Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2002, 07:03 AM   #1  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs down The 21 Day Challenge: Making Healthy Habits #2

The 21 Day Challenge was originally posted by Katrina, from an EDiets forum.(Thanks, Katrina! ) This thread is based on that idea, but is more generic: YOU decide what behavior you want to focus on (you might want to follow WW or some variation, or may just want to commit to a certain amount of exercise -- whatever behavior you would like to make a habit) and commit to that for 21 Days. Then you might continue on for another block of the same, or you may want to add another behavior. The idea is that it tales 21 days to form a new habit. Sometimes it takes a lot of starts before you get through the first block of 21 days but if you persevere, you WILL make it. And it gets much easier as you go along, until - YES! - healthy behavior becomes a habit!

21 DAY CHALLENGE

1. Your 21 days must be CONSECUTIVE days! That is the whole point in forming new habits.

2. This works on the "honor" system...no one will monitor you...if you "mess-up", you are only cheating yourself by not beginning again! The importance behind this challenge is to have 21 consecutive days of self control!!

3. What do the numbers mean that you see by peoples' names?? They stand for DAY/POUNDS LOST/BLOCK. 1/0/1 is Day 1, 0 pounds lost, Block 1.

4. Once you have finished block #1 (the first 21 days) you will progress to block #2...

5. For each block, you should state your rules and follow them for 21 days... repeat this as many times as necessary until you are at your goal. Your rules may be as specific or vague as you want: for example, I've considered just at the end of each day, asking myself whether my behavior would lead to better health (and weightloss) and counting myself on track if it did. Or you can stipulate as many rules as you'd like - if you want to change your plan, simply start over with a new Day 1.

Good luck to you as you complete your journey! YOU CAN DO THIS!!! It all starts with a single step... and following with a new one each day!!

Last edited by Arabella; 06-26-2002 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-26-2002, 07:39 AM   #2  
Happy Member

Default Day 6 for me!

So far, so good. This is sorta fun. It is a constant reminder to stick with the program, etc.
I walked yesterday, and plan to walk today. This is wonderful walking weather - cool in the mornings which makes it just right.

Everyone is doing so very well, and I hope they all come over to this thread, Babette. Thanks for starting a new one.

The cat is indicating that he is ready for breakfast, so I must go. Everyone, stick with it and have a good day.

6/0/1
Old 06-26-2002, 07:45 AM   #3  

Default This is the new thread.

Good Morning Blockettes!

Post here, My Darlings! Read up on the other threads if you need to catch up, but post to this one. K?

I had a successful Day 2 yesterday. 32 points, offset by 9 exercise points. I walked over to pick up my grandson and then took him in his stroller to visit my mum and then back to his place, and home again. All told, 2 hours mostly pushing a stroller (hands up -- burns more calories? sure feels like more work) and some of it pushing a stroller and simultaneously carrying a chubby baby (he gets tired of being in the stroller and turns around to tell me so). Exhausting! Today I'm achy all over and could barely sit up straight until i'd had a couple of cups of tea. BUT. Was my hard work (for the week!) reflected on the scales this a.m.? NO. It was not. Well, I know that I deserved a loss, so all I have to do is keep on keeping on and next week will be a good one.

I'm into the end-of-the-month workathon, so I really should get at it. I'm going to do yoga throughout the day and then walk over to the gym when DH gets home from work, since I don't tend to get much done after he gets home anyway .

Let's make this a good one, Blockettes!

xo
babette
3/208 (-7)/2

Last edited by Arabella; 06-26-2002 at 07:49 AM.
Old 06-26-2002, 03:59 PM   #4  
a work in progress...

Default Much better...

Now EVERYONE can converge here, and we'll all walk around the same block together! yay!

Day 14...yowzer! I am postponing officail weigh-in til Friday...when period should be gone... Evil monthly bloat! Boo...hiss! Food choices remain good...just had a huge tomato/spinach sandwich for lunch with baby carrots, red pepper strips and radishes on the side. Breakfast was a mango and a bowl of watermelon...tonight's dinner will be the salsa thingy I mentioned yesterday...never got around to making it...today is FOR SURE a day not to be cooking...

Exercise has been fairly consistent...if I don't make it to the gym for my step classes or whatever, (tonight is Fitball/Cardio) I either walk or do something to burn some cals...lawn work, gardening...

Well, I'm off...errands to run, things to do...yada yada yada...

See you later, blockettes!
Old 06-26-2002, 10:17 PM   #5  
Domestic Engineer

Default Day 4...I'm on a roll!

Whew- just made it! DH and I went to DQ- it's the hottest day so far (crone I know you would think I was a baby- but 34 C is HOT enough!!) Anyway, I escaped with just a couple bits of his turtle sundae- yum

Had a couple more diet cokes than I probably should have...but I'm drinking cans now so it's still less than the 44 oz Super Big Gulp that I was getting...Still had plenty of water too.

I hadn't cooked all week- leftovers, hot dogs, sandwiches etc...but had had enough of that and wanted a real meal- plus we are trying to be really frugal so didn't want to eat out and also wanted leftovers for DH's lunches. So I made a King Ranch casserole- yeah real smart to heat up the house even more...we may be sleeping in the basement tonight! I only had a small portion though. I've been really on track for eating...helps that we've banned ourselves from fast food. Mostly to save some money, but I know it will help with weight too.

Well, I'd better get these kids to bed. Thanks for all the support guys. I feel like I can keep this going..around and around the block

4/? (I'm starting to feel it!)/1
Old 06-26-2002, 10:46 PM   #6  
Hot Stuff

TA DAAAAA!!!!! Day 21 complete with a 1.6lb loss for the week! I am feeling really good about being OP for three weeks and losing a total of 8lbs in this block. *yay me!*

This is all working out really well with my WW plan. Tonight I got the activity calculator, and I wanted to focus on increasing my exercise in Block Two. I've been doing 20 minutes/day, so I'm going to up that to 30min/day, minimum. Most days I do more than 20 anyway, but there are days I'm tired/busy/etc. and I manage to squeeze in the minimum time.

I want to thank all of you for being such a great bunch and I want you to know that your posting here really kept me motivated over the last few weeks. I'm so glad I joined you all!

Block Two starts tomorrow, for now:

21/-8lbs/1

PS: I got another recipe tonight, this one is an orange/cucumber/green pepper/red onion salad that is 1 point per serving. If anyone is interested, I'll post it tomorrow.

Last edited by Wildfire; 06-26-2002 at 10:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2002, 11:24 PM   #7  
Empress/Queen

Talking Someone said Bart Simpson was around here...

Is he on Weight Watchers?

Brain cells asleep waiting for the rest of me to catch up! Ending Day 4 with 2030 calories, 130 minutes of exercise (one two hour pole walk this a.m., 10 minutes on the aerobic rider midafternoon, resting tonight). Day Five coming up!!!

Babette: Thanks for the new thread! It's nice to converge our blocks around a central cul-de-sac ... even though our neighborhood ranges from Canada, England and the U.S. and possibly other places I'm not aware of. You are doing so well on your block walk, Babette. I do agree you deserved a loss, but I think your body is just preparing a nice surprise for you next weigh-in!

NEWS FLASH!!!! Wildfire has made it ALL THE WAY around the block!!! At a press conference this afternoon, officials confirmed that Wildfire had lost 1.6 pounds for the week and a full 8 pounds over a 21-day period in which she remained OP as she progressed around the block. When asked for a comment, Wildfire said, "Yay!" We agree!!! WTG, Wildfire.

Jelynn: I definitely don't think you're a baby!!! But I do have two questions: What is 34 C in Fahrenheit? I should know this, but don't. Also, what is a King Ranch Casserole? Sounds interesting. You're doing great on the block ... keep on walkin'!

Katrina: Yowzer! You're on Day 14 Sorry about the evil monthly bloat, but your next weigh-in will likely be all the sweeter!

Good-night, Blockettes!

4/165(-0)/1

Last edited by Amarantha2; 06-26-2002 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2002, 01:36 AM   #8  
emerging from my cocoon

Day 4:

I think I must have lost a day somewhere...

Eating has been good, but the evil bloat has descended upon me too. Decided to risk the scales though - masochistic streak in me, I guess.
Got a bit of a surprise - 2lbs down. Let's hope it's not just some wierd fluid thingy.

Increased my exercise from nothing to small amounts this week - Doing the dreaded exercise bike when I can - watching MTV while I do it to avaoid watching how slowly the display creeps up.
Been doing brain-stimulating exercises (more physical than it actually sounds ) with my class. Yesterday my classroom assistant and I could barely walk (there are a lot of stretches and sit-ups involved), but the kids are all fine.

Everyone at work is doing some diet or other in prep for the Summer hols. The talk is all points and calories. It's good that there are fewer temptations lying around in the staffroom but I find it hard to tell anyone I'm dieting even though I have more to lose than anyone, for fear of failure - which makes it even better that I can come here...

4/-2/1 (at last!)
Old 06-27-2002, 06:18 AM   #9  

Thumbs down Day 4

Good Morning Blockettes!

Had a good day yesterday. I've been especially tired, so I just did some yoga and walked to the gym and did a couple of circuits. Still a bit over an hour, though. Not bad. Next week I'll be able to dive into serious exercise again. Today Tai Chi may be my only exercise -- I'll wait and see how I feel later, but somewhat pulverized right now.

Katrina, you are doing FANTASTIC!! Imagine, staring down the TOM monster and never blinking. Bet you have another fabulous loss next week!

Wildfire -- YAY for you, getting all the way around the block! And 8 pounds off! Hey, I guess this thing works! We'll definitely have to get together when next one of us is in the other's territory (I go to TO from time to time, too).

Jelynn, you're doing great, too. Quitting fast food is such a good thing to do for your overall health as well as the weight issue. Me too -- I want to know, what is King Ranch Casserole? Sounds good -- does it have anything to do with Ranch dressing?

Crone, I'm so intrigued by the pole walking thing. Is it a desert-type hiking exercise? It sounds incredibly picturesque. 34 celsius is around 94 fahrenheit. Doesn't often get much warmer than that here! Here's a link to a handy conversion chart: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/pub/temp2.htm

Indigogirl, WTG on the 2 pounds! That's most excellent! And oh, please, send info on "brain stimulating exercises" ASAP. It's a bit of an emergency situation here

Let's make this a great day, Blockettes! Love to all!

xo
babette
4/208 (-7)/2

Last edited by Arabella; 06-27-2002 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-27-2002, 06:41 AM   #10  

Default Day 6

So far, so good. I've gone through the three heads of lettuce I had stocked up on so I need to buy more for tonight. I think it is really helping me with portion control for the rest of my dinner. And by taking my supplements regularly, I'm also feeling good about staying OP in general, without fear of shortchanging critical nutrients.

Wildfire, you're awesome. Congratulations! Good for you starting a new block and I think it is an especially good idea to focus on exercise. Certainly something I'd like to do in a future block.

Indigogirl, I think it is a good idea to avoid saying anything about trying to lose weight. Besides, it will be so much better to be able to say that you *have* lost weight!

Good day to everyone!
Old 06-27-2002, 06:46 AM   #11  

Smile Thursday

Hello all!!

I forget what day I'm on but I know I have kept nearly all my goals except for the activity goal. We have been in a heat wave so I have been only in the house, doing the stairway but not agressively. Heat effects me very quicky so I hope to catch up when the break comes tonight-- They dont think it'll be cool but here on the East coast, hot almost always means muggy and poor air quality-- even 5-10 degrees less makes an enormous difference.

This week I tried tofu and am looking to incorporate more recipes with it. My husband is also adding a sprinkling of cashews, pine nuts etc to the stir fry . I forget right this minute why- -

I am almost at the end of week 3 of my new job and am at the point where I remember quite a bit but only know enough to be dangerous!!

My lunch is a goofy time so I havent made any lunch buddies yet-- I'm working on the lunch challenge -- yesterday, just sat at my desk and ate yogurt as it was just too oppressive to go out

CONGRATS TO ALL !! keep up the good work!
Old 06-27-2002, 07:38 AM   #12  
Happy Member

Default Day 7 is here!!!

One week is completed with no major problems. I am still OP, albeit just barely. Was greatly tempted to binge big time last night, but managed to keep my thoughts firmly fixed on the end goal so no damage was done.

On the positive side I walked vigerously and at length yesterday. This is through our residential area and down by the river. Saw lots of pretty flowers. It was good for me. I won't do it today though since I am going to a luncheon, which will present me with another possible temptation. We'll see. Why is so much of our lives arranged around food, food, food?

Everyone is doing so wonderfully well on this excursion around the block of healthy eating. Weight is being lost by some determined ones (where does the weight go when it is lost?) and no one is backing down from this challenge. Keep it up, 'blockettes' it is worth doing.

Kaylets, tofu is good!!! Yoyo Mom, lettuce is good!!! Babette, thanks for collecting us all together, -7 is a great number. Indigogirl, 2 lbs. is 2lbs gone forever! Keep up the good work. Crone, I have visions of you skiing through the cactus with your two poles. Wish I could do that. Wildfire, congratulations big time. You have done just great. What an incentive you provide for the rest of us. Jelynn, I have trouble with the heat, too. Living in the cooler country does mean we suffer a bit when it gets really hot, hot, hot. Katrina, consistency is the name of the game, and you are being consistent with both food choices and exercises. You are a great example for us.

(7/0/1)
Old 06-27-2002, 07:53 AM   #13  

Default sleepy Thursday

Good morning Blockettes. Both kids have been under the weather, DD with her period, at 12 it's still new to her and every cramp is life and death. DS has been running a low grade fever and just feels achy and yicky, poor guy. So I was up most of the night doling out meds and adjusting heating pads and stroking foreheads. They're both sleeping now. It's one of those "thank goodness the new day is FINALLY here" mornings!

Congrats to all for keeping on keeping on, the losses just keep piling up. Jeylnn, I love King Ranch Chicken (as we say here in south Texas). I've yet to find a good point friendly version, plus I'd have to make it and freeze portions so I wouldn't eat the entire thing, since no one else in my family would eat it. I say "casserole" and they scatter to the four winds.

Indigogirl, about the only exercise I get is also on my stationary bike. I cover the readout with something so the numbers aren't visible all the time otherwise it drives me bananas. I check it periodically to see how long/many calories burned/how many laps. I ride for 20 minutes at a time, at least twice a day, working up to three times a day. I've tried to go for 30 minutes at a time but my rear end gets to hurting so bad I just can't seem to last that long. It's also the best time for me to read a book. It's like the only time that the family knows not to disturb me is when I'm on my bike so I can count on 20 minutes of uninterrupted reading. I'm halfway through John Grisham's The Street Lawyer.

Crone, I was just reading about pole walking in some magazine recently, it sounded intriguing. Of course I'm so uncoordinated I'd probably hurt myself somehow.

Keep on trucking Blockettes, have a great day.
upandaway
11/3/1
Old 06-27-2002, 09:54 AM   #14  
Domestic Engineer

http://www.journaltosuccess.com/reci...ecords=1&ww=on

There's the recipe for the King Ranch chicken casserole- I would make it spicier next time, but it was pretty good and I made it as low-fat as I could with what I had on hand.

Funny upandaway, casseroles are one of the only thing I can get my boys to eat (4 and 20 mo.) My 4 yo was all, "But I don't like the red and green things" and I replied "oh yes you do" and he believed me I had to call the tomatos salsa though and the green pepper he was fine with as it was "melted"-- ahhh kids.
Hope yours are feeling better!!

JOjojo- your walk sounds lovely! We have a river bottom here too and is so nice down there. Even more so this year as we've actually got water!

Kaylets-Id love to hear what you are doing with tofu! I'm always wanting to try it, but never quite get there.

Yoyo- good job with the salads. I love eating them, but don't love making them. You are inspiring me though.

Babette- sounds like you still did a lot for a tired day-- probably smart to listen to your body-- sometimes it needs a rest! Repairing muscles and letting go of fat and all that...

Indigo- great job on the 2lbs and exersice! Just keep it up and before you know it you will no longer be the "one with the most to lose" You can do this!!

Crone- I'm curious about pole walking too! And I showed my Canadian colors by posting in celsius! (have only been here 5.5 years...) I still convert so I know what the temp is in farenheit... I don't know what my ideal temp is... perhaps about 80.

And Wildfire...you deserve a big Whoo-Hoo!!! for making it around the block and losing 8 lbs to boot!! Very motivational to know that this really can work!! Good for you.

Well, I'm off -- playgroup at the park this morning. I've had an extremely busy work week so I'm looking forward to being with my boys and gabbing with friends Have a great day everyone

Last edited by jelynn; 06-27-2002 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-27-2002, 10:02 AM   #15  

Hey.. I really love this idea! I don't do WW, I count calories and walk. I have so many goals I want to accomplish.. and getting to my goal weight of 120 is #1.

This would be my Day Two of staying on program.

Elaine
NYC

215/210/120
Closed Thread