Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 07-08-2009, 06:31 AM   #1  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Smile Puttin' another notch in my lipstick case......

Happy anniversary to me. Happy anniversary to me. Happy anniversary dear Robin, happy anniversary to me!

As of today, I’ve maintained my weight loss for 2 full years. 2 years. A drop in the bucket, I know, but I’m feeling good and happy about it. Though quite honestly, not surprised. I didn’t start this journey to ever, ever stop. I knew from the get go that I was “in this” forever.

Apparently, it must be some kind of big deal, because lately I’ve been getting a lot of comments on how I’m still keeping the weight off. I’ve recently bumped into quite a few people who hadn’t seen me in maybe 6 – 10 months or so and they all commented on the fact that I haven’t gained the weight back. Not only that, but 4 people inquired to my family about me as well, asking my husband and my daughters if I’ve kept the weight off. Could you imagine, they actually questioned my family? Funny thing is, one of them that asked my husband, is one of the few people who never even commented to ME about my loss. Ah, that’s another thread all together.

It was an easier year
. I’ve come to the conclusion that this isn’t all that hard. Simply because it is SO automatic to me. It is SO natural to me. This is just what I do and who I am. Just another day at the office. I am so used to doing it this way. My good and healthy eating behaviors and habits are just as ingrained & automatic to me as my bad ones were in the past. Every single day I have tasks that I perform to keep my household running smoothly, my family running smoothly and MYSELF running smoothly. My LIFE running smoothly, that is. I brush my teeth, make the beds, do the laundry, clean and straighten up, pay the bills, go to work, exercise, plan this, shop for that, chop this, cook that, eat this – don’t eat that. Automatic. Automatic, Automatic. Second nature. Second nature. Second nature. Not an option not to do it. Not an option not to do it. Not an option not to do it.

That doesn’t mean that everything always goes smoothly and there aren’t bumps in the road. Ohhh, because there are. There ARE. Same goes with raising children – it’s hard, but it’s not even close to the first thing that comes to mind when I think of raising my children. The first thing I think of is how much I love them and how much joy they bring me and – NOT how difficult it is at times.

My marriage, don’t even get me started – another hard thing at times, But I’m committed to making it work. It takes a lot of effort. But it’s very worth it, I couldn’t imagine life without it (him?) – so I MAKE darn certain that it works.

A quote that I’ve seen comes to mind:

If we would just recognize that life was hard, things would be much easier.

At least the hard of being thin is worth it. Totally and completely. Think added self-confidence, boundless energy, stamina, less worries, wonderful doctors visits, a HUGE tremendous wardrobe and that's just for starters. The hard of being overweight - not so rewarding.

I can’t go back to my old life. I just can’t. I know better now. When you know better you do better (most of the time anyway). Well, I know, I know!! There is not one day that goes by, not a one, where I am not once again taken aback and overwhelmed by just how marvelous, better, easier and more enjoyable it is to live this crazy thing that is life in a fit and trim body. I know what good eating and exercise brings about. The high of eating “those foods” is a quick temporary fix. While the high of eating healthy foods is a loooong permanent all day, every day & into the future fix. “Quick temporary fix?/loooong permanent all day, every day & into the future fix?” Well, which would you choose? I don’t know about any one else, but I’m choosing that loooong permanent, all day every day & into the future fix! Yup, yesireee – you betcha.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:12 AM   #2  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

Well happy anniversary Robin.

I guess people are so used to the "95% of diets fail" that they just expect you to gain back after a few months?
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #3  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Yay!!!

Good for you, Robin!

It's wonderful to know that you don't ever have to go back, isn't it?

Jay

(P.S. You know what? It's my 2 year anniversary, too, only yesterday.)
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #4  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

wow, happy anniversary, Robin!

and, as ever, your post gives valuable insights for the rest of us, for now and for the future. apart from all the wisdom, your joy is just so infectious that it's impossible not to say, 'I'll have what she's having'.

Carrots dancing!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:47 AM   #5  
Pretty harmless really...

S/C/G: Maintaining 142-148

Height: 5 ft 8.5" athlete who can give a punch & certainly take one too! :)

Bravo to you RR, now there's good reason your name is rockinrobin, cuz girl you are really really rockin!
evilwomaniamshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #6  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Happy Second Anniversary Robin

Happy Anniversary Robin (rockinrobin) -

Great milestone! Kudos to you for recognizing its importance and for seeing yourself "in this" forever.

I do like your comparison to brushing your teeth; is is odd to me that I brush twice daily without any thought that I'm doing something special. Would love for my food plan and exercise plan to follow as easily.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #7  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Thumbs up And Big Happy Second Anniversary to Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
(P.S. You know what? It's my 2 year anniversary, too, only yesterday.)
Happy Anniversary to you also Jay (JayEll).

It so encourages me to see you marching forward as if this was just the right way to live.
BillBlueEyes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #8  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Oh, RR. I so needed this post this morning. I hear you on so many levels. Yes, yes, yes I do. I love the comment about, "just another day at the office." I also love you addressing the difficulties in life--that is what life is--difficult at times. I agree with you on the children and the marriage. Agree, agree, agree! I cannot imagine my life without him, without them, and I don't want to imagine my life without taking the steps necessary to care for my body properly.

Happy Anniversary Robin. Know that you have inspired me. I look forward to reading more from you on the boards.

p.s. Do you have your before/after pics anywhere? I would love to see them. Mary
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:12 AM   #9  
Giovanna

S/C/G: 186/see ticker/145

Height: 5'8"

What a great message, RR! Congrats!
Late to the game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:25 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/152/123

Height: 5'1"

Congratulations Robin!

After reaching my goal about the same time you did, I totally admire the hard in what it took to come this far. I gained a good bit of my loss back by sliding back into the easy, so I am back again - this time losing as I work on the Maintaining mentality.
softballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #11  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

Happy anniversary Robin, and happy anniversary Jay!

Bill, that's funny about brushing teeth. It took me a long time for brushing teeth to not be a chore to be avoided but to be something I just do automatically (I'll tell you a secret, I didn't start brushing daily until college! God only knows how much those million cavities cost my parents when I was a kid!).
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:46 AM   #12  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Happy anniversary, Robin!

You are a huge inspiration to me!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #13  

Happy Anniversary
luvja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #14  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Happy Anniversary Jayell too!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 09:01 AM   #15  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

WOW. Happy Anniversary!! I look forward to saying that to you every year for as long as we "know" each other!!!
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote