Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-16-2009, 02:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 145 / 102 / ?

Height: 5'

Default Just One Bite

It's something new I'm trying. On special occasions, when off-plan sweets are offered, and it's awkward to refuse, I'll have one bite. I've done it twice, and so far, OK. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't enough to set me off
Before, I was so afraid of trigger foods, I would even dream about binging. But the thought of never having cake, or pie, or whatever, ever again was also kind of depressing. It actually feels kind of liberating--being able to join in, and after the first bite, no one notices if you don't eat more.
I've noticed thin people have no problem ordering a dessert and splitting it four ways--with one or two spoonfuls each.
Hopefully I'm not kidding myself, or playing with fire--like an alcoholic, telling themselves, "Just one sip."
HungryHungryHippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #2  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Only time will tell! Good luck!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:07 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I do this. It has worked for me. I work the bites into my plan. But I am not someone who has problems with moderation, if I plan for it, most of the time. So only you can figure out if, for you, it's going to work.

It can be a viable way to approach typically off-plan foods, if you don't find it triggers overeating.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:08 PM   #4  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

If you can do this, you have my envy! I think it would be great if this was something you could maintain. Jay is right ... time will tell.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #5  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I hope it works for you. I personally can't do it. One bite of cake turns into a binge...if not that day, soon after.

I'm going to ramble on now, just because I like to ramble....

In my past quit smoking ventures one puff ALWAYS triggered full fledged smoking. My latest non-smoking spree has lasted 17 months, almost a record for me...(longest was 18 months a few years back) I now know that I can NEVER, EVER let a cigarette touch my lips. It was depressing at first, but not any more. I also know that even the thimble full of wine at communion makes me intensely CRAVE an entire bottle, so I have opted for grape juice. When I realized I could not drink in moderation, it was depressing, but not anymore. I have heard the song and dance about how you don't need cigarettes to live, and how you don't need alcohol to live, but you need food to live. (Heck I used that excuse for years) But in all honesty, I have never met a person who needed cake or pie or ice cream to live...LOL Sugar was my first true love...and the hardest to give up.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:30 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 217 /*/140

Height: 5'5"

i also use the "just one bite" but I lost a bunch of weight down to my ideal without eating sweets at all. I went nuts after 2 years and ate crap food for a month.

Now, If I want a cookie. I get one, and I break into halves or thirds and share. I share all my dessert foods. It feels really good. And i know I'm getting less calories.

every hear of "chocolate thunder down under" I had a really cool bible teacher that would order one and he would split it with everyone at the table. I had no issue with this. We all got our own spoons and it was delicious. Since it was split 5 ways none of us got too many calories.
jendiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 165/158/135

Height: 5'7"

Power to you sister! I can't do just one bite because it always lead to a 1000 more bites. For me, the one bite concept has lead me to lose the same 5 pounds over and over again. But you're right, the thought of never eating sweets again is crazy. I need sweets to keep sane. For me I can only eat them when I plan it with a controlled amount of calories.
chicky viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:50 PM   #8  

Height: 4'11"

This method has worked for me too. Like others mentioned, sharing is the best way to do it! I always tell my dad to just get desserts/ice cream when we eat out (since he is very fit w/ a high metabolism and always hungry, haha) and let me have 1 or 2 bites. That way, I don’t need to order my own and I can just taste it.

Luckily, this type of eating does not trigger me to binge, but for many people it does. So proceed with caution! If you end up getting yourself a treat and feel the need to inhale the entire thing, force yourself to throw the rest out or give it away to someone else – it’s better than ingesting the extra calories.

When you cut out the sugary and fatty foods, it also makes you want to spend your calories more wisely. I would now rather share a slice of really good, homemade chocolate cake with a few other people than have my own piece which came from the grocery store, or anything else that’s not that great.

Last edited by littlelion; 07-16-2009 at 03:52 PM.
littlelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #9  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Your path, your choice, your success!!!
Let us know how it works! Cause it has really worked well for lot of others!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:59 PM   #10  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Put me in the camp of NOT ONE BITE. I laughed out loud every time I would run across one of those hints for calming a craving by having just a little. This forum has shown me there are real people that works for, but I am not one of them.

However to keep myself from getting depressed about never eating candy again (my particular trigger food), I have promised myself I can eat all the candy I want once I get to my 80th birthday (which will be in 2040). So far that has worked for me. No candy since April 2005.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:31 PM   #11  
Shrinking chickie

S/C/G: 195/ticker/130

Height: 5'2"

I do this, but I need the person/people who are sharing with me to do their part! lol
Once I decided to share a piece of cake at a restaurant and my friend was eating so slowly and I kept taking bites!
As long as you could control it I really hope it works!!!
kk140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:20 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 320/170/145

Height: 5'7

if i do this in the company of others i realized im OK but if im alone.... bad idea haha one bite turns into one more and so on
nicollle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #13  
Persevere! You can!

S/C/G: 234/178/134

Height: 5'5"

Nope, I cannot do this. We had friends round the other night and were playing board games, and there was a packet of Doritos going round. Part of me thought, 'meh, just have one' but I decided I wouldn't even tempt that and instead I just forgot about them, said no to each one, and got on with the evening.

My flatmates have a really bad habit of buying cakes, 'just to be nice' they say but I don't think it's nice at all! It wouldn't be so bad if they ate them, but they just sit in the flat for weeks and weeks, and every time I go through to the kitchen I have to stop myself from having one (or them all).
georgiad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #14  
Ija
Extra gluten

S/C/G: 286/135/135

I couldn't do it at first, but it's something I learned to do successfully over time. It takes a lot of initial self-control, but becomes an automatic habit eventually. I think you really nailed it, though... it's quite liberating to find yourself in full control of treat foods
Ija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 03:28 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 345/ticker/170

Height: 5'8

LoriBell .. Well said !

I'm definitely one that can't do it, nor do I want to even tempt myself into testing it !

I've just never been really good with moderation, otherwise I wouldn't be at this weight. One little bite always turned into another and another, until whatever it was that I was eating was gone.

I don't feel deprived. For me, bad food has done me no favours. All it's done is manipulate me and keep me from living my life in a normal happy way. I've cut it out of my life, just like I would any other relationship that treated me this way. I know that I do not have whatever it takes inside of me to just have "one bite".

This is just my thoughts for me personally. If you can do it and it works for you, more power to you. Good luck !

Last edited by ruby2sday; 08-05-2009 at 03:28 PM.
ruby2sday is offline   Reply With Quote