to be on the Atkins diet? My reading is usally "small" to "moderate", should it be higher or is that where I want my ketone level to be?

Thanks in advance,
Lyna
AngelicLyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:02 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I lost over 100 lbs on Atkins and the ketostix never changed color so, I may not be the ideal person to answer your question
There are a lot of factors that affect the strips....how much water you drink, how much fat you're eating etc.
I personally wouldn't be too concerned about the level they are showing as long as you are losing weight and obviously you are! Good job! Keep up the good work!
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 07:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 156/150/130

Height: 5'4

Too many ketones can put you into ketoacidosis, which can be deadly. While this is usually seen with diabetics, I would be careful and ask your doctor what your level should be. I would guess (and it's only a guess) that anything higher than moderate is or can be dangerous.

Jenny
winning the war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:07 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 235 / 189 / 165

I do test from time to time, and depending on my hydration levels it may or not be positive. From what I've read on other low carb sites anything other than 'negative' indicates you're in ketosis, so the darker/lighter color doesnt matter (as Kim points out it can vary due to a lot of factors).

Ketosis in low carb is NOT the same thing as ketoacidosis, but if your test strips did ever come back extremely dark that would be worrying - usually in low carb the are lightly to moderately positive.
sarahinparis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 11:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 230/ticker/180

My strips are always pink or purple, but I haven't lost since week 1. I don't know why I continue to test, lol, it clearly doesn't represent my progress.
pferde01 is offline   Reply With Quote