Old 07-01-2009, 08:25 PM   #1  
Just keep breathing!

S/C/G: 191.7/191.7/145

Height: 5'5

Default Apartment hunting! *Angry face*

I don't know exactly who is to blame for this - But whomever it is, apartment hunting in my town is down right awful!!

I have been calling around for MONTHS looking for a decent apartment in a safe neighborhood..... We're not even talking about anything fancy - no air conditioning, no Berber carpet, no balcony, no garage, no dedicated parking, or washers and dryers, it doesn't have to be a place that accepts pets. Just a newly engaged young-professional couple looking for a year long lease on our first home --- and yet there is nothing available! You can't find *anything* for under 900 dollars a month, and if you DO find it - there's a stinking 18 person wait list!!!

I'm trying to find something for the end of August, under $1000 dollars a month. I've been calling people since ten oclock this morning - and all I've gotten out of it is my name on two wait-lists, behind at least 20 other people. I'm getting so fed up, and frustrated, and down right SAD about it!!!

I knew jobs would be hard to find in the area - but apartments?! Is this a bad economy thing? Is this an Alaskan thing? Have any other 20-somethings encountered this in your area??? Who do I send an angry letter to?! I do not want to be homeless just because there's nothing freaking available!

I'm definitely going to spend a little more time looking in to transferring schools if this keeps up!
GradPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

I don't know what availability is like around here (So Cal) but prices are definitely no better!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 311/303/170

Height: 5'10

Hey, Being in the apartment industry myself, I can say in Myrtle Beach SC, I'm 98% leased out on a 630 apartment community. We have some good deals on some nice apartments. Too bad your in Alaska!
MacAttack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #4  

What you have experienced is all over the country. There is no one to send an angry letter to. As long as people pay the big bucks, there is no incentive to build apartments that rent for $1k or less. I live in Yorktown, VA. Apartments begin at $1,000 and that is for a studio or maybe 1 bedroom if you are lucky.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:25 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

In San Jose we would rejoice if we could find an aprtment for $900 .Apartments are available but are high priced.

Last edited by bargoo; 07-01-2009 at 09:38 PM.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:27 PM   #6  
Here We Go Again

S/C/G: 256 / TICKER / 140

Height: 5'3"

Oddly my DF & I haven't experienced this. We've been in two apartments so far. We currently pay $875 right now for a jr one bedroom. But some apartments around here are $1200+ for studios. Our landlord sucks and thsi apartment is very small but...What can you do?

The very bad neighbors are about $400+.
WormwoodDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #7  
Chaos in Action

S/C/G: 250/210/160

Height: 5'4

I am so sorry! That must be incredibly frustrating. I am suddenly very grateful for the availability of reasonable housing in my area.
paradoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 09:44 PM   #8  
There Is No Wagon

S/C/G: 33.3%/21.8%/19%

Height: 5'5"

I think in many parts of the country, bc people are afraid to buy in case the mkt hasn't bottomed out yet, or bc they can't get financing, people are staying in the rental market which might be responsible for the low vacancy rate.

At least you have the advantage of looking with your bf. I think for most 20-somethings, living without roommates is still a dream. I just bought my house last year but I can't afford it myself...I'm in a college town so I always have a roommate. Luckily it's a decent-sized house with two bathrooms...I know it's not ideal, but maybe you could widen your search if you considered going in with others?

Good luck!
forestroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:06 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Yeah, all the foreclosures have to go live somewhere.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:05 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 261/241/160

Height: 5'11

Have you checked on craigslist? You may be able to find something on there or at least a person who needs some roommates. Not the best situation, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.
Phantom Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 12:25 AM   #11  

If it makes you feel any better, the only way I could only pay 900 bucks a month in my neighborhood is with several roomies. The last time I was able to pay around that price was about 9 years ago .
But, I know prices are all relative, so I don't mean to downplay your struggles. You should seriously look into renting a house with a few roommates, esp if you are still in school, there are probably several people in the very same situation as you. Maybe you should place an add in craigslist, or with your school listing your need for roommates. Your school housing department might even have leads or a roommate matching service.
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 02:27 AM   #12  
Double chin be gone!

S/C/G: 263/254/200

Height: 5'9

I pay $1350 for a one bedroom in an okay area of Los Angeles.
I feel your pain Eskinomad.. Apartment Hunting SUCKS!!
I'll send you good vibes.
PopcornFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 07:14 AM   #13  
Just keep breathing!

It isn't so much an issue about price/roommates right now. We're fortunate enough to have a steady double-income - but even WITH meeting the astronomical rent fee criteria - there's still nothing OPEN!

I look on Craigslist daily as well for any good deals that open up, but everything on craigslist seems to be "Available immediately" and I don't need a place until late August. I'm a planning/list person though so something as big as a year-long lease waiting until the very last minute is sooooooo stressful to me. Also to boot - I'm starting to notice the super shady apartments on craigslist seem to be priced WAY higher than any of the decent-looking complexes here.

One of the places I called today only had a four person wait-list in front of me, so for now we're just keeping fingers crossed for that one, and waiting to see what comes available on craigslist closer to our move date

Last edited by GradPhase; 07-02-2009 at 07:14 AM. Reason: typos :)
Old 07-02-2009, 12:03 PM   #14  
Colleen

S/C/G: 155/131/120

Height: 5'1"

I'm trying to find a place in Fresno right now. SO ANNOYING. People don't call you back, they seem interested and then vanish.

It's made worse by the fact that I'm going to be doing Americorps which means a) no money and b) I'm not actually in Fresno until the day I have to move it.

I did this going to San Francisco the other summer and it was NOT such a big freaking problem. I just hope something works out soon. I have to move on the 24th. I didn't do anything for a while because twice now I thought I had a place only to have something change at the last minute.
SavingServo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:53 PM   #15  
Just keep breathing!

Just an update! We finally found a place and signed a lease last Tuesday! We move in in about a week and a half! Yippee!!

It's a pretty tiny place, one (SMALL) bedroom, one bathroom - but it has a very tiny laundry room, an open kitchen, a little balcony and a gas fireplace - it's 955 a month + utilities - and I had to fight pretty stinking hard to get it! It took two and a half weeks of jumping through hoop after hoop with the manager of the complex. But it's OURS!

----------

On the flip side, I'm being laid off in a week due to "downsizing" and now we have rent to pay. Luckily we've saved up enough money to have a buffer zone while job hunting. Eugh.

At least we have a home, though! Thanks Chickies for all the good thoughts!