Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:32 PM   #1  

Smile Running clothes

I was wondering what people who run wear while running. Most running shorts are tight or uncomfortable because they ride up too much. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:50 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 275/222/140

Height: 5'6"

I wear knee length workout pants. I had the same problem, but dont have to worry with knee length stuff. They also make shorts with built in underwear liners, and they don't ride up as much as other shorts. Good luck finding something that works for you!

Last edited by utgirl09; 06-24-2009 at 11:50 PM.
utgirl09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #3  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

I like Nike (perfect fit style) capri pants. Snug enough to provide some smoothing and support and I don't ever feel wet eventhough I'm drenched with sweat.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 05:55 AM   #4  
MBN

S/C/G: 150/G:finding the happy me

Height: 5'2"

I'm one of those that hate the way that regular running shorts can ride up. It's not so bad for short runs, but for long sweaty runs, I find them uncomfortable. I do my long runs in either bike-type shorts (not padded!), capris, or running skirts that have the compression short underneath. The only caution with the bike shorts is the shorter length can result in chafing (depends on your leg shape). You don't have that problem with the capri length. The only down side with the capri length is that they are a bit warmer. You'll just have to try and see what works ...

Last edited by MBN; 06-25-2009 at 05:56 AM.
MBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #5  

I wear regular running shorts (3" inseam or so, with liner) and use Bodyglide on my thighs if I'm worried about chafing. (If I've been running regularly in shorts, I don't need the Bodyglide. But the first few shorts runs after a winter in tights, or the first few runs when I've been lazy or injured, I do.)

For folks who prefer more coverage, compression shorts (which as mentioned above look like bike shorts without the butt padding) are available in a range of lengths. Go with something that wicks sweat--look for a blend of polyester, nylon, and spandex that does not contain any cotton at all--and plan to wear them without additional underwear underneath.

Last edited by MariaMaria; 06-25-2009 at 08:22 AM.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #6  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I wear the Nike wicking shorts with built-in panty. They don't ride up and I love them, they are very comfie.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:55 AM   #7  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

I wear capris. I have to wear a knee brace and, well, it's ugly, so I like to keep it covered up. Before the knee brace became a necessity, I used to wear loose-fitting shorts (not tight running shorts, which always seem to ride up on me and also make my butt and hips look unsightly).

My favorites are the Lotus Capris by Athleta. They stay in place, they don't show a drop of sweat (at least in black), and they are very moisture-wicking (already drying by the time I get home from my workout).

Sometimes I wear thin compression shorts underneath my capris (but with looser fitting ones than the Athletas--those would show the shorts underneath). I find that the compression can sometimes help prevent side stitches--it sort of holds everything in place.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:05 AM   #8  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I wear capris as well because of the looser skin on my legs I'm not comfortable in shorts. Danskin has some great running capris and Target has some similar knock-offs (with the little zipper pocket in back) for like $20.00. On top I just wear tshirts... sometimes technical fabrics but sometimes just a t-shirt.

Plus proper running socks and shoes.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 10:46 PM   #9  

Thanks so much for the advice ladies! I liked the capris but Nike is too expensiveso I got evrerlast and I can't wait to try them out!
girlonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 180/147/125

Height: 5'7"

I wear nee length pants as well. Or I wear my floor length yoga pants but roll them up to the knee. I also just got a pair of knee length sweatpants which work well.
aneleh is offline   Reply With Quote