General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2002, 09:52 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 235/194/140

Height: 5'7

Angry This Diet Plan Works For Me.

I figured I'd add what I've been doing as far as dieting and seeing some results. I hope this will help someone else too.

Morning
Fruit or Slim Fast Shake or Cereal Bar. ((something small)) --Eating too much in the morning makes my stomach hurt.

Lunch
Any type of T.V. Dinner. (Usually Weight Watchers or Healthy Choice))-that doesn't exceed 400 calories.

Supper
A Large Salad, Footlong Subway sandwich ((Veggie Delight)), basically anything under 400 calories.

Plus I usually walk a mile a day. More if I can. Less if I can't. Doing this has been my eating plan for about 3 months. I've lost around 21 pounds. That seems like a healthy time to lose that much weight.

I have fallen off the wagon quite a few times. I love food!
Old 06-28-2002, 11:05 AM   #2  
One day at a time. :)

S/C/G: 254/248/165

Height: 5'9"

Sounds like this is working for you, but make sure you are getting enough calories.

Never eat less than 1200 calories per day! Less than
1200 is usually not enough to support your basal
metabolism and will ultimately slow your metabolism, causing those long lasting plateaus.

Make sure to plan for low-fat or fat-free snacks also if you are falling off the wagon often, the snacks will help keep you from over-eating as well.

Keep up the great work!
Tiffany
265 on May 15th, 2002
245 on June 25th, 2002
Old 06-28-2002, 12:45 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Hi there...

Just thought I'd offer you a few tips...

Basically, from the look of your menu, right off the bat I'd say you're eating WAY too much sugar and simple carbs and not enough veggies or lean protein.

I'd also suggest that, rather than three meals, you have 5-6 small meals spaced every 2-3 hours throughout the day. It's been pretty well established by countless studies (and for me personally - through experience ) that eating frequent small HEALTHY meals is much better for fat loss than a few big meals.

You've probably heard this before but BREAKFAST is SO IMPORTANT...ya need to get in the habit of fueling your body first thing in the AM, otherwise you slow down your metabolism and go into 'starvation mode' where your body will actually hang onto the fat and burn MUSCLE instead. Ya don't want that - because not only does muscle look better, but it chews through fat 24 hours a day, 7 days a week!

Okay, let's go through your menu and I'll offer some suggestions:

Morning
Fruit or Slim Fast Shake or Cereal Bar.
Check the labels on those SlimFast shakes (I call them SlimFat ). They are LOADED with sugar...and if you use the powder with milk you get even more sugar (all the carbs in milk are lactose - i.e. milk sugar). Instead I'd suggest oatmeal (not the instant kind - just the old fashioned Quaker Oats - takes about 2 minutes to make in the microwave) along with some protein - perhaps a couple of whole eggs or (preferably) four eggwhites and one whole egg, or a container of Egg Beaters made into an omelette. Either that or get some protein powder and stir some into your oatmeal! Cream of Wheat ain't bad either.

3 hours later, have another small meal - such as an apple and 1% cottage cheese. Eating unprocessed 'clean' foods keep your metabolism chugging along and burning fat! (try dicing the apple and nuking it with some cinnamon and Splenda for a couple of minutes, then add the cottage cheese - YUMMY!)

Another meal idea - fat-free, no-sugar-added yogurt combined with cottage cheese - use a spoon to stir or blend it until smooth.

Lunch
Any type of T.V. Dinner. (Usually Weight Watchers or Healthy Choice))-that doesn't exceed 400 calories.
Again, check the labels - those frozen dinners are usually LOADED with sodium and preservatives that will actually IMPEDE your fat loss - not to mention they're usually short on protein and veggies. If you MUST eat them - at least have a veggie on the side or a big healthy salad (with dark greens, not just iceberg lettuce which has no nutrients in it). I'd actually suggest a chicken breast, veggies and small baked potato or brown rice instead of the frozen dinner. Try making a stir-fry (using a nonstick skillet and Pam spray) with lots of veggies and chunks of chicken, with brown rice (I use Minute Brown Rice - VERY convenient). It'll keep you MUCH more satisfied that those itty bitty frozen things.

2-3 hours later - I'd add another meal like yogurt/cottage cheese, fruit/chicken breast, etc. Some more veggies would be good as well - you CAN'T ever get enough green veggies - they HELP your fat loss! Make sure you drink lots of water during the day as well.

Supper
A Large Salad, Footlong Subway sandwich ((Veggie Delight)), basically anything under 400 calories.
I guess we should 'thank' Jared for giving everyone the impression that Subway sandwiches are a health food. But let's look at what you're getting. White bread with no fiber (even the 'country wheat' is just white bread with a little brown coloring, really) that brings your insulin level WAY up and goes straight to your thighs, with some iceberg lettuce that has little or no nutritional value with a sprinkling of thinly sliced tomatoes and green pepper.

How about this suggestion - make a BIG GREEN SALAD - using romaine or dark green lettuce...tomatoes....shredded red cabbage...baby corn...shredded carrots...beets...a few garbanzo beans...and mix in some protein - like some shredded chicken breast meat or some tuna fish mixed with cottage cheese and pickle relish? Throw in your favorite light salad dressing (not a ton of it - maybe a tablespoon) and toss well. A little dressing will cover a MASS of salad fixings if you toss it well enough. On the side - skip the bread or croutons - instead nuke a small yam or white potato. A MUCH more filling meal and your body will thank you for it!

Please don't take these suggestions as criticism - I'm just trying to help

You can catch me on the Body for Life/Bodybuilding board if you have any questions. Take care!
Old 06-29-2002, 03:40 PM   #4  

What they said. As Tiffany noted: the calories seem a little low. As Mrsjim said: everything she said. There seems to be too much sugar and simple carbs. You need some protein in there. Also Slimfast anything is loaded in sugar as are cereal bars.

I would (and do) eat more frequent meals (keep the blood sugar level) and add protein. It also seems like you might get tired of that menu.

Try some chicken and baked potato and broccoli (sometimes I put the chicken and broccoli in the baked potato and top with fat free cheese and nuke...yum. Also add some salads and more whole foods.

Your plan will probably result in shortterm quick weight loss but for success in the long run, I'd suggest some changes.

good luck!
susan
Closed Thread