Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-30-2009, 12:43 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 239/239/180

Height: 5'4"

Default Replacing Calories burned???

Hi ladies, I need some help finding out whether or not I need to be replacing calories that I have burned by eating extra food.

I am currently on a 1200 calorie a day diet, and I work out alot. I have been replacing some of the calories, but I find it hard to replace all of them, because I sometimes work out for 3 hours a day. Yesterday for example I ate alot, I couldn't even think of trying to eat more (1366 calories) but I burned 942 calories, leaving me with 1366-942=424 caories. Is it ok to do that, or should I eat the extra 776 calories to get back to 1200 calories. I'm not sure if my body will go into starvation mode, but I also can't be eating 24/7.

HELP
LINZLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:11 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

There is no need to eat back exercise calories, generally. HOWEVER, I do think your 1200 daily calorie level is a bit low given your height and weight. Do you have a partcular reason you are aiming that low? At that level you might not have enough energy to get through the level of exercise you're doing.

You might have better luck at a slightly higher calorie level (1400-1500, maybe), eating that every day without trying to eat back exercise calories.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:29 PM   #3  

S/C/G: See signature

Height: 5'5

I agree with Madalinn. I mean...its great that you can consume so few and not think to be more hungry, I honestly dont know how..but hey...more power to you. BUT...with the amount of exercise that you are doing, your body will eventually shut down on you. Seriously 400-500 calories to operate off of is well....crazy. Forgive me for being so rash, I am just concerned that you may have strong goals for a quick weight loss, which TRUST ME...Ive been there and then after a month, you lose your drive and well...gain again. I would hope not but it does concern me.

Either way...good luck. Medically, yes...your body should be in starvation mode but consuming that few, you will lose weight no matter what.
luckylindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #4  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I third that vote you don't usually have to eat back exercise calories, but if your activity level is high your body usually needs some more calories to keep up that kind of energy level so you might benefit from calculating the calories burned in those activities and maybe eat 1/4 of them... or 1/2... but beware a lot of activity calculators way over estimate your burn.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #5  
Samantha

S/C/G: 200/159/150

Height: 5'7"

You are consuming way too few calories for your height, weight, and level of exercise. If you are not careful, you will make yourself sick and begin to lose muscle (ie heart muscle). I know you want to get the weight off as soon as possible, but this has to be a lifelong commitment. I agree with the others, aim for about 1600 calories per day and make the calories count with fresh vegetables, fruit, complex carbohydrates, and lean protein. Oh, don't forget, you need a little fat in your diet like olive oil, fish oil, or the fats found in nuts.
Samantha100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #6  
ddc
getting back to 140

S/C/G: 155/154.2/140

Height: 5'7"

I heard Jillian Michaels say that she puts all of her Biggest Loser girls on 1200 calories per day and they work out for several hours per day.
So, who knows???

I'd say cut back on your exercise. Sounds like a recipe for burnout, to me.

Good luck
ddc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 11:31 PM   #7  

Well, I am eating super healthy, I used the 1200 calorie mark because for my height and size on an online chart it said 1200 was the minimum calories I should intake, so naturaly I would try to do that, but I seem to be eating upwards of 1300-1600 anyways. I am not trying to starve myself, I'm getting enough food and I am doing it the healthy way by eating better. I don't feel like this is something I am going to fail at, I actually feel it's super easy, and I can't beleive it's taken me this long to see it.

Lucky lindy- I am not eating 400 calories a day, I am eating over 1200, and burning 900 so I subtracted my calories burned from calories consumed to get 400.

Thanks for everyones advise, I will bump up the calories to 1300-1600 and not worry about eating back calories burned.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:32 PM   #8  

ddc- once I start exercising I can't stop, I find it addictive, but I am taking a full day off each week and I do not feel burned out at all.