Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #1  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Default comfort food when you are sick

I admit it...all bets are off when I am sick. I've got the raging sore throat that demands cream of rice with honey and butter for breakfast (normally I am very high protein breakfast) and honey in my herbal tea.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

You poor sweetie. I recommend some yummy chicken broth with garlic seasoning. The salt and garlic will combat the sore throat. As well as the honey in your herbal.

I hope you get to feeling better. Also gargle warm salt water--that helps too.

careful with creamy foods, because extra mucus might irritate you some more!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:23 PM   #3  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

Hang in there, I hope you feel better soon!
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:40 PM   #4  

Get well soon! I, too, like chicken broth when I'm sick. Hope you feel better soon!
TexasLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:43 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
careful with creamy foods, because extra mucus might irritate you some more!
This is actually an urban legend...if creamy foods make you feel better, don't worry even a little about eating them! Feel better soon, hon!
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:25 PM   #6  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

hope you are feeling better soon! Take care of yourself.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:06 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

must be just me then, because I feel like i'm choking on snot when I drink milk with a cold. I never touch it when I'm sick.

I definitely agree with the chicken soup! Are you better yet? I hope so. Have a good night!
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:11 AM   #8  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
This is actually an urban legend...if creamy foods make you feel better, don't worry even a little about eating them! Feel better soon, hon!
Well, besides the fact of course that cream of rice has no actual dairy product in it. Except the butter, which even if dairy produces mucus, I would guess it is a sensitivity to milk protein, not butterfat. Regardless, mucus has never been a problem for me and sorethroats, only sugar.

I ate crap today. It was actually kind of worth it. There is a chinese restaurant that I have been wanting to try for a long time because it is in a crap location so the fact that it has been around for 15 + years must mean it is good, right? Wrong. So I ate crap on a day I was really sick which I never beat myself up about. It's not like I could chew veggies anyway. And I rid myself of any desire to ever eat at that restaurant again. win-win.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:17 AM   #9  
~jus' being me~

What is cream of rice?
Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:15 AM   #10  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Cream of rice, cream of wheat - its hot rice or wheat cereal. Very finely ground so that it cooks quickly into a smooth porridge. Like baby cereal but not that instant, a bit coarser, but much smoother than oatmeal. Cream of rice is good sick food because it is very very easy to digest. Which makes it not great for a diet because it is quickly absorbed and has no fat (except for the butter I add), little fiber and not much protein
Old 07-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #11  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

So are you guys saying it's okay to fall off the wagon every time you get sick? Hooray. I feel a cold coming on...and my back aches a little, and seasonal allergies are irritating my eyes and nose. Bring on the Chinese buffet....I'M SICK! Yippee.

PS: To all you chicks who are prone to binge and struggle every day with a reason not to, being sick is not a licence to pig out...just like being sad, depressed, tired, etc. is not a reason to pig out. Okay?
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #12  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
being sick is not a licence to pig out...just like being sad, depressed, tired, etc. is not a reason to pig out. Okay?
Lori Bell is absolutely right! That said, it makes sense to take care of yourself when you are sick. So, you increase the GOOD foods your body needs... lowfat chicken soup is a good idea! At the same time, you don't push your exercise.

I've read too many posts from members who are really ill but insist on doing an hour on the treadmill and restricting themselves to 1200 calories. Then they wonder why they aren't getting better. Duh!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #13  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Bell View Post
So are you guys saying it's okay to fall off the wagon every time you get sick? Hooray. I feel a cold coming on...and my back aches a little, and seasonal allergies are irritating my eyes and nose. Bring on the Chinese buffet....I'M SICK! Yippee.

PS: To all you chicks who are prone to binge and struggle every day with a reason not to, being sick is not a licence to pig out...just like being sad, depressed, tired, etc. is not a reason to pig out. Okay?
Let me see total calories yesterday was slightly higher than loss level probably right at maintenance range. Thanks for the lecture.

MTA: and for what it is worth LOWFAT chicken soup (and since I was too sick to cook yesterday it would have had to be canned crap so no better than anything else I ate) is a major binge trigger for me.

Last edited by ennay; 07-18-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:10 PM   #14  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Well then, go for the full-fat chicken soup!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #15  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Or maybe I could skip chicken soup entirely.