Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 07-23-2009, 10:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 193/169/145

Height: 5'6"

Question Help! Too much exercise= starvin' marvin??

I have recently kicked up my exercise routine: I had been walking (with short bursts of running) for 30-60 minutes, 4-5 days a week. I now walk/run 6-7 days a week, sometimes twice a day, for 45-90 mins (2-5 miles). I have also increased the running to walking ratio... before I'd walk more than run, now I run more than walk.

I'm wondering if this is too much exercise? On the most strenuous days, I take 2 walks, or 5 miles total. Are my muscles able to recover between workouts? Also, I am hungry ALL THE TIME! I'll eat a moderately filling meal, and turn around and feel hungry again. My calorie intake has gone up 200-500 cals/day.

Your feedback would be much appreciated. Is it better to exercise more and increase calorie intake in response to constant hunger, OR decrease exercise and feel more satisfied after eating? Thanks!

Last edited by kellygram; 07-23-2009 at 10:17 AM.
kellygram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:52 PM   #2  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

You'll get different answers one. There are lots of runners who run the same as you do, but they are usually on some training program.

Normally I like to space my runs out to every other day which helps the body to recover better. If you haven't been running that long near daily might be too much for your body. You can adjust up to those levels though, so the answer if that is too much can go either way depending on your situation.

I'm sure some of the more experienced runners might have more to say on this.

Hunger... what are you eating after your workout? Anything for recovery? Lots of people are more hungry with heavy workouts like that... making sure your fueling during and after exercise helps a bit.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I might get conflicting opinions on this, but...

No, it isn't too much exercise (actually, it seems about average for an active person), but you need the proper amount of fuel for it. There's no need to worry about muscle recovery if you are running/walking 2-5 miles. That isn't an outrageous amount of exercise at all. If you were doing a couple hours of hiking or doing strength training, then you would need to look into muscle recovery.

How many calories a day are you eating?
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 01:11 PM   #4  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

how many calories ARE you getting?? and what types of food??
You said somedays you do more than others?? Are they pretty staggerred and regular? like everyother day you do the extra workout? if that is the case, then you are prob ok, recovery wise....its a good idea to have easier days mixed in between the harder days, and obviously on the harder days, you might need to up your calories, but again, it depends on what, and how mch, you are currently eating......more info please
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:12 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 193/169/145

Height: 5'6"

Hi again & thanks for all your input. I am trying to stay around 1500 calories. If I have a higher calorie day (1,800), I try to balance it with fewer cals the next day (1,200) as an example. It's a real struggle lately to stay below 1800, since I upped my exercise.

Typically I walk/run in the morning 3 miles. In the evening walk/run 2 miles.
4 or 5 days a week I walk 2x a day. 2 or 3 days just one walk per day. Sometimes I'll take one day off.
kellygram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:25 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 337.4/322/155

Height: 5'8

If you exercise more then you have room to eat more. Just make sure you're extra calories don't exceed what you burned in the workout! Try filling up on more low cal foods like veggies. I eat more when I work out too. I just make sure the things I'm eating more of won't hurt me. Also, try doing some weight training; it burns calories without leaving you quite as hungry as cardio.

Last edited by Aclai4067; 07-23-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Aclai4067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:27 AM   #7  
lost in translation

S/C/G: 150/150/125

Height: 5'4

I agree with everyone who says that your exercise is not excessive, but that maybe you could eat more if you are constantly hungry. I know plenty of people who walk 2-3 miles 2-3 times a day as part of their daily commutes to and from work and classes and suffer to ill effects from it!
mariarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Unprocessed foods fit the bill when you're working out...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:29 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

Another thing you might need to do when you increase your exercise a lot is to sleep more. That is, if you feel like you're waking up tired. Try it out!
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 12:53 PM   #10  

S/C/G: Upper 170s/*ticker*/130

Height: 5'5"

It isn't too much exercise, but it may be too much of the same type of exercise. Yes, cardio is cardio and with weight loss, ultimately it does not matter which muscles you work (as long as you are burning enough calories.)

But it might be good for you to look into cross-training, for example, swimming or biking 2-3 times a week every other day. If you run/walk one day, you burn calories and work your legs and lower back. The next day, swim, you burn more calories (calories burned while swimming are crazy) and work your shoulders and core. Your muscles and joints get rest, so you are much less likely to burn out or get an injury.

Once you get to your goal, it is probably fine to switch exclusively to running. Since we're heavier, though, there is more of a strain on our knees, etc, and running may not be the healthiest thing to do all the time.
kasmel is offline   Reply With Quote