Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 07-20-2009, 08:17 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default Dried zucchini

OMG.

My CSA has started the zucchini explosion and since I dont like the rubberyness of frozen zukes I dried some. Crack. I think I ate about 2 large zukes worth of dried today. But thats like what, 90 calories? 8 grams of fiber. Drank a bunch of water with it and I think they reconstituted in my tummy. pretty filling.

Definitely a nice replacement for nibbly snacks and also good on salad, very flavorfull. I think it would also be good as a base for hummus or laughing cow.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 08:19 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Sounds neat. Did you use a dehydrator?
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 198/ticker/148?

Height: 5'3"

I bought some celery to try to incorporate into my food plan, it didn't work, I just don't care for celery. BUT I did dehydrate it, thinking I could add it to soup and stuff. The jar is sitting on my counter and I have munched on the celery chips.

Tasty, good crunch, good stuff!
roundpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #4  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I love zucchini chips! I make 1/2 my winter stash with dill & onion and the other half with basil & garlic. Cucumbers work great too.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #5  

Anyone have directions on how to make them? Just cut up and put in dehydrator? Do you add salt or seasoning?
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I slice the zucchini thinly. If I'm using a super-zuch (melon sized), I remove the seeds and then slice. Then I put the slices in a large bowl of cold water with a couple tablespoons of salt dissolved in it and allow them to sit for about 20 minutes before putting them on the dehydrator trays (or I don't add salt to the water, and just sprinkle salt on after I have them on the dehydrator trays).

I only use them as snack chips. When I've tried to add them to soups, the texture is weird, soggy and a bit slippery.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-20-2009 at 09:42 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:40 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 198/ticker/148?

Height: 5'3"

Thanks kaplods,

I'll have to try that, I love me some crunch!
roundpeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:42 PM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I did salt them lightly I did not presoak. I do use a dehydrator. I liked them crumbled on my salad. Dill sounds good, I think I have some
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:49 PM   #9  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

They're best (crispiest) the day they're dehyrdated (unless maybe you live in a dry climate.), so I generally don't dry huge batches at a time. After a few days, they get a bit chewier than crispy.

Even at their crispiest, the first bite is crispy like a chip, but as you chew it does start to soften into a chewy finish. I can't think of anything to compare it to, it's unique to zucchini (and maybe other dehydrated not fried veggie chips). When I made them for the first time (I was a teenager, using my parents Ronco dehydrator without a fan), I wasn't sure I liked that chewiness, but it grew on me. It definitely satisfied chip cravings.

Last edited by kaplods; 07-21-2009 at 01:22 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #10  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I don't presoak, just slice, sprinkle (conservatively!) and dry. I have a vacuum sealer so I make enough for the whole winter. Without that though they are moisture magnets as Kaplods said.

I also dry shredded zucchini and eggplant chunks to mix into stews and soups in the winter. Both just disintegrate into the food but add nutrients and bulk.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:13 PM   #11  

wow that is a good idea!! I was just asking my dad if you could freeze them, cuz i do alot of canning, but I was thinking they would come out sogging if you froze them (he said they did). But that is a good idea, other than the normal making relish out of them.
anuh is offline   Reply With Quote