Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 06-23-2009, 07:24 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 222/ticker/150

Height: 5'8"

Question Reading instead of eating

There's two things I do when I get depressed - either I eat, or immerse myself in a book so I don't have to deal with it. (I'm sure neither is healthy, but one is much less evil than the other.) If I'm stressed I eat more than I read because I don't feel like I can spare the time. It's to the point that I don't take a lunch, and end up not getting paid for 4-5 hours a week that I don't "clock out" for lunch.

I was thinking maybe of starting sort of a virtual book club. I'm not sure if anyone else is in my boat, but if I'm reading something maybe I'll take a lunch to read it, which should help me cut down on the stress that builds up during the day - and therefore the stress induced eating. I could just say I'm going to read by myself, but if others aren't around to hold me accountable that's never going to happen.

So... anyone up for it? We could rotate the genre of books each time, so maybe we're exposed to something we wouldn't have read otherwise?
Shawski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 08:01 PM   #2  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

I wish I had time to do this with you. I am trying to get a double degree and I have two years left. All I read lately is textbooks! I don't mind reading the textbooks, but I don't think everyone else will want to go through books on HTML and JavaScripts.

What I really want to comment on is making alternative choices for stress relief. Because this is where I'm at too. I'm going through a particularly stressful time in my life right now, and I really, really, REALLY want to got to KFC and immerse myself in a bucket of extra crispy! I've literally been dreaming about it for days. I absolutely must find an alternative source for stress management.

I once watched a movie called What the Bleep Do We Know. It was all about how our brains are wired, how we can be addicted to our emotions as well as the behavior for overcoming those emotions. This gets hard wired into our brains. It can be changed, but it takes a steel will. It takes recognizing the behavior (check), recognizing the mental state we're in when we are inclined to apply the behavior (check), stop ourselves from going to the old behavior (um...sometimes) and choosing to instead do the new behavior (which I have yet to discover).

I was considering doing some upper body weight lifting when I can for around 20 minutes to release endorphins, or maybe find some reflexology I can do on my hands that will help alleviate stress. I wonder if that's why people wring their hands when they're stressed...

So, in conclusion, I think reading a good book is an excellent alternative to eating when you're not hungry! (I knew I could get to the point, eventually.)

Georgia
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 09:37 PM   #3  

Height: 5'3"

Going to bed always works... unless it's lunchtime at work. ;-)
rachinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 01:51 AM   #4  

I like to watch TV when I get depressed. It really works on me.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #5  
Losing weight - Toning up

S/C/G: 159/128/120

Height: 5'7"

i read comics to relax because i don't actually have to read (aka. my mind don't have to work ). I like to read hair fashion magazine too - it's fun to see some ridiculous styles all the time

Last edited by Annita; 06-29-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Annita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 02:49 PM   #6  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

watching tv ,sometimes works,depending what is on. If I can I will go to bed.
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 01:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 162/155/115

I do exactly the same thing. When I am depressed, upset or stressed over something I tend to either eat way to much or pick up a book and read.

Reading always seems to help. The bad thing is I can read a 300 page book in 2 or 3 hours if all I just sit and read. A

A virtual book club does sound like a good idea. I'm always interested in reading different things.

Along with reading, I like to go for walks. If I'm really stressed or upset about something.. I'll go for a walk. It always helps to make me feels better.

Purefire =^.~=
Purefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 170/169/130

Height: 5'5

That sounds like a good idea! I read sometimes, to lose myself and forget the world around me. Usually I knit though. I'd be very interested in a virtual book club. I'm usually game for most genres.
butterflyangels is offline   Reply With Quote